Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sand Shark

Need some help with smoking sand shark. From what to marinade it in to what the best smoke chips?? thanks 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Soak the cuts you will cook in milk for 5 hours or so.  Rinse off, add whatever seasoning you like.  If you want to use a smoke wood I would go with a fruit wood.  Orange, peach, apple, etc. 
    Nolaegghead,

Thanks for the info. Skin on / off?? 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    off.  Sharks eliminate waste through their skin, has high concentration of urea in it.
    nygmen said:
    Need some help with smoking sand shark. From what to marinade it in to what the best smoke chips?? thanks 
    If you are catching live sharks, cut their tail off while they are alive and bleed them out. This helps get rid of a lot of the urea. If you are not catching them yourself, you are at the mercy of what you get. 
    I would remove the skin myself. It adds nothing but a crappy taste in my opinion. But take that for what it is worth. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    No skin. Make sure you remove any of the blood lines too. 

Soak in milk, use a marinade afterwards. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Sounds like a lot of trouble.  
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Never saw sand shark on a menu, nor kept for the table, or even kept for that matter. But all the advice given above is spot on and the procedure for any mako/thresher that is given to me at the boat if someone is handing some out. Our boat does not keep any sharks no matter what kind is caught, but I will just leave it at that....

Curious to hear your opinion on it though, oh, and pictures!! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.