Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked base

During my last cook, I discovered some liquid dripping out the bottom of my LBGE.  I found a nice hairline crack running from the front straight through the center, which splintered off into yet another crack.  That along with receiving some bad Wagyu short ribs for what should have been a good Labor Day cook, I was thinking that these past few weeks have not been "fun in the sun".  A local dealer put in a warranty request last Thursday and I was expecting at least a 2 month wait based on what other forum members have mentioned.  Got an email today that my base is in.   :)  Now to figure out how to get it home and assembled.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments

• This is fake news, only XL bases crack.

Glad you got yours that quick.  I am waiting on my L base warranty claim now for 2 months.  Dealer is telling me another 2 weeks as of yesterday.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    This is fake news, only XL bases crack.

Glad you got yours that quick.  I am waiting on my L base warranty claim now for 2 months.  Dealer is telling me another 2 weeks as of yesterday.
    That's crazy.  I wonder if being local played into the quick turnaround time.  They probably just have someone from the HQ just drop it off at the dealer.  Seems like you have more than a few other Eggs to play with in the meantime.   ;)
    Arteflame grill grate

• You are probably right. And your point about extra eggs is spot on. The L has been parked for two months while I wait, but the medium has picked up the slack. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    You are probably right. And your point about extra eggs is spot on. The L has been parked for two months while I wait, but the medium has picked up the slack. 
    Why are you afraid to use your broken egg until a replacement arrives? Or are you cooking on a wooden deck or something?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I've had 3 cracked XL bases - just replaced one this week actually.     The last crack was there for months and never got any worse.   I don't know if the base would ever fall apart,  but obviously not worth the risk when you have a lifetime warranty.  
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • RRP said:
    You are probably right. And your point about extra eggs is spot on. The L has been parked for two months while I wait, but the medium has picked up the slack. 
    Why are you afraid to use your broken egg until a replacement arrives? Or are you cooking on a wooden deck or something?
    Never said I was afraid. Just using my other eggs. I use the XLs and medium far more than the other sizes. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Being local helps you can always just run by headquarters and get anything that day. 
  • smokingal
    Anyone know how much the base weighs?
    Arteflame grill grate

• Just replaced my second cracked base today on my LBGE, and my first cracked base on my MM - I've owned both these for less than 18 months. I like my eggs, but if I wasn't so heavily invested at them and could start over, I'd be looking in to another manufacturer or another grill design all together.
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,063
    edited September 2018
    derka123 said:
    Just replaced my second cracked base today on my LBGE, and my first cracked base on my MM - I've owned both these for less than 18 months. I like my eggs, but if I wasn't so heavily invested at them and could start over, I'd be looking in to another manufacturer or another grill design all together.
    That’s crazy. What do you set them on?
  • After my clean burn today I noticed my fire ring was cracked all the way through but the base looked fine. Atleast on the inside. Its in a table stand in a wooden table so its a little hard to see the underside.

My dealer is already on this.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    derka123 said:
    Just replaced my second cracked base today on my LBGE, and my first cracked base on my MM - I've owned both these for less than 18 months. I like my eggs, but if I wasn't so heavily invested at them and could start over, I'd be looking in to another manufacturer or another grill design all together.
    Not really that crazy many on here have gone through multiple bases in a couple years. 
  • derka123 said:

OEM nest and OEM MM carrier
  • smokingal
    After my clean burn today I noticed my fire ring was cracked all the way through but the base looked fine. Atleast on the inside. Its in a table stand in a wooden table so its a little hard to see the underside.

Just thought I should mention that I can not see the crack from the inside, even after I did a burn out.
    Arteflame grill grate

• Have run my XL hard for 3 years...hi temp cooks and cleanings...trying to make it fail or crack.  No problems yet.  But my custom nest does allow good airflow!
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited September 2018
    My dealer is only 1 mile from the house, and has good stock.  I will run my XL hard for many years, knowing it’s under warranty as long as I own it!  Going to get the “goodie” out of this purchase!
  • smokingal said:
    After my clean burn today I noticed my fire ring was cracked all the way through but the base looked fine. Atleast on the inside. Its in a table stand in a wooden table so its a little hard to see the underside.

Just thought I should mention that I can not see the crack from the inside, even after I did a burn out.
    It doesn't have to go all the way through. The main thing is it could do that during a cook with possibly disastrous consequences. Wow two big words in a row and its not even 7Am yet. Got up at 5 to trim my brisket and start my Egg.

Question: are you "Smoking Al" or "Smokin Gal?
    MiniMax 04/17

• smokingal
    smokingal said:

It doesn't have to go all the way through. The main thing is it could do that during a cook with possibly disastrous consequences. Wow two big words in a row and its not even 7Am yet. Got up at 5 to trim my brisket and start my Egg.

It's "Smokin Gal".  I'd love to put an underscore in the name, but I'm not sure if you can modify your forum handle after the fact.  The reason I mentioned not being able to see the crack from the inside was just to highlight that not seeing one doesn't mean there isn't one, as you mentioned you were currently unable to see the underside of your Egg.
    Arteflame grill grate

• smokingal said:
    smokingal said:

It's "Smokin Gal".  I'd love to put an underscore in the name, but I'm not sure if you can modify your forum handle after the fact.  The reason I mentioned not being able to see the crack from the inside was just to highlight that not seeing one doesn't mean there isn't one, as you mentioned you were currently unable to see the underside of your Egg.
    @smokingal Looking back I see that in your signature. Did you just ad that or was it already there when I asked?

If I just missed it then that is further proof tat I shouldn't have been up that early in the morning.
    MiniMax 04/17

• smokingal
    smokingal said:
    smokingal said:

@smokingal Looking back I see that in your signature. Did you just ad that or was it already there when I asked?

If I just missed it then that is further proof tat I shouldn't have been up that early in the morning.
    lol.  I updated my signature after you asked for clarification of my username.
    Arteflame grill grate

• smokingal said:
    smokingal said:
    smokingal said:

lol.  I updated my signature after you asked for clarification of my username.
    @smokingal now you need to add your location in your signature. We don't need your address but knowing the area an Egger is in can help others provide better help.
    MiniMax 04/17