Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home Alone Cook #4 (final) - Boston butt Joetisserie style

Options
zman51
zman51 Posts: 133
edited August 2018 in EggHead Forum
Hey All,

SWMBO comes home tomorrow so I decided for my final home alone cook, I would do a joetisserrie boston butt. And at same time brew another homebrew! Hopefully it will be an epic day.

First off. 8# pork shoulder. Mustard rubbed on followed by another rub I am a fan of. Butcher string and spit through it.

Next got the fire ready and just put on some cherry wood. Again with rotisserie I am using KAB with divider to keep heat indirect.

On the butt goes at 250f with the forks on spit

And a 2 hour in check

Now off to get homebrew equipment set up. Will report back.
Central Florida

Comments

• EggbertGreenII
    Options
    Following this closely, please keep us informed.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    What’s the home brew set up?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Another great eggsperiment.  No worries here.  You've got this. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • zman51
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    What’s the home brew set up?

All grain. Been doing it for a couple years. Today a APA.  
    Central Florida
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    Love my joe.  How did it turn out?  
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Yes excited to see the results here. I need to use my joetisserie more and this is intriguing. 
  • zman51
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Very sorry all for late update. Literally 15 minutes after I pulled the butt from BGE I got call that my elderly mom was headed to hospital. So that is where I have been. Fortunately it appears she is on the mend. 

Anyway, obviously I didnt get to make the pretty plate pic but man this by far was the best butt I have cooked ever. The moistness and flavor were just awesome. Here is a pic ready and about to be pulled from joetisserie

Also notice in this pic the very small amount of drippings on aluminum foil below. I typically get much more when cooking it the traditional way with pan underneath which I guess means those extra drippings stayed with the butt as it turned.

And here is the final pulled product right before the "call".

The bone slid right out and I was eating straight out of pan. A buddy happened to stop by and told me the best he ever had.

Total time of cook was 6 hours at 250f. SWMBO got home last night so I will sous vide some left overs for her tonite and get her opinion.  All in all, thanks all for reading along on my home alone venture.
    This was my fourth official joetissierie cook and I am ready to say it is a great purchase and something I recommend for anyone who has some bbque funds laying around.

Mike

Central Florida
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    @zman51 - glad your mother is on the mend.
    Now that is a great looking outcome.  Your thought that the self-basting would happen definitely appears to have occurred. 
    Good luck with the reunion and living a supervised life-style again.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • hogfan412
    Options
    NIce looking cook.   I have many accessories but don't the RotoJoe........hmmmmmmm

I need some vinyl plank flooring at home but............
  • zman51
    edited August 2018
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @zman51 - glad your mother is on the mend.
    Now that is a great looking outcome.  Your thought that the self-basting would happen definitely appears to have occurred. 
    Good luck with the reunion and living a supervised life-style again.  ;)
    Thx and oh:  SWMBO gave a thumbs up seal of approval on the new "cute" little egg as she described it. 
    Central Florida
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    I'm thinking of trying this tomorrow.  Anyone else done a shoulder this way?

How was the moisture, tenderness, smoke flavor, etc.?

How long did it take?

Did you cook to a temp?

Was the lid down?  (I'm assuming it was.)  And, what temp was the dome?

Sorry for all the questions, but my Joe-T is still in the box from last year and thought this might be a great choice to start.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Hmmmm...Joetisserie...might “need” one...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • cssmd27
    Options
    Ok, I did this twice this weekend.  Excellent results!  Did a DIY setup that mimic'd zman's who started this thread.

Basically ran around 325 +/- 25 degrees for about 6.5 hours until about 200 internal.  Brought it in and wrapped in foil on a pan for an hour.  No towel or cooler because I actually wanted it to cool down enough to pull, but retain all the juices.
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    Options
    I've been using the Joetisserie for a couple of years now. Lots of pork loins, whole chickens, and even a prime rib (which was fantastic btw). I've never done a butt on it until today. You inspired me to go home at lunch and put one on.
  • cssmd27
    Options
    That looks awesome!  Such and easy cook once you get it on there and terrific results!

I still have on my agenda to do a pork belly porchetta, but the stars have to align on the timing.
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    When you said " The moistness and flavor were just awesome"   made a believer out of me!  on my wish list
    Thank You for posting
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009