Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need a salt and sugar-free rub for a pork butt.

Options
My super cool 90 year old neighbor fown the street from me just had a unexpected quadruple bypass surgery. Well he had it 6 weeks ago now. As I was talking to them today (he and his wife of 69 years) they mentioned how they are trying to put on weight. I did some subtle investigation, and apparently pork is fine, but no salt and/or sugar.  So I plan on making them a pork butt this weekend but need a salt free rub.

Anyone have a good salt-free rub for a pork butt?  I was thinking of going more of a porchetta route: garlic, rosemary, and garlic, but wanted to hear some other ideas that you might have. Thoughts?  
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Nothing to add here, but props to you for doing something nice for them
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Can they handle some spice?

My fav lately has been coarse ground cumin, coriander, and dried chiles. Dry roast the whole spices first. Maybe add some cinnamon or allspice to make up for the missing sugar.
    The bold flavors may make up for the lack of salt?

And you’re a good egg for looking after your neighbors. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Pepper
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've used the Andalusian blend from Spice Trekkers

w. all sorts of pork, but not a whole butt. Its one of my favorites. Very tasty, but not "spicy" as in hot.

The ingredients are listed on the page, tho' no proportions as one would expect. It has Spanish smoked paprika, but if the pork is being smoked anyway, good quality paprika would probably do. The saffron is noticable, but the bay is only a hint.

You might note other recipes they have. Being from Canada, they often have good herbal blends for meats.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Thanks guys. I will have to take a look when I get home to see what I have in the spice rack - a few really good suggestions here. 

I love these neighbors.  They are the best and coolest “old people” I know.  When I heard he had heart surgery, I immediately wanted to help them.  They have a long driveway - must be 900-1000 feet long (mine is 325), and I am wondering what he is going to do when it snows.  Usually he uses his wheelhorse tractor like I do and we both love “playing” in the snow, but there is no way could I do both when we get dumped on.  Seriously considering putting a plow on my small pickup just for the two driveways. But man, even used plows are a lot. If I win this lottery, It will not be a problem though... 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Another option

Garlic-Citrus Paste

12 medium cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    2 tablespoons dried oregano
    1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
    6 tablespoons orange juice
    2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.