Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anova finally selling their $99 Nano

HeavyG
HeavyG Posts: 10,344
The Nano was announced at CES early this year and is finally available:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    IMO, the best feature of the last model is the adjustable height on the clamp.
    I would sacrifice size and spend more just to have this.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Got my $59 ($69?) Nano last month. I think I ordered it a year and half ago. When they got delayed and offered to refund money I just let it ride. Haven't used it yet though.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I guess the price may be appealing, but if the wifi version can be had for $20-40 more on sale, that's the better option.

The Nano still has a somewhat flared head, less power, and control through the app only and BT. I hate BT devices because the range has never worked as advertised. 

I bought a Joule last year, because the size and form factor appealed to me, and have been very pleased with it. I use it almost exclusively now, a few times weekly. Compact, rated at 1100W, wifi and BT, and can be used with just about any size of pot. It is more expensive though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    caliking said:
    I guess the price may be appealing, but if the wifi version can be had for $20-40 more on sale, that's the better option.

The Nano still has a somewhat flared head, less power, and control through the app only and BT. I hate BT devices because the range has never worked as advertised. 

I bought a Joule last year, because the size and form factor appealed to me, and have been very pleased with it. I use it almost exclusively now, a few times weekly. Compact, rated at 1100W, wifi and BT, and can be used with just about any size of pot. It is more expensive though.
    The Nano has manual controls on the device so you don't have to use a gizmo unlike the Joule which requires the use of a gizmo.

Personally, I couldn't care less about BT or WiFi in a sous vide circulator but I can see that may be "useful" to some folks.

Does the wattage difference really matter? If I'm soaking a chuck roast for 48 hours I'm not sure I would care if the water takes an extra 10 minutes to heat up. :)

I'm guessing the Nano appeals on price and sized to slip in a kitchen drawer unlike their previous models. Anova also announced some other new models at CES but I don't recall the details on what else they had coming to market soon.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    "Maximum 5 gallon cook". I guess that will work with the 4.75 gallon Cambro I use for ribs and other big cooking jobs.