Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - MEATER Block Update

CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
This showed up in my email this morning, looks like I might eventually receive it. 

56 | Mamma MEATER! Here We Go Again
Posted by Apption Labs (Creator)

Hi Everyone, 

Big news: We’re starting MEATER Block Production! 

We’ve received positive feedback from our beta testers, so we expect this stage to wrap up soon and without delay. We’ve scheduled a 100 MEATER Block production batch with a 1000 unit batch to follow. The initial 100 unit batch is a small run to ensure all the adjustments we made during the pre-production run were implemented correctly. Shortly after validating the units, we will begin the larger production batch. In this time frame, certification/compliance will be completed when the first 100 units start to ship.

As we did with the single unit MEATERs, we will begin production with small batches and ramp up in size as we continue to improve the manufacturing process. When we start shipping larger batches, it will be by region and order number. After our obligations to our crowdfunding backers have been met, we’ll start shipping to our meater.com pre-orders. We’ll let everyone know when the first 100 units are ready to ship once we have a definitive date and provide a delivery plan for each production batch as we start them. 

We’ve also made some very exciting improvements in the MEATER app: 

• MEATER Cloud Cook Share – Now you can monitor and share your cook through a web browser, which means monitoring your cook is now platform agnostic; it can work with more devices. For example: your laptop, your friends’ Windows phone, your work desktop, or Cousin Larry's smartphone without downloading the app. Simply go to your cook, share the link with another device, and presto magico, cook monitoring at your fingertips. This feature is available now.
https://youtu.be/xjtIyflRAvM

Cook Share Demo

Android on the left and iOS on the right Tap the highlighted icon to access the Cook Share feature
Android on the left and iOS on the right: Tap the highlighted icon to access the Cook Share feature.

*The Cook Share feature requires a MEATER Cloud account

• The app has been translated in the following languages: German, Finnish, French, and UK English. Look forward to it in a new app update next week!
  • Support for Vision Accessibility on iOS. The MEATER app supports the VoiceOver feature that allows the system to read the app text aloud.
  • Don’t forget, MEATER has the Alexa Skill for the English language. Enjoy hands-free monitoring of your food.

This has been a long process, and we are so thankful for the support that we have received from all of you! We can’t wait to hear from you about the ways you’re putting the MEATER Block to the test – and your opportunity is just around the corner. As always, if you have any questions or product feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Thanks for your continued patience and support.

All the best,

Joseph, Teemu, and the Apption Labs crew

Let's Meat Up 

Facebook: Click here and "Like" our page

Instagram: Click here and "Follow" us

Twitter: Click here and "Follow" us

Youtube: Click here and "Subscribe"

Google+: Click here and "+" us

Our store: meater.com

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Great to hear that they have finally gotten to this point. I know a LOT of people have been quite upset about the long delay and had given up ever expecting to receive the Block.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CTMike
    Just received another update:

57 | The Happytime MEATERs

It’s here. It’s happening! We’re shipping the MEATER Block!!!

The MEATER Block is ready to ship
    The MEATER Block is ready to ship!

A small batch of MEATER Blocks were shipped last week and should already be in the hands of our earliest backers. The last hurdle we had to clear was obtaining our compliance certifications and now that we have them, we will ship units as they trickle in from the factory.

Just like with the single unit MEATERs, we are producing small production batches and will continue to increase the scale and pace of production. We’re being cautious with our production process so that we can be sure each and every Block produced meets our high standards of quality.

In the coming months, we’ll ramp up production to larger batches so that we can fulfill all of our pledges and pre-orders before the end of the year. We will ship Blocks starting with the earliest backers. This means we will start shipping units to Kickstarter backers first, followed by Indiegogo, and then meater.com customers.

MEATER Blocks at the post office
    MEATER Blocks at the post office!

For the backers still awaiting their Blocks: be on the lookout in the coming weeks for a BackerKit email survey, which will confirm your reward and update your shipping address. Though we don’t have an exact date of when your particular reward will ship, we’ll keep everyone updated of the schedule.

As it stands today, we’re looking to fulfill the first 1000+ Kickstarter backers in September.

Everyone at Apption Labs is thankful for the support we’ve received, and we cannot wait for you guys to get your hands on the Block. We’ll continue to update you all on delivery and fulfillment, and hope you’re as excited as we are.

Get ready for the MEATER Block!

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    CTMike said: koko
    Just received another update:

57 | The Happytime MEATERs

It’s here. It’s happening! We’re shipping the MEATER Block!!!

The MEATER Block is ready to ship
    The MEATER Block is ready to ship!

A small batch of MEATER Blocks were shipped last week and should already be in the hands of our earliest backers. The last hurdle we had to clear was obtaining our compliance certifications and now that we have them, we will ship units as they trickle in from the factory.

Just like with the single unit MEATERs, we are producing small production batches and will continue to increase the scale and pace of production. We’re being cautious with our production process so that we can be sure each and every Block produced meets our high standards of quality.

In the coming months, we’ll ramp up production to larger batches so that we can fulfill all of our pledges and pre-orders before the end of the year. We will ship Blocks starting with the earliest backers. This means we will start shipping units to Kickstarter backers first, followed by Indiegogo, and then meater.com customers.

MEATER Blocks at the post office
    MEATER Blocks at the post office!

For the backers still awaiting their Blocks: be on the lookout in the coming weeks for a BackerKit email survey, which will confirm your reward and update your shipping address. Though we don’t have an exact date of when your particular reward will ship, we’ll keep everyone updated of the schedule.

