Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon Stuffed and Wrapped Pork Loin (repost with pictures)

Options
NYcanuck
NYcanuck Posts: 21
Well I've gotten a few more cooks under my belt and had one that I wanted to share.  As background, I recently (finally) got the new Egg Genius and decided to use it last weekend.  As is my weekly process, I checked the grocery flyers on Wednesday to see who had what on sale.  It seems like ribs have been on sale everywhere over the last few weeks and I have grilled plenty of them.  That said, I was looking for something a little different, and found full pork loins on sale.  I wish I had taken some more pictures of the process but I will do my best to document it.

The Egg was filled with lump and hickory chunks and allowed to heat to 300F

I trimmed the loin to have a pretty uniform loin (about 12-14 inches in length).  I then sliced it open along the horizontal plane.

I seasoned the inside with Dizz Dust and layered in cooked bacon, fresh mozzarella and provolone cheese. the loin was them closed back up and seasoned with Honey Hog rub.  The loin was then wrapped in thick cut hickory bacon (raw) and tied tight with butcher's string. A little more seasoning on the bacon.

Loin was placed on the egg and I took a peek after about an hour:

Things were starting to look goooood!

I prepared a glaze of brown sugar, butter and Tiger Sauce on the stove and let it come to a simmer.  Added some ancho and dried chipotle.  I applied some glaze when IT was around 135F and again around 150F.  I should note here that for most people the 145-150F point would be good and ready to come off the grill.  I was preparing for folks I knew wanted it a little more done.  Quick snap at 150F:

The second picture was just as I was pulling the loin off the grill.

I wanted to let it rest a little to allow the juices to re-center so I had someone physically restrain me for about 15 minutes or so until I trimmed the edge cheese (it gets a little leathery) and cut into it:

And:

It turned out really tasty.  I would definitely do this again, however, next time I may try to cut it into more of a roll/roulade style for something different.  Also - even those this was taken to an IT of about 165F it was still moist and delicious.

Real quick, for those interested, you can see the chart of my cook here: https://myflameboss.com/cooks/309184 

Thanks for looking!

p.s. thanks to many of the other stuffed pork loins posted in the forums.  I used a lot of the temp and tips that have been posted elsewhere.
DFW: XLBGE - Long journey from Canada to NY to TX - I wasn't born here but I got here as soon as I could

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    Great cook and pics.  That glaze sounds quite tasty.  Way to elevate the pig contribution with the bacon enhancements.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.