Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perhaps I'm Out of Line. Thoughts?

Options
During a recent cook, my fire box broke into several pieces rendering my LGBE unusable. I got my egg second hand from a friend. No warranty (I know, I know). Called "my" dealer the ACE Hardware at Texas Corners in Portage, MI (my dealer as they are the closest and carry Rockwood), ordered a new firebox. They called last Friday and said it was in as promised. I went to pick it up, it was a medium. They checked to order and the notes from my call to them. I ordered a large, either they or the Mothership fvcked it up. I explained I was having a cookout for ten that (last) Sunday. They shrugged. I asked for a firebox out of a floor model. They declined.

Tuesday they called and said they had my firebox in. I went today to get it; it's not in a box. It's unused but is a little discolored, like they took it out of the floor model. I ask what's going on?  Dude replies that that is how it was shipped. I ask where they put the shipping label and the fvcking stamp?!? Blank stare. Do I get a discount? A deal due to the two 46 mile round trips? Nothing. I bought it, as it's Labor Day weekend and I'm about to fire that egg for the next 72 hours. 

I'm not happy. Am I wrong? Am I out of line here? How would you react to this?    
LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Nothing a new crack that develops over the weekend can't fix. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    Is the new firebox now covered under a lifetime warranty? There wasn't a box or paperwork, just the firebox. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
     They obviously are making an attempt to take care of you now. It makes no difference where they got the fire box. It’s not like it will spoil if left out. I would take the piece and thank them. They should have just given you one off the floor when the discovery of the error was made for sure. We recently had the wrong piece sent by the mothership and gave the customer one out of our stock. I don’t know why they appeared to lie about it. OTOH, you could have just waited for the real one to arrive and stew. Also, it is common for there to be variation in the ceramics color based upon the distributors stock turnover etc. I would be peeved that they sent you away initially for sure, but I say they have realized their error and attempted to correct it. Hopefully it wouldn’t happen this way again. 

Most importantly, enjoy this weekend with a functional egg. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    dharley said:
    Is the new firebox now covered under a lifetime warranty? There wasn't a box or paperwork, just the firebox. 
    You have a receipt, yes?
  • lentsboy007
    Options
    I feel your pain. I bought my LBGE from a dealer in 2011, not knowing anything about the warranty really.  He told me he would register it and that I need not worry about it or do it myself .  Fast forward a few years , he is out of business soon after , he never turned in the warranty ,  and I’m just waiting for the inevitable breaking of something . 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Since you bought it, it’s got a lifetime warranty. I’d take the firebox and move on. It’s going to get discolored on the first cook. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    If you don't mind the question...did you realize you could have continued using that broken fire box? Many of us here just go on cooking with it! I used a large fire box that was in 7 pieces and had to be assembled like a puzzle. I had the replacement in my basement for 3 years. Even right now my small egg firebox is in 4 pieces and has been for 4 years now though the replacement is sitting in my garage.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dharley
    Options
    dharley said:
    You have a receipt, yes?
    Of course. I bought it three hours ago. I agree. Thanks for the advice. 

USMC Veteran

• dharley
    Options
    RRP said:
    If you don't mind the question...did you realize you could have continued using that broken fire box? Many of us here just go on cooking with it! I used a large fire box that was in 7 pieces and had to be assembled like a puzzle. I had the replacement in my basement for 3 years. Even right now my small egg firebox is in 4 pieces and has been for 4 years now though the replacement is sitting in my garage.
    Sir, it was beyond broken. I couldn't get it to piece back together. It was in about 34 pieces. My fire ring is in three. It's fine for another hundred cooks.

USMC Veteran

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

As long as the firebox is intact and has a warranty the color or lack of box wouldn't bug me.  Last month I finally got my firebox for the medium and it came without a box as well.

My dealer is an Ace Hardware as well.  She's an egghead and loves the product, but she is pulling her hair out dealing with BGE.  Given BGE's unpredictability with warranty parts, dealers are less likely than they used to be to simply grab one out of stock.  They don't know when it will ever be replaced.

Glad you're up and running again, maybe you need a few back up cookers...

