Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Lacto Fermentation Fun- Peppers and Sriracha

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    vthokie98 said:
    thanks for the quick responses y'all...was able to get a ziplock of brine in there and hopefully should prevent me from having to pull out more of them.  Must be low on the salt is my guess.  My main floor keeps pretty close to 70 all day and night.  Will add a bit salt to the next time i make brine. 
    Awesome, post your results 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    caliking said:
    @vthokie98 that’s Kahm yeast. Harmless, but can apparently affect the flavor if you leave it in when storing the peppers in the fridge. 

You can can skim it off when you’re done fermenting. I dropped a dry folded paper towel flat on top of it all and picked it up with tongs. Most of the yeast stuck  to the wet paper towel. The peppers and stuff in that jar have tasted fine. 
    Great idea @caliking
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041

Finished my first small test batch.  Wow!  The flavors are complex and the heat sneaks up on you.  We have a jalopeno plant that is producing well this was one days harvest, (pictured) some carrots, 1/4 onion 3 cloves garlic.  In about a month I’m going to have more peppers than I used to know what to do with.  Problem solved.  What’s the shelf life of this I imagine with the salt, vinegar and fermentation a couple of months?
  • My pickles taste great, but they’re way soggy. The okra isn’t as soggy, but could’ve used another pepper and more garlic for me.  

Oh well, best thing is we try again!

need to find fresh bay leaves. Dry doesn’t work. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    My pickles taste great, but they’re way soggy. The okra isn’t as soggy, but could’ve used another pepper and more garlic for me.  

Fresh bay is growing on our deck at the lake...  Shall we bring you some?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lkapigian
    My pickles taste great, but they’re way soggy. The okra isn’t as soggy, but could’ve used another pepper and more garlic for me.  

I've had luck with dry, but maybe it was the amount I used...gald the taste was great!!

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    U_tarded said:

Finished my first small test batch.  Wow!  The flavors are complex and the heat sneaks up on you.  We have a jalopeno plant that is producing well this was one days harvest, (pictured) some carrots, 1/4 onion 3 cloves garlic.  In about a month I’m going to have more peppers than I used to know what to do with.  Problem solved.  What’s the shelf life of this I imagine with the salt, vinegar and fermentation a couple of months?
    That looks great, shelve life should be months and months ...they don't last long, but I've had 6 month ferment in the fridge with no issues 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • U_tarded
    lkapigian said:
    U_tarded said:

That looks great, shelve life should be months and months ...they don't last long, but I've had 6 month ferment in the fridge with no issues 
    That’s what I was thinking, I’m just thinking if my plants keep producing I know what I’m making for coworkers for the holidays.  Some of this and some Canadian bacon should do the trick.  
  • lkapigian
    @U_tarded you should be fine...a little added Vinegar get the PH there if it's not already 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • U_tarded
    lkapigian said:
    @U_tarded you should be fine...a little added Vinegar get the PH there if it's not already 
    Thanks!  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    lkapigian said:

I've had luck with dry, but maybe it was the amount I used...gald the taste was great!!

Dry bay leaves should be fine, but yes the amount may matter. My first batch if onions and such with bay leaves turned out "crunchy", but forgot to add them in a second batch and they were soggy.

I read somewhere that grape leaves can be used too. Apparently it's the tannins in the leaves that matter. Makes me think that a tea bag in the brine may also work. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    caliking said:
    lkapigian said:

Dry bay leaves should be fine, but yes the amount may matter. My first batch if onions and such with bay leaves turned out "crunchy", but forgot to add them in a second batch and they were soggy.

