Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza attempt

KGilma2018
KGilma2018 Posts: 120
I made pizza for the 4th.  It was my first try on the egg, I've made plenty of homemade pies in the oven though.  Also my first time with real pizza dough (pre-made by publix).  I set the egg up with platesetter LU, grate, 2 bricks and then the stone.  Egg at 475-500*.  I need to work on getting the dough stretched out and a thinner crust but they turned great.  I went with hot italian, peppers and onion, and fresh mozzarella.   
Franklin, TN

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,642
    Looks great nice pie!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,062
    edited July 2018
    Great first attempt, looks better than mine did. Probably tasted better too. :)

I've been tinkering with homemade dough for a while now, this is the latest incarnation:

It makes dough that is really easy to work with, good elasticity and allows for a thin base:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• KGilma2018
    That's a good looking crust.  I may have to give that a try next time.  Thanks.
    Franklin, TN
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    edited July 2018
    I find with really any dough, the main trick in getting it to stretch out is to give it enough time at room temperature beforehand.  At least an hour, if not two.  

I hope you enjoyed your pizza off the Egg.  It looks good to me!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • KGilma2018
    I find with really any dough, the main trick in getting it to stretch out is to give it enough time at room temperature beforehand.  At least an hour, if not two.  

I hope you enjoyed your pizza off the Egg.  It looks good to me!

I let it sit out for about an hour, maybe a little less.  Next time I will give it a little longer.
    Franklin, TN
  • bwor
    bwor Posts: 14
    edited July 2018
    Looks good!  I did 5 pies on the egg last night for some friends.  Dough recipe I use is very simple (got it from this video:  https://pin.it/jf22phpsscmfzf)

2 cups all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon quick rise yeast
    1.5 teaspoon garlic salt
    1 teaspoon EVOO
    3/4 cup hot water
    Mix with fork, knead, and the put in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap for at least an hour. 

I also add Italian seasoning in there for more flavor to the dough.  Last night I added a bit of sugar to one dough.  Should have added more. 

This is a picture of a BBQ chicken pizza I did with this recipe   By far my favorite type of pizza I have done on the egg.

• KGilma2018
    I love a good BBQ chicken pizza.
    Franklin, TN
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Great looking pie.  It will only get better and better when you find what works for you..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Those are some great looking pies!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• KGilma2018
    Those are some great looking pies!
    They were really good, the crust was just a little thicker than I prefer.  I'll get it right next time.  
    Franklin, TN
  • DKReale
    DKReale Posts: 9
    Any advice on limiting the smokey taste on items you aren’t trying to smoke?  Cooked a pizza and it taste like charcoal
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Real good job.    Couple things, if I may?
    I use a bread machine in DOUGH mode and make 3 or 4 'blobs' the day before.
    They continue to rise even in fridge.    Keep 'em apart!
    Ingredients DO make a big difference.   Find a REAL Meat market and get your preference in sausage.    I buy 1/2 spicey and 1/2 mild.  
    Fresh Moz and other toppings also make a difference.

I configure my grill a little different than most, too.   In addition to the plate setter, I put ANOTHER ceramic on top of it spaced with corner ceramics from the local home store.  The extra ceramic is a very Thin pizza stone bought at the local $ store.   

I have an XL grill and use an XL pizza stone.    But I don't make pie to the EDGE of such a stone.   That keeps edge burning down.   I also put a sprinkle of corn meal on the stone before sliding the pie onto it.   

IMAGE is of my FIRST pizzaa little well done on one edge, but still consumed with gusto.