Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gloves

Hello Ladies and Gents,

Just curious here about exactly what the temp would be of a platesetter when the egg is at a dome temp of 250ish.  Just wondering what rating I would need in a pair of gloves to handle a hot platesetter.

TIA
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    edited August 2018
    I don't know the temp but I use welding gloves from Harbor Freight.  I have a safe place picked out before I remove the PS and I hold it for seconds and thats it.  

Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    At 250 it’s not bad if you google Pitt mitt they work pretty well. I pulled a pan pizza out of the egg that was running at 550 and the gloves didn’t work against the cast iron skillet. Blisters are almost gone. The gloves worked for 5-7 seconds probably at 550. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Lit said:
    At 250 it’s not bad if you google Pitt mitt they work pretty well. I pulled a pan pizza out of the egg that was running at 550 and the gloves didn’t work against the cast iron skillet. Blisters are almost gone. The gloves worked for 5-7 seconds probably at 550. 
    Are you sure you had the gloves on?  You’ve been known to drink...
  • I Second using welding gloves 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    At 250 my heavy welding gloves were fine, I pulled my plate setter out when I had a small 'incident' while doing a high temp burn and they lasted about 12 seconds. got a nice round spot in the grass where I had to ditch it before I got to my resting spot. 

Im on the hunt for new gloves so Ill be watching.

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Lit said:
    Are you sure you had the gloves on?  You’ve been known to drink...
    I had a towel wrapped around the handle and the gloves on. They worked long enough for me to get inside the sliding glass door so I had nowhere to put it down and 10’ to get to the stove. So glad I had been drinking cause it hurt. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I've always used welding gloves, but they get non pliable after a while.  Once the current pair and backup pair are done I'm trying these:

Phoenix 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    blasting said:

I've always used welding gloves, but they get non pliable after a while.  Once the current pair and backup pair are done I'm trying these:

These.  I have these.  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited August 2018
    Now, if you REALLY want to go in harms way you can buy these "foundry worker" gloves which are rated to like 2,400º then these I bought many years ago are what you want! Needless to say these may not fit your hands any more than they didn't fit mine!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    I would guess that the underside of the PS is seeing upwards of 600-700 *F heat from the lump and that number can move (likely upward) based on distance from the fire.  Get good welding gloves or stop by your local fire-house and ask what gloves they wear. 
    If you want to go in a slightly different direction, get a PSWOO from the ceramic grill store that makes PS removal quite quick.  Wherever you land make sure you have the PS landing zone close aboard and ready to receive before you start the evolution.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    https://www.amazon.com/Acmind-Resistant-Grilling-Extremely-Insulated/dp/B077SBMCSB/ref=sr_1_20?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1533905865&sr=1-20&keywords=heat+gloves

I have these or something extremely similar.  Someone here on the forum alerted us to a $5 sale at one point.  These work awesome for the plate setter, grates, etc.  You feel invincible wearing them. . . until. . . you use them to pick up your finished turkey or butt and hot juices soak through and burn you!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    go to your local fire equipment store and get a pair of firefighter gloves.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    RRP said:
    Now, if you REALLY want to go in harms way you can buy these "foundry worker" gloves which are rated to like 2,400º then these I bought many years ago are what you want! Needless to say these may not fit your hands any more than they didn't fit mine!!!

Now those are what I call gloves.  This is what I need to look for.  Safety is one thing I cannot compromise.  Thanks
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • RajunCajun
    Thanks for all the input.  Much appreciated!
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     Use a platesetter lifter from Smokeware. Gloves are great for short contact. But things sometimes go awry. 
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    The Ove' Glove   Works great!  
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I have some thick thick insulated leather welding gloves. Have lasted years and outside too. 

I can scoop burning lump from one egg to another with no issues. Ive even taken burning logs from a fire and moved them around. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • RajunCajun
    I ended up having to use my old welding gloves.  They worked ok, but I didn't hold the PS very long.  I could feel the intense heat creeping up through the gloves.  I should have shot the temp of the bottom side while I was at it, but didn't.