Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket temp

TEXASBGE2018
TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
edited August 2018 in EggHead Forum
ok, I’m dumbfounded here. I put a 15lb brisket on at 10pm and just recently put the probe in the thickest part of the flat. It’s already reading 122 degrees. I double checked with my thermapen and it is also reading around 125-130. The far end is reading 155 already. Is this normal? Have any of you seen it get that hot this quick. My grate temp is 250 and the dome temp is about 230.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    That's normal. Shotgun a few beers and slam a few bourbons. Wake up in the morning (ish) and see how it's going.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Far end of the flat reading 167 already. I know not to use that as the basis but how the the heck can the end of the flat be reading 167 after 2 hours.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    I’ve never had a brisket do that before. They are usually only reading 85-90 after 2 hours. My only concern is we aren’t eating till 5:30pm my plan was for this thing to get done after about 14 hours which would be noon or so and the FTC it till 5

• DMW
    I’ve never had a brisket do that before. They are usually only reading 85-90 after 2 hours. My only concern is we aren’t eating till 5:30pm my plan was for this thing to get done after about 14 hours which would be noon or so and the FTC it till 5
    It might be cooking fast depending on how well it is marbled. It will hit a stall. And I think one of the best briskets I've had was FTC'd for 11 hours or so at Salado a number of years ago I can't recall at the moment. That was courtesy of @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Ya that’s the only thing I can think. This thing was marbeled in the flat almost like a wagyu steak. I just hope it ain’t done in 6 hours. I need it to at least take till noon or so. Guess it’s gonna be a long night.

• DMW
    Ya that’s the only thing I can think. This thing was marbeled in the flat almost like a wagyu steak. I just hope it ain’t done in 6 hours. I need it to at least take till noon or so. Guess it’s gonna be a long night.
    If your egg temp is stable, call it a night, have a few drinks (which, BTW, is a prerequisite for cooking brisket) and call it a night. Wake up in the morning and fix what needs fixing. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• TEXASBGE2018
    Good plan. I’ll check back in tomorrow am

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Don't argue with the f*cking meat, man!!!
    NOLA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited August 2018
    Well it’s 7:00am and it’s reading 187 in the thickest part of the flat. I’m thinking this thing is getting done by 10:00am which would be 12 hours.  Have any of you FTC’d for 7 hours in a yeti before? The longest I have had one go was 6

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,203
    The longest I've gone in a cooler was 4 hours. When I cooked in the restaurant, we would hold prime rib as long as 8 hours (holding oven, not cooler).
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Well it’s 7:00am and it’s reading 187 in the thickest part of the flat. I’m thinking this thing is getting done by 10:00am which would be 12 hours.  Have any of you FTC’d for 7 hours in a yeti before? The longest I have had one go was 6
    7 in a YETI is very do-able man.  You’re good.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • You still have a couple of hours to go. The one Dwayne is talking about was in a cooler for 9 hours. It was a good one. 

FWIW- briskets actually do race up to 130-140 pretty quickly. Mine last night was there in an hour. It was 187 in the point and 158 in the flat at 7 am when I woke up and  now and im pushing through the stall for 11 am class. Cooked at 250 all night. You are right in track for a good result. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Regarding the extended duration hold, if it comes to that you can pre-warm the cooler with hot water, warm garage (key word) quality towels then FTC after the cooling rack rest.  Place the cooler in the Texas sun and you will be good for as long as you need it.
    I've gotten 6 hrs out of an el cheapo Igloo-surely the Yeti will top that  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I’ve done 4 hours in a styrofoam cooler. Yeti should be good to go
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Took it off at noon. Buttah probe 200-203 everywhere. Letting it sit on counter 30min then FTC till 5. Not too happy with the bark development this time. Color is more mahogany than black. Keep y’all posted.

• lousubcap
    You are golden.  Inside the FTC window is all I aim for with a brisket cook.  Great eats await. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I once had a brisket that was done too early. I FTC'd it as usual and then took a covered teapot and filled it with water and brought it to a boil and then put it (the whole pot) in the cooler on top of the towels.  It worked fine and kept everything very warm until it was time to serve.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff said:
    I once had a brisket that was done too early. I FTC'd it as usual and then took a covered teapot and filled it with water and brought it to a boil and then put it (the whole pot) in the cooler on top of the towels.  It worked fine and kept everything very warm until it was time to serve.
    I jus heat up bricks in the microwave.  Lot faster.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Here's my brisket from last night...…

It sat out on the counter for 4-5 hrs, so it was room temp when it went in.

It was at 160F within three hours, then sat there for four hours in the stall, before creeping up to 200F in the last three hours.  If I would have put it in cold, it would have taken another hour or so.

I've had them sit in the stall for 6-8 hrs.  Just depends on how big a piece of meat, how much fat, etc.  Everyone of them is different.

• lousubcap
    Always remember, "The friggin cow drives the cook."
  • lousubcap
    Congrats on the cook and the outcome.  Meat coma guests are a true sign of victory. 
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    I know I'm late but when I grossly overshoot the timing and FTC won't cut it I take it off and Vacuum seal then Sous Verde at a warming temp until the time of serving,,,
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    @stlcharcoal is letting the brisket sit out 4-5 hrs before cooking intentional?   Sounds a little risky,  but maybe in cryovac it's ok?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    You still have a couple of hours to go. The one Dwayne is talking about was in a cooler for 9 hours. It was a good one. 

FWIW- briskets actually do race up to 130-140 pretty quickly. Mine last night was there in an hour. It was 187 in the point and 158 in the flat at 7 am when I woke up and  now and im pushing through the stall for 11 am class. Cooked at 250 all night. You are right in track for a good result. 
    Speaking of that class... hmm hmm... Did you take any pics of your coal/wood set up? 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    GoooDawgs said:
    @stlcharcoal is letting the brisket sit out 4-5 hrs before cooking intentional?   Sounds a little risky,  but maybe in cryovac it's ok?
    it is not necessary.  
    GoooDawgs said:
    Not with brisket.  The same brisket was also 45 days past the sell by date.  Lot of competitors will actually pull the brisket out a few times during that 45 days and let it sit on the counter all day.  Then they pull it from the cryovac, wash it off and then reseal it.  You actually want it to "rot" a little bit.....helps break it down and actually helps give it a beefier taste.  If it smells funky, it's actually the fat (and you can tell since the fat turns a little gray, vs. that white/cream color.)  Either way you're taking the whole thing to 200F, so you'll kill anything in it anyway.

Think about pork butts......those are going to sit in the egg 4-5 hrs before they ever get above 160F.  If you leave them out on the counter before that to bring them to room temp, you're only adding an hour or two to that.  It's not really anything I do for any reason other than I didn't have room in the fridge to put the trimmed brisket back in.