I read somewhere that grape leaves can be used too. Apparently it's the tannins in the leaves that matter. Makes me think that a tea bag in the brine may also work. 
    @caliking yes tea works....never done it but it's on the list 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thanks guys.  I guess I need to add more to the next batch.  
  • lkapigian
    Thanks guys.  I guess I need to add more to the next batch.  
    One thing I have not tried that Brad Leoni on Bon Appetit does is he ferments his Half Sour Pickles in the fridge...Next time I will also keep them whole or halves VS quartered 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Order placed on Amazon earlier today.  Damn you all.  Actually, I’m looking forward to this.

has anyone tried cherry tomatoes - either full green or just semi ripe?
  • lkapigian
    Legume said:
    Order placed on Amazon earlier today.  Damn you all.  Actually, I’m looking forward to this.

has anyone tried cherry tomatoes - either full green or just semi ripe?
    Awesome @legume I have not bit there is no reason it wont work, you may want to poke some small holes with a pin or Sausage Pricker ....or halve them, keep us posted 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    So how do you know when the veggies are ready?  Just wait 3 weeks or is there some other indicator?  I know the first week the smell was overpowering, but it's gotten much milder now...at a week and a half.  
  • U_tarded
    I ate one. 
    This plus my jar compressed a lot (like 30%). 
  • lkapigian
    I ate one. 
    This right here, if you are going to eat them, star tasting after a week or so....taste the brine as well, when it's the way you like, stick it in the fridge. You will also start seeing a little less activity . for Sauces, I go at least 3 weeks minimum 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
    I ate one. 
    This right here, if you are going to eat them, star tasting after a week or so....taste the brine as well, when it's the way you like, stick it in the fridge. You will also start seeing a little less activity . for Sauces, I go at least 3 weeks minimum 
    Pickles were a little risky for me as I HATE cucumbers. Cannot stand them.  However, I really like pickles. 10 days was fine.  No cuc taste.  
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    I ate one. 
    Pickles were a little risky for me as I HATE cucumbers. Cannot stand them.  However, I really like pickles. 10 days was fine.  No cuc taste.  
    Amazing what salt water and time will do
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Just a random note to add, re ambient room temps, since it impacts fermentation projects - was reading a blog or something by an Indian lady (about fermenting rice batter for dosas/idlis/appams etc), and she mentions adjustments to the protocol for folks who keeps their homes cooler i.e. "less than 80F". 

I laughed because our crib is usually 80F or more, but almost everyone I know keeps their house at frigid temps :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    caliking said:
    Just a random note to add, re ambient room temps, since it impacts fermentation projects - was reading a blog or something by an Indian lady (about fermenting rice batter for dosas/idlis/appams etc), and she mentions adjustments to the protocol for folks who keeps their homes cooler i.e. "less than 80F". 

I laughed because our crib is usually 80F or more, but almost everyone I know keeps their house at frigid temps :)
    another week and the fermentation in my house needs to be done on the fridge top were it stays about 75 for the rest of the year.  tried it last fall on the counter and it was too cool for the ferment to really start =)  55 degree nights are thankfully right around the corner
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    edited September 2018
    caliking said:

another week and the fermentation in my house needs to be done on the fridge top were it stays about 75 for the rest of the year.  tried it last fall on the counter and it was too cool for the ferment to really start =)  55 degree nights are thankfully right around the corner
    keep it in the oven with the light on, or a small heating pad

Of course if it were me,I would go the preheat the oven for something and say "what that smell?" "Oh Sh!t"

They have a collapsable proofing oven you can set in the 70"s as well

https://www.amazon.com/Brod-Taylor-Folding-Proofer-Cooker/dp/B01MEEH0SE/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536244341&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=collapsible+proofing+oven
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    lkapigian said:
    caliking said:

keep it in the oven with the light on, or a small heating pad

Of course if it were me,I would go the preheat the oven for something and say "what that smell?" "Oh Sh!t"

They have a collapsable proofing oven you can set in the 70"s as well

https://www.amazon.com/Brod-Taylor-Folding-Proofer-Cooker/dp/B01MEEH0SE/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536244341&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=collapsible+proofing+oven
    the fridge top is fine, the camp i set at 54 for the house and the top of the fridge will get the bubbles happening. could just be my 1970's kitchen fridge throws off more heat than the newer models =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Why am I getting notifications for this thread, and how do i stop it!?!
    Franklin, TN
  • lkapigian
    Why am I getting notifications for this thread, and how do i stop it!?!
    Click that star on the right. If it's yellow

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
    Why am I getting notifications for this thread, and how do i stop it!?!
    Click that star on the right. If it's yellow

Thank you.  must have it accidentally.  
    Franklin, TN
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    caliking said:

I laughed at your use of "crib" B) Seem to remember that term 20years ago