Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MiniMax is my new favorite Big Green Egg- BURGERS

the first thing I cooked on my first BGE (XL) was burgers. I couldn't believe at the time how incredible they tasted, and they were not dried out. Well, yesterday, I fired up the MiniMax and made burgers.  All I can say is WOW.  perfect results, small amount of fuel, efficient and incredible flavor and moistness in the meat. 

For anyone out there who doesn't have a BGE, and you're unsure as to which model to get, start with the MiniMax.  You will not regret it!

Comments

• noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Looks great, what grid is that?
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • We are really in same boat! My 1st Egg was XL and I now have MiniMax. I just told my wife same thing. Cooked some quick pork steaks on my MiniMax tonight and it's unreal the difference between these 2 Eggs. I told her the MiniMax will see more cook time for sure than the XL. It comes to temp so friggin fast! Uses hardly any lump. It is unreal how awesome of a little cooker they are!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Nice! We did some pork chops on the max tonight. Really loving it too.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    It's funny I've had the LBGE a lil over 2 yrs and waited (im) patiently for the MM. I still use the LBGE. But, I find I can do most of my daily family (4-5 people) cooks comfortably on the MM. And it's super sweet having 2 BGEs for the larger cooks. I've used both together on numerous occasions. The MM is impressively efficient and versatile especially with the CGS WOO. Using RW I light it and within 5-10 minutes I'm dialed in and have good smoke. I'm very happy I purchased both cookers.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • It's funny I've had the LBGE a lil over 2 yrs and waited (im) patiently for the MM. I still use the LBGE. But, I find I can do most of my daily family (4-5 people) cooks comfortably on the MM. And it's super sweet having 2 BGEs for the larger cooks. I've used both together on numerous occasions. The MM is impressively efficient and versatile especially with the CGS WOO. Using RW I light it and within 5-10 minutes I'm dialed in and have good smoke. I'm very happy I purchased both cookers.
    Agree, if i didn't have a mini and a small to compliment the large,  the max would be the way I would  go.  Glad you are liking the MM
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Yep.  My Mini Maxx Egg will be in full force over the next several days.  Cooking for the football games and family over the weekend.
    It'll be the first time that I'll have both Eggs, XL and Mini Maxx going at the same time.

Got some pork spare ribs, chicken wings, brats and whatever else I grab at the store today to cook.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    noregard said:
    Looks great, what grid is that?

that is the stock grid that came with the minimax set atop the woo from ceramic grill store.  i wanted to create some space above the coals for air circulation as well as to avoid an oversear situation with the burgers.

the results were fantastic

• westernbbq
    We are really in same boat! My 1st Egg was XL and I now have MiniMax. I just told my wife same thing. Cooked some quick pork steaks on my MiniMax tonight and it's unreal the difference between these 2 Eggs. I told her the MiniMax will see more cook time for sure than the XL. It comes to temp so friggin fast! Uses hardly any lump. It is unreal how awesome of a little cooker they are!!

I am continually amazed at how fast the MiniMax fires up, at how little fuel it uses and how long it maintains a pretty high temperature.  I've had 700F for two hours steady in pre-pizza test runs and 400F+ in maintaining a reasonably high (not low and slow temp) for at least four hours the other day. i stopped going outside to check when i fell asleep so i have no idea how much longer that temp stayed up there.

The MM will get most of the ongoing duties for regular cooks for family, and i'll fire up the XL and L for parties, long-term smoking assignments and bigger pizza parties. I'll pay more attention to MM's temperature holding ability to really see how long it'll hold temps before needing to be recharged.

• Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    I'm trying to convince my wife the LBGE needs a little brother. :). But... I did just join the egg family this summer.
  • I have the Woo with drip pan and stone still waiting on the MM paid for it October 18th. Pretty jealous of all the cooks is see.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • westernbbq
    I have the Woo with drip pan and stone still waiting on the MM paid for it October 18th. Pretty jealous of all the cooks is see.

I feel your pain brotha!

it will be well worth the wait.  But, BGE needs to be better at product rollout and delivery as this whole thing was ridiculous.

• Have an XL and going for a new MM today.  You guys have reinforced my eager anticipation!!
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    COBMDOU65 said:
    Have an XL and going for a new MM today.  You guys have reinforced my eager anticipation!!
    Congrats, you will love it. Welcome to the forum
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    On the hunt for a MM. I have a big Santa Maria grill that I hardly use and thought about selling to fund the new MM and have $$ left over to buy meat!
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  •  Thanks, Site is intriguing.
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    Thanks to the instigators ...and people of very questionable behavior... on this site , One year ago I began looking for a used mini max to compliment my medium BGE. It was an extensive search.
    i drove 3 hours to Atlanta one day from the mountains of North Carolina  (it seemed like a month long journey)and bought one with a place setter from an alleged graduate of the university of Georgia,
     Based on the sellers college affiliation ,I figured I had been taken to the cleaners and the MM would fail faster than hummas at a BGE demo.
    I have modified my opionion and believe it was a great investment.  I brought it to Florida to insure I ain't never without an egg.
    anyone considering a MM ... It is an outstanding piece of equipment.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • zman51
    zman51 Posts: 133
    edited August 2018
    Ok, bought a MM today to add to my large. I am having a heck of time getting it to 550 for a pan pizza. Is there some trick I dont know about. I filled it 2/3 full of RW and taking forever. Bottom wide open and completely pulled daisy off.

Thx
    Central Florida
  • westernbbq
    Hmmmm. Ive never had an issue getting mm hot.   Get a hair dryer and pump air in through the meah screen
    Also check dome thermo?

• @zman51, do you have the newer version with the shorter fire ring?  I have heard their first version had some issues with coming up to temp. I’ve always used a kick ash basket and it gets to temp quick, not medium egg quick but faster than the small anyway. Sometimes if the charcoal is really big and this smaller egg only holds a few, it’s not going to get up to temp as fast as a fire with several smaller lit pieces. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Matt86m said:
    On the hunt for a MM. I have a big Santa Maria grill that I hardly use and thought about selling to fund the new MM and have $$ left over to buy meat!
    Which SMG do you have? I have been eyeing a Lonestar real hard as of late. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Big lumps of charcoal can be a problem because of the small fire box, and there is limited space under the grate for ash, so it can clog. The MMX gets up to 700F in a flash if you don't keep a close eye on it, if mine is on a go slow it always needs a clean out.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Of 5 Eggs the Mini is still number one with the Mini-Max number two to the three Larges. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• zman51
    zman51 Posts: 133
    Thanks. This MM is (well was) brand new from store yesterday. They seem to move a lot of eggs through there so I assume this is newest version but have nothing to compare to.
    I will try a burn today and pay attention to size of lump and see what hapopens

Mike
    Central Florida
  • Very nice. The only thing I like about the XL vs MM (or I had an Akron Jr) is having real estate to move food when it’s done (ie pull the burgers off the fire and into the dead space for cheese). I only light half the XL most the time, but I am amazing at how little fuel a 13” grill uses. Enjoy!
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker