Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland and new large bands and hinge

Options
Has anyone installed the new band and hinge system on a large with a Rutland gasket?  If so, do you do anything differently than if you were installing with the factory gasket?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @RRP will be able to assist.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    @RRP will be the guru on this but I seem to remember something about installing the Rutland gasket first then doing the bands. That's all I remember seeing on the subject.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I would install the gasket and just sit the lid on it with no bands, this will ensure a even pressure on the gasket.  After glue dries install bands 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Philicious
    Options
    The Rutland was installed a few years ago.  I am just wondering if there are any adjustments needed due to the thickness of the Rutland or due to it being only on one rim - specifically the tabs on the top (New) band.
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    I installed the new bands and the Rutland gasket on my 2 large eggs. I used the same method for the new bands that I used on the older style bands. After I scrapped off the old Rutland gasket I applied Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper Maximum Silicone Gasket and then put the new Rutland on. Once the gasket was shaped and applied on the egg base I put the dome on and left it alone for a couple of hours for the Permetex sealant to partially cure. After that I put the new band assembly on and made my adjustments. The new band/hinge system works great and I highly recommend it. 
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Most everyone has already given you the same advice I would have with one exception. Permatex needs 24 hours to cure and trying to adjust before that runs the risk of moving it and thereby weakening the adhesion. BTW starting a fire will not speed it along! The cure is a chemical process and not a heat process.

if after the 24 hours then have at it! Holler back if the planes of your dome and base are out of sync and I can talk you through that...just don't panic.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ranchonodinero
    Options
    Where is a good source for the bands and hinge?  My springs have gotten a little soft with age.
  • Philicious
    Options
    Any dealer