Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAD MAX TURKEY ALSO

BOBF
BOBF Posts: 177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put a 21# fresh turkey on the XL at 0900 hrs. Followed Max's directions as close as I could knowing I would forget something. Forgot to salt and pepper the cavity, but that is not a big deal in my opinion - can compensate later. Tried to Keep the temp between 325 and 350 but was using a lump that burns fast and furious. Hard to contol and bounced from 300 to 375, and full firebox had burned by 1500 hrs. No problem, put in the oven for about 45 minutes to finish off - it was really fine even without going in the oven. May not have been the best turkey I ever cooked or ate, but I have no specific recollection of a better one (learned that phase from my lawyer). Was great. Gravy - great. Wife is impressed and she is a very good cook. For dinner we just ate turkey with gravy and reheated the left over baked potatoes from last night (thanks Max for the jacketed potato tip) and poured gravy over the baked potato. Again, thanks Max. This was my practice run for Turkey day. I am so proud of myself that I just poured my second glass of Knob Creek and am about to step outside and light up a Macanudo Hampton Court Maduro.

Comments

• BOBF,
    glad it all worked out for you. .. i've found that with a 20 pound + turkey at 325, it gets pretty dicey with regard to whether you have enough lump to finish ... in my large i load up the lump to within about 1/2 to 1 inch of the bottom of the plate setter, level all the way across the egg .. . .even then, it can be close. . .so make sure you have as full a load of lump as you can get. ... .

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] My 25 pounder went into my XL at 11Am and cam eout at 5PM nice and moist. I maintained the temp at 360-375 all tha time. YUMMMMM!!! My wife started carving it before I could get the Camera.[p] I had room to spare Max.
  • Celtic Wolf,
    fantastic, pete!!! . ..how about a couple of pictures of that big boy on the XL!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p] I put the bird down on the counter and went to get my camera. When I came back my wife had knife in hand and had taken two big bites out of it.. Even the skin was crispy. I wa snot happy with her, but she sure was happy with the Turkey..[p]