Phoenix 
  • RRP
    Options
    I feel your pain. I bought my LBGE from a dealer in 2011, not knowing anything about the warranty really.  He told me he would register it and that I need not worry about it or do it myself .  Fast forward a few years , he is out of business soon after , he never turned in the warranty ,  and I’m just waiting for the inevitable breaking of something . 
    If I were you I would be sending whatever proof you have to the Mother Ship in Alanta! Include a COPY of anything like a receipt, cancelled check, credit card statement showing the purchase. And the sooner the better! 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Why didn't your friend get the warranty part for you? If he bought it new that is.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• RRP
    Options
    blasting said:

...Given BGE's unpredictability with warranty parts, dealers are less likely than they used to be to simply grab one out of stock.  They don't know when it will ever be replaced.

Same with my dealer. I even saw his back room inventory of replacement fire boxes and fire rings and it was impressive! He prided himself saying "a BGE customer of mine walks in with a problem he walks out with the solution in hand!"

Sorry to say that got back to Hotlanta and he got a cease and desist order or be booted  out of the dealership rank!
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I have photos on my IPhone of the receipts for both of my eggs. So far the only warranty I used was to get the newer style bands for my large. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• dharley
    Options
    bud812 said:
    Why didn't your friend get the warranty part for you? If he bought it new that is.
    She was a co-worker. She had terminal cancer. I bought the egg while she was selling most of her possessions to afford a year of retirement before dying. I paid her $600 for a well used large, I would have paid $2,000 had she asked.

Cancer won. I have her egg. I was just asking if you'd be pissed to pay full price for a firebox, not 'new', a week late.

USMC Veteran

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    If it is in fact one out of the display egg, and discolored, neither is an issue because of the lifetime warranty. But if it is from the display, they are lame. Not originally giving me the one from the display would not bother me because they risk losing a sale by giving me that one. But, if the one I ordered never shows up and they lie to me saying here is the one you ordered, that would be pretty sad. Maybe that is not what happened in this case.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    As @Lit would say "not to mention" I would have had to walk over and look in that display egg.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Out of line prolly not but maybe a little stressed, pop some tops...
    Jacksonville FL
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    dharley said:
    bud812 said:
    She was a co-worker. She had terminal cancer. I bought the egg while she was selling most of her possessions to afford a year of retirement before dying. I paid her $600 for a well used large, I would have paid $2,000 had she asked.

Cancer won. I have her egg. I was just asking if you'd be pissed to pay full price for a firebox, not 'new', a week late.
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    As @Lit would say "not to mention" I would have had to walk over and look in that display egg.
    No I wouldn’t mention it. 
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Not the part about the display egg, but you would start the sentence with not to mention, but you already knew that is what I meant.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    dharley said:
    bud812 said:

That was a pretty classy thing to do.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• GATraveller
    Options
    The more people talk about mistakes at the mothership the more I think it's a lot like this....

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Not the part about the display egg, but you would start the sentence with not to mention, but you already knew that is what I meant.
    There’s a lot of douche bags out there, not to mention grammar police are everyone’s favorite people. 
  • dharley
    Options
    @SaintJohnsEgger, It was just appropriate. She was a sweet lady, so kind. I had wanted an egg for some time. Thanks for your kind words.  

USMC Veteran

• Markarm4119
    Options
    With dealer service like that it is small wonder why KJ is gaining market share
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    How awesome would it be to get warranty parts sent to the house? Do kJ folks pay the shipping or anything?

Trying to file a claim last week at closest 30 miles away dealer.
    1st attempt “Al just left he is the only one blah blah”  

Called next day and just emailed Al my reciept and pictures of broken parts because  “usually folks just bring the broken parts in here” 

Followed up to see if they got email “Al is off today”  

The next day,  “yes we forwarded it to the big egg people no need to call back we will let you know what they say”
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    "Not to mention" how ironic it is for you to call someone a db. That was my favorite post so far this year.
  • dharley
    Options
    How awesome would it be to get warranty parts sent to the house? Do kJ folks pay the shipping or anything?

Trying to file a claim last week at closest 30 miles away dealer.
    1st attempt “Al just left he is the only one blah blah”  

Called next day and just emailed Al my reciept and pictures of broken parts because  “usually folks just bring the broken parts in here” 

Followed up to see if they got email “Al is off today”  

The next day,  “yes we forwarded it to the big egg people no need to call back we will let you know what they say”
    I don't even have a warranty. I'm paying cash for this sh!t. I'm buying and can't get decent service.

USMC Veteran

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I hear ya.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.