Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Ping SGH: A SECOND Shaver option for you? - OT

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,467
Okay, I can't open the original thread but remember the OP started it with some spokeshaves.  I never expected to post anything about this tool, especially on a barbeque forum, but the confluence was just too cool.  

I have a tool called a razor plane.  I got it as a teenager and used it to plane balsa wood for my model airplanes:

The "handle" is just big enough to fit a middle finger, although I usually held it by the sides.

The handle unscrews to allow you to add the blade:

You can't adjust the depth of cut, but like a shaver its set up to place the blade at the optimum "depth".  The blade is not strong enough to plane regular woods, but on balsa it works slicker-n pig-snot!

And, I must apologize for whining about pic size.  I had my camera set to .jpeg, basic, Small, (as small as my camera would go) and the pics still take a long time to load; it's the forum software and not pic size.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    That’s a cool tool brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Botch said:
    You can't adjust the depth of cut, but like a shaver its set up to place the blade at the optimum "depth". 
    This describes the Muhle R41 to a T. It’s non adjustable. You can either handle it or you can’t. No in between with the wicked Muhle. 

Note the open comb and extreme blade gap. Unmerciful my friend. But a true shaver for the manly men. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Scottie, do they make any DE shavers that are adjustable?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SGH
    Options
    Botch said:
    Yes sir. The Merkur Futur and Parker Variant are two of the best adjustable DE’s on the market right now. Here is my Merkur Futur. 
    From left to right. 
    Vulcan, Futur, R41 and Captains Choice. 

Futur upside the wicked R41. 

Futur. 

Merkur Futur on the left. The Muhle R41 on the right. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Botch said:
    You can’t go wrong with either the Merkur Futur or the Parker Variant. Both are outstanding adjustable razors. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Botch
    Check out this 1930’s prototype from Gillette. To say that we have came a long way is an understatement. I found this doing my nightly shaving research. 

That is the real prototype. Found it in Gillette’s archives.  

Status- Standing by.

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    @sgh which version R41 do you have? I'm reading that the first version (2011) is more agressive than the follow up (2013)?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    @Eoin I would be disappointed if he has anything less than the most aggressive one available.  I would not be shocked if he had one factory tuned to be even more manly.
  • SGH
    Options
    Eoin said:
    @sgh which version R41 do you have? I'm reading that the first version (2011) is more agressive than the follow up (2013)?
    I have a 2011 and a 2016. The 2011 has a tad bit more blade gap and is slightly more aggressive. Muhle did tone the R41 down a bit after numerous complaints. It was simply to aggressive in its former form for 99% of users. Only hardcore shavers were willing to endure it. 
    With that said, you can simply “shim” the latest version of the R41 and it’s just as aggressive as the former model. You can double shim it if you are feeling brave for even more aggression. 
    The current version of the Muhle R41 is still the most aggressive razor out there. It’s open comb and wide blade gap make it more aggressive than most can tolerate. However I feel the newer version is more well rounded than the original. The former version produces far more blade chatter on the face. This has been eliminated for the most part on the newer version, thus producing a more comfortable shave. This is especially important if you like to buff with a razor, and most folks do. It was almost impossible to buff with the original R41. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Real men shave with just a Feather DE blade....no holder for it at all.
    Options
    I use a Feather in a shavette. Give that a go once and report back =)

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    SGH said:
    I use a Feather in a shavette. Give that a go once and report back =)
    I'd probably require an infusion of a couple units of blood....no thanks.
    Options
    I’m still an ameatur for sure, I’ve had this merkur long handled DE razor for a while. Love feather blades, just got 50 more delivered yesterday. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    Options
    I’m still an ameatur for sure, I’ve had this merkur long handled DE razor for a while. Love feather blades, just got 50 more delivered yesterday. 
    I try to keep at least 100 on hand at all times. You never know when an emergency shave may arise. 

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    You never know when an emergency shave may arise. 

I seriously cannot understand this statement...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    You never know when an emergency shave may arise. 

I seriously cannot understand this statement...
    For when you need to...ya know...go down...somewhere...

Ladies can have sensitive....nevermind.
    Options
    Eoin said:
    For having great taste my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Now that you are stepping up to the Muhle, allow me to recommend a few soaps that offer outstanding protection, and as an added bonus, they are all very easy to lather. 
    Tabac, what more needs to be said. 

A couple of artisan soaps. Both are just as slick as Tabac and lather just about as easy. 
    Route 66 soap. 

Stirling. Another top tier artisan soap. 

Taylor Of Old Bond Street. A premier soap. 

If you notice, I have the TOOBS cream as well. It’s one of the very best creams you can buy if you prefer cream over soap. 
    Here is the only other cream that I really like. 
    Captains Choice. A fine artisan cream. 

Status- Standing by.

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    @SGH, I am confused by all the choice's for a bowl or scuttle.   What would you recommend for noob latherer?
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    buzzvol said:
    @SGH, I am confused by all the choice's for a bowl or scuttle.   What would you recommend for noob latherer?
    For ease of use, this one. 
    Captains Choice “Large” lathering bowl. 

If you want to wait a few weeks, they are coming out with copper “unbreakable” bowls as well. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

buzzvol said:
    A good scuttle will cost you a little money. With that said, I really like all the products from Dirty Bird Pottery. She does excellent work and will custom build if you so desire. 

The one on the left was custom built to my specifications. It’s 5 inches in diameter and 4 inches deep. The one on the right is her standard large scuttle. It’s 4 inches in diameter and and about 3 inches deep. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Here is some more of Dirty Bird Potterys work.  

Status- Standing by.

• BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Man I'm glad I gave that up! I still remember Burma Shave and Gillette Blue Blades. I can't remember the last time I used a razor.
    Cooking on the coast
  • SGH
    Options
    BikerBob said:
    Man I'm glad I gave that up! I still remember Burma Shave and Gillette Blue Blades. I can't remember the last time I used a razor.
    I will never give it up. It is my sincere hope that I die in midshave. 

Status- Standing by.

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I find it all confusing as well. There are so many options. What I am currently doing is putting a preshave on my face and lathering over it with a cream lather in a bowl. Shave with the grain and the two more passes with Cremo and a light lather cross grain and then against the grain. Finish up with Proraso and an alum block. Works well for me 

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario