Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey-less Thanksgiving

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,457
edited October 2018 in EggHead Forum
It's Canuck Thanksgiving!

Roasted squash for soup...

Leftover uncooked wings from last week's fest...
https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/phttps://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/poultry/sweet-spicy-sriracha-wings

More leftover, Moroccan kebabs...
https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/beef/moroccan-ground-meat-kebabs

SWMBO made the sides: 
mixed taters... 

quinoa salad...

brussel sprouts w/ bacon...

Found this in freezer, first time cooking this cut, not sure if it's flat iron or skirt steak  :) ... hot and fast in the XL...

SWMBO made chimichurri sauce with mint from garden... tender and full of beefy goodness, can't believe I've never cooked this before...

New dessert, love it...

Thanks for looking, have a great week!
canuckland

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    It's Canuck Thanksgiving!

Just Gawjus!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Looks great, good eats.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Belated happy Thanksgiving, Gary! Made all the more happy with a feast like that :) 

I'm particularly impressed with the kababs. Did you use any binder in the mix? Its usually anybody's guess if my seekh kababs will stay on the skewer or not :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    caliking said:
    Belated happy Thanksgiving, Gary! Made all the more happy with a feast like that :) 

I'm particularly impressed with the kababs. Did you use any binder in the mix? Its usually anybody's guess if my seekh kababs will stay on the skewer or not :)
    That's because the one time you made them perfectly and they stayed on the skewer, you had not measured and recorded the ingredients - so now it's not reproducible.

(you're welcome @20stone

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:

That's because the one time you made them perfectly and they stayed on the skewer, you had not measured and recorded the ingredients - so now it's not reproducible.

(you're welcome @20stone

Bite me :smiley:

I've tried different binders for kababs (eggs, rice, whole wheat flour, chickpea flour) but don't care for what they do to the taste and texture. The one thing that has been promising is kneading the meat mix until it becomes tacky, like when we made our sausage .

@Canugghead has been at this for a while, and I'm sure he has tricks up his sleeve that I can learn from!

• Canugghead
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

@caliking No starch, egg, bread crumb, etc. to bind. You answered your own question ... knead till tacky. The recipe above didn't have water but I added some, sorry didn't measure.

However, I think cooking them on pellet pooper is one big reason they didn't come loose (except for few odd ones) ... I only needed to flip each once, and no worry with burning skewers.  I was worried they wouldn't stay because the skewer was skinny and tapered.

It's one of the reasons I chose to cook on Traeger at the fest this year, didn't want to flip/rotate hundreds of appetizer kebabs and wings on the BGE  =)
    canuckland
  • caliking
    You took a pellet popper to an eggfest?!?!  Blasphemy!!! :)

• Canugghead
    caliking said:

Haha, it was two events in one ... I jumped ship and cooked with pre-sold  Traeger + KJ demos. Blasphemy indeed  :)
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1212642/toronto-eggfest-and-smoke-show
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking said:

Haha, it was two events in one ... I jumped ship and cooked with pre-sold  Traeger + KJ demos. Blasphemy indeed  :)
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1212642/toronto-eggfest-and-smoke-show
    With the kind of eats you crank out, you're allowed that :)