Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FYI - Flame Boss and High Speed WiFi

Sadly, I learned yesterday that all of the Flame Boss products only operate on the 2.4 GHz frequency band of WiFi, and not on the 5.0 GHz band.  

Having recently invested a lot of time, effort and a few bucks to move the home WiFi over to 5.0 GHz for performance reasons and interference with my neighbors WiFi, I reluctantly returned my Egg GENIUS to the dealer...

I chatted w/ FB Support and they confirmed this, and didn't know if or when any future products will be 5.0 GHz compatible.  Had a really nice experience with them earlier when I asked if the Egg GENIUS would work with Google Home, but this frequency thing is a 'physical' limitation of the device... so I wait...  I also let them know that once I discovered that I could only use 2.4 GHz (late in the install/setup process...) that I reread both their site and BGE's site, and nowhere was there any mention of this tech spec.  They said that they would update their content, which I thought was really cool.  A lot of companies would ignore such a statement.  I will be back once the 5.0 thing is settled.

Thought you all should know, just in case...
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• Most Wi-Fi APs will run both frequencies, why turn off 2.4GHz? It doesn’t interfere. You can still run the rest of your devices over 5GHz. It may not be as fast, but it doesn’t seem like the FlameBoss takes much bandwidth anyway. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    My 200 runs on google wifi no problem.  Just b/c you have a 5.0 ghz router doesn't mean you cant run 2.4 devices.....that's how I understand it at least.
  • It's not like your egg genius is pushing a ton of data. There is no difference between 5Ghz and 2.4 if you aren't using the bandwidth. Also, 2.4 has better range so it may even work better since your egg is outside the home. My router handles both seamlessly and we use both all the time. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    In terms of coverage, 2.4 is the best option. 802.11n is fine for speed, you gain absolutely nothing with 5Ghz for flameboss.

A lot of the higher end Access Points push 2.4 and 5 Ghz. What AP's are you running?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• With devices such as flameboss, you want to be on 2.4 for better range. Getting fast speeds on 5ghz wouldn’t benefit you at all.... not unless there’s something I’m missing..?
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Thanks everyone, and yeah I get the differences and all, but it's just that we were having such drastic performance issues due to the interference from my neighbor's system.  Google Fiber probably spent a couple of hours with me through online support and then ultimately sent a tech out to the house who was here 2+ hours diagnosing and testing options.  Ultimately, we renamed the network, split it out and moved all devices to the 5.0 GHz network and it's been smooth sailing ever since.   I was averaging anywhere from sub 10 to about 30 Mbps on average prior, to now around 120 Mbps in my office on the opposite corner of the home, using 5.0.  And the Egg Genius would've been about 12-15 feet from my router, so connectivity wouldn't have been an issue. 
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...