Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Somebody Asked...How long? So I kept a record tonight.

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cold starting a Small BGE...[p]Temperature outdoors 20F degree's.
Fuel, left over lump from 3 days ago.
Amount..About 3 cups..
Fire starter....a small chunk of firelog starter.
(this is another subject to discuss)[p]Removed grill.[p]Time 5:45 p.m.

Stirred the old stuff...and by sticking a toothpick thru the small piece of starter, to avoid burning finger tips..I lit it an placed it directly on my diamond mesh. Burning brightly.[p]Placed several large and small chunks around the now burning starter.[p]I do this by hand cause I am not dainty..I wash up quick.[p]Dome closed, I watch the fire get brighter and the charcoal is igniting.[p]I reached down into my charcoal bag and removed 5 or 6 chunks of charcoal and dropped em down the top dome port. Right on the center core fire. Just dropped em in..Course you could open the dome and do it too...:-)[p]Time..5:58 p.m.
Dome temperature 550F with the dome thermometer. I replace grill and rubbed it down over the fire with my grill brush.[p]Time..5:59 p.m.
Temperature now 600F..
Placed two large thick Iowa cut pork chops already seasoned on the grill.
Time..6:02 p.m.
Temperature 625F..First flip of the chops![p]Time..6:05 P.M.
Temperature 625F..Turned chops again and put on daisy wheel and closed lower vent to half way.[p]Time..6:08 P.M. Temperature 475F..Turned chops one more time. closed lower vent completely, and placed solid ceramic cap on the dome top.[p]Time..6:12 p.m. Temperature 400F..Removed Chops and ate up a storm..Very nice with a eeeensy weeeensy bit of pink to the center.
Emaculately perfect...IMHA (In my house anyway)[p]So the basics..can I heat up my small BGE rapidly..yup...13 minutes from 20F degrees cold ceramics to 550F an inserting your chops or steaks.
I doubt that many metal cookers will do it at that speed. BTW..don't ask me what the internal meat temp was..I don't use a thermometer, but it was "HOT"..:-)[p]Cheers to ya all...Char-Woody

Comments

• Char-Woody thet wurd emaculate is immaculate...
    by C~W,
    Char-Woody's secetary,

• Char-Woody,[p]I'm Green with envy...LOL. That's the way it ought to heat up. Today I took my small that I couldnt't get to heat up back to BGE in Atlanta and they built a fire in it and got it to 500 after 1/2 hour. They agreed it was a little slow but didn't think anything was wrong. They offered me a brand new one at no charge if I wasn't comfortable so I took their offer. I brought the new small home, built a fire and wow it hit 650 real quick like. Great. And I too tonight enjoyed some great pork chops. The folks at BGE really stood behind their product. They even gave me some free fire starter ($10 worth).[p]Cheers,
    Bobcat Man[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Bobcat Man, Hey that's wonderful, and sounds like my old BGE headquarters. Your old small has me mystified a bit. The only thing different might have been a malformed fire grate with the holes in it..I printed this one cook out to offer evidence that these babies will heat up fast. Not in reference to your post however.,.twas another e.mail inquiry. I told him I would do this one for him.
    Good cooking to ya.. and thanks for the upbeat response at BGE.
    C~W[p]

• Chare-Woody,Diamond mesh?

• Thanks C-W, good precise notes. Good times. How long do ya think it would have taken in your large Egg, by comparison?

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    C~W, I only have two questions: 1. How can Char-Woody afford a secretary? and 2. Couldn't you find a better job? :-)

• Char-Woody
    Dante Inferno, about the same..maybe a few minutes longer due to the extra space and fuel.
    :-)...have we met before??
    C~W

• Char-Woody
    Wise One, he can't and no..in that order..:-)
    C~W

• Char-Woody
    Dr. Seuss, yeh..not real diamonds tho :-) Check your local welding shop and see if they have some scrap "diamond mesh" extruded metal. I use a <><><><><> configuration of 3/4 long x 1/4 wide x 1/16th inch thick material, or close to that. Cut a 8 to 9 inch circle for the large and about a 6 to 7 inch for the small. It will sag in the middle and not hurt your sidewall ceramics. Gets red hot and lasts for years...
    Cheerio..
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody, ole buddy...why shore we have! You posted that for me, ya know!!

• Char-Woody
    Dante Inferno, and I did it all for you..!! How's the birdies today??
    Cheers to ya..C~W[p]