Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Ribs & Persimmons - Sauce Recipe?

Options
Hi all - I’ve gathered persimmons from the trees on our farm and collected the pulp from them yesterday.  A search online earlier didn’t really provide me what I want, which is a recipe for a persimmon bbq sauce.  Does anyone have something along these lines?  I suppose I could use a peach bbq sauce recipe and substitute persimmons instead of peach.  Thoughts?  If I can get this done for dinner the sauce will be in the ribs!  And yes I’ll post pics as this unfolds..
Stuart
Burlington/Alamance County, NC

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ever have one that wasn't ripe yet? I did, about 60 years ago. Haven't had one since! =)

Did you try YouTube? Looks like there might be some on there. Here's one...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBc6UbaNnRU

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• AppStateDDS
    Options
    Got the ribs coated in Carolina High Country BBQ rub, and onto the Egg at ~250 with three chunks peach wood for 2.5 hours then in foil for maybe an hour - then unwrapped with a coat of sauce for a few minutes.  I mainly followed this Peach BBQ Sauce recipe, just substituting the fresh persimmon pulp in place of peach.  This makes a sweet sauce and next time I'll add a little heat - BUT ALSO - I'll blend the sauce, as the persimmon pulp gave the sauce a thicker consistency than what I expected (maybe the blender will help that).  Finally, got into the Elijah Craig to finish things off.  These made for a nice reward for getting the yard work done today!  
    Stuart
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    We have wild persimmons that grow here in Central Texas, but the ones I discovered along the mountain bike trails are maybe the size of a cherry. Minus the seeds, I reckon that it would take a couple hundred or more of those messy, fragile things to fill that jar. The purple ones i picked would rarely hold together long enough for me to even wash. My hats' off to you if you went to that much trouble to enjoy nature's bounty.
    Gittin' there...
  • AppStateDDS
    Options
    The persimmons we have are small too.  I collected what was likely 2 gallons of them and it produced nearly 10 cups of pulp, which truly surprised me!  I used a device that’s been in my family for 3 generations now to collect the pulp.  I need to see if I can come
    up with a pic of it.  It wasn’t as labor intensive as it seems!  The pulp usually goes for persimmon pudding..
    Stuart