Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork at 131F

Options
So, the USDA recently revised pork temperatures so that you only have to cook pork to an internal temperature of 145 and rest for at least three minutes, not 160. I worked for Heartland restaurant back in my grad school days so I've been eating pork at a lower temp for a long time. I don't know if it's true or not, but Lenny Russo told me there's never been a case of trichinosis in the US, ever, from eating under-cooked pork. However, it is hard to nail that pale pink stage of pork before it carries over 160 degrees, the proteins suddenly seize and then you're left with not so tender MW pork. Another thing I've learned from reading The Food Lab by Kenji Lopez-Alt is that the USDA guidelines for killing trichinosis are based off of a temperature that kills it immediately, but there are alternative time temperature combinations that also kill harmful organisms. A USDA research shows that after an entire cut of meat is evenly 131F degrees, trichinosis is inactivated in less than six minutes. That means a thick pork chop is perfectly safe at 131 after 66 minutes of sous vide cooking, one hour to make sure it's evenly 131, and then another six to inactivate any trichinosis, so that's how I do all my pork now. Even roasts. Then I get my kamado-style grill rocket hot, like 600 or greater, crust the fat rind with fennel pollen, and then do a quick sear on each side. Turns out perfect every time. Anyone else out there experimenting with stuff like this?

Comments