As it stands today, we’re looking to fulfill the first 1000+ Kickstarter backers in September.

Everyone at Apption Labs is thankful for the support we’ve received, and we cannot wait for you guys to get your hands on the Block. We’ll continue to update you all on delivery and fulfillment, and hope you’re as excited as we are.

Get ready for the MEATER Block!

That's the one I got.  Hopefully I will have it sometime in September.  Haven't done a lot of cooking on the egg lately.   Maybe this will get me going again.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Soooo, Am I missing something here... "Connect anywhere via WiFi" like Flame Boss.. Monitor meat temp and ambient temp like flame boss... Control pit temp, not possible, unlike flame boss.. Is this much to do about nothing?
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • CTMike
    Good thermos for those of us who don’t use fans. Allows us to track 4 pieces of meat at one time all while also giving us pit temp. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • HeavyG
    Also, no wires which can be a pain sometimes and you can also use them with a rotisserie which is nice.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    One thing that bothers me about rotisseries is the giant hole in a slice of roast beef. I know it is not a big deal, but it is kind of a turn off. The Meater probe looks like it would leave a pretty big wound channel. Also, I am curious to see how long these things last in a hot environment.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    I cant wait to hear if they actually preform.  I have been watching these for a while

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Do you think it will work in your stick burner? That's where I think it would be beneficial the most for me. Just not sure how the reception would be around all that steel
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ladeback69
    Anyone else get a notice to confirm their order?  I just did.  Should be her before th ed rnd of the year 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • I have the single block and it works great. I leave an old iPad sitting by the egg. Worked great on rotisserie too, no wires. 
  • Ladeback69
    I ordered the block and hope to have it before the end of the year.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    I have 2 singles. They work great. Especially on the Joetissierie. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I'm curious to read some feedback once you all use these.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Anyone else get a notice to confirm their order?  I just did.  Should be her before th ed rnd of the year 

This thread nudged me to check, and it turned out that I had received an email to confirm. 

I think i've been ignoring their emails, because they're cutesy-pie updates, just to let me know of ANOTHER delay,  usually stoke the fire of the rage that I feel for them.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:

This thread nudged me to check, and it turned out that I had received an email to confirm. 

I think i've been ignoring their emails, because they're cutesy-pie updates, just to let me know of ANOTHER delay,  usually stoke the fire of the rage that I feel for them.  
    I'm not buying it out of spite because of the way they have treated everyone that bought the block. If this is their idea of customer service before the sale, Can't imagine how they are going to handle issues after. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited October 2018
    I'd rather just spot-check the temp periodically with a thermopen. Like a fart, I've never fully trusted a leave-in probe thermometer. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Most recent: Unless you are backer <1000 on Kickstarter, you can hope to get the block by year-end (4 probes)... or get this... They are actually offering that instead of the block, you could get 2 "new/improved" probes (no block) and they will ship now.  3 years late and now when it actually appears they are near the end zone they want to offer half of what was promised?  No thanks.!!  Unbelievably shady company.  I'll never back a Kickstarter project again. Kickstarter is hybrid of project financing. The difference is that Kickstarter projects can treat the public (backers) horribly compared to what a bank would allow. You think a bank would let you run 3 years behind schedule with no consequence? Project financing should be left to banks. If you can't hit budget and timeline you lose.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    caliking said:

I'm not buying it out of spite because of the way they have treated everyone that bought the block. If this is their idea of customer service before the sale, Can't imagine how they are going to handle issues after. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • I like the idea of these things but still trying to figure them out. On the single version it connects directly to your phone via bluetooth so if you walk too far away you loose connection right? On the other hand with the block you leave the block near the grill and that is what connects to the wireless system allowing visibility anywhere? Or do I have it wrong?
  • HeavyG
    I like the idea of these things but still trying to figure them out. On the single version it connects directly to your phone via bluetooth so if you walk too far away you loose connection right? On the other hand with the block you leave the block near the grill and that is what connects to the wireless system allowing visibility anywhere? Or do I have it wrong?
    You have it right.

• HeavyG said:
    I like the idea of these things but still trying to figure them out. On the single version it connects directly to your phone via bluetooth so if you walk too far away you loose connection right? On the other hand with the block you leave the block near the grill and that is what connects to the wireless system allowing visibility anywhere? Or do I have it wrong?
    You have it right.
    Leave an old phone or tablet near the cooker. Boom, you have the block. I understand everyone’s frustrations, especially the backers. The single probe has been fantastic for me. 
  • Ladeback69
    I ordered this when I was doing a lot of mass quantities of meat on my egg and WSM and didn't want to deal with wires.  Now I am not cooking as much, but glad I well be getting it finally. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    you meater, you broughter
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Ladeback69
    I can't believe it, my Meater block just arrived today  during another snow storm.   It's smaller then I thought it would be.  Instructions say to change the probes for 8 hours so that's what I am going to do before using them.  Just wonder how long of charge they have and will they last through brisket cook.  Guess I will have to find out.  More to come. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Super exciting.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Good luck!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    battery INSIDE the BBQ? 🤔🤔🤔

What could possibly go wrong? 🤔🤔🤔

paqman said:
    battery INSIDE the BBQ? 🤔🤔🤔

What could possibly go wrong? 🤔🤔🤔
    Don't know, but they have tested them to high enough heat to sear a steak.  Haven't tried them out yet.  Not interested in clearing the patio of snow yet, maybe this weekend.  I am thinking big thick steak to try one.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Try a 1/2" steak 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)