Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salsa - delicious!

Comments

• Looks fantastic!

Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Fire roasted salsa.  I know that was fantastic.  Nice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Looks great. 1-5 what’s your heat level?
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Details? Gonna copy. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Wow... excellent!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    After the "fire roasted salsa" thread, We have made it every other week for us and friends.  I really hate to see summer turn to fall, as our tomatos and peppers are fading. In any case you can't beat it!!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the comments.  I didn't have a recipe really, I looked online for a shopping list and you can see the ingredients on the mini max there (next time I will use a bigger egg, it was tight!)

9 roma tomatoes
    3/4 vidalia onion
    1 jalapeno
    1 pasillo
    1 clove of garlic
    juice of 2 limes
    some salt (1-2 tblspoons?)
    some cumin (teaspoon?)
    some cilantro, tore about half of the head off of a bunch that I bought

Roast until charred, take skin off pasillo, throw in the blendtec to get mostly chopped up.  I was really good and my daughter and I ate half while it was still warm and my Jazz were destroying the Kings (I cannot believe how bad the Kings are this year, I feel for Sacramento, such is the new world of tanking to rebuild).  Next time it needs several more peppers.  This was just an experiment, wasn't sure how the heat level would turn out.  It will be gone tomorrow, another batch Saturday!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Looks great.  I like to add a shot or two of Cuervo gold for my pico de gallo. -salsa.
  • Man I bet that is delicious Cookingdude. Yesterday I ate an appetizer at Le Petite Grocery (a bistro in New Orleans) It was a fried softshell crab on a bed of fire roasted Kale and cherry tomatoes with a Rosemary Garlic Mayonnaise. It was incredible. The roasting transforms the salad ingredients. I usually hate kale. I bet it's the same with your salsa.  
  • Definitely doing this over the weekend.  Thanks for the inspiration!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Thanks for the comments.  I didn't have a recipe really, I looked online for a shopping list and you can see the ingredients on the mini max there (next time I will use a bigger egg, it was tight!)

9 roma tomatoes
    3/4 vidalia onion
    1 jalapeno
    1 pasillo
    1 clove of garlic
    juice of 2 limes
    some salt (1-2 tblspoons?)
    some cumin (teaspoon?)
    some cilantro, tore about half of the head off of a bunch that I bought

Roast until charred, take skin off pasillo, throw in the blendtec to get mostly chopped up.  I was really good and my daughter and I ate half while it was still warm and my Jazz were destroying the Kings (I cannot believe how bad the Kings are this year, I feel for Sacramento, such is the new world of tanking to rebuild).  Next time it needs several more peppers.  This was just an experiment, wasn't sure how the heat level would turn out.  It will be gone tomorrow, another batch Saturday!
    @cookingdude555 did you mean 1 head of garlic?  It looks like you roasted two heads.  Did you just take one clove out? 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    This is one of my newer favorites on the egg.  I skin the tomatoes after roasting - but think I will leave them on next time for comparison.  I may be throwing away a lot of good ‘char’ flavor. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Roasted two heads of garlic, ended up only using one. That stuff was hard to pull out it was so hot. 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    This is one of my newer favorites on the egg.  I skin the tomatoes after roasting - but think I will leave them on next time for comparison.  I may be throwing away a lot of good ‘char’ flavor. 
    Let me know how this works out please.  The cook is somewhat time intensive . Are you still going to core the tomatoes?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Also I cut off where the stem attaches to the tomatoes. Tried some more salsa tonight and it was even better. However the lack of heat was more noticeable. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My basic test to "include or exclude" the skin/burned stuff is to taste it.  If it tastes bad (char can be bitter) I remove it. If it tastes fine, I include some char as it adds some contrast and color to the salsa.  Also weighed in to this is how hard it is to remove the skin after cooking.
    Also I cut off where the stem attaches to the tomatoes. Tried some more salsa tonight and it was even better. However the lack of heat was more noticeable. 
    That's where a few drops of your favorite ghost pepper death sauce comes in handy.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    no doubt a few drops will contribute the heat of many Jalapenos. 

The dilution test for the Scoville scale spells it out.

That looks tasty!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va