Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Neapolitan pizza

Options
Made Neapolitan pizza on Roccbox. Dough was homemade, pizza took about a minute to cook. 
Bucks County, PA
Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That looks delicious. Nice job. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    Thanks 
    Bucks County, PA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'd eat that :)

There's a growing roccbox contingent here. Seems like a nifty pizza cooker.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    Thanks. I really like roccbox--very convenient to make pizzas. Mine heats upto 700F in about 30 minutes and it cranks out pizzas every minute.  

Bucks County, PA

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Beautiful. Been debating get a dedicated pizza oven
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    thanks. I believe it is worth it. Heats up fast. Did sear some steaks after reverse searing them in an oven. My 2 eggs feel deserted frequently now:)
    Bucks County, PA

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Very nice!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    Thanks.
    Bucks County, PA

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    Neapolitan pizza on my large BGE.

00 flour, 59% hydration. I made the dough the day before and left it in the fridge over night.

I bake the pizza at 800°F. My set up is no daisy wheel. I control the cooking temperature from the bottom vent.

I fill the fire box full. I light 4 small fires evenly spaced and once they can take high velocity wind without going out I hit them with the BBQ Dragon to get the fire Warp 10 hot very quickly. 

I raise my pizza stone up close to the height of the built in thermometer in the dome. In view of the fact your stone is almost the same height as your built in thermometer you can trust the accuracy of that thermometer if you’ve calibrated it recently.

I use an infrared thermometer pointed through the open top vent (no daisy wheel) to see what temperature my pizza stone is, to know when to start baking the pies. It takes about 1 minute to bake your pizza at 800°F.

If you use AP flour or bread flour when cooking at 800° it will be black in one minute or less. There’s no much natural sugar in those flours to bake at that extremely high temperature.

OO Flour was engineered for baking Neapolitan pizza in brick ovens in Italy a long time ago. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I love mine. I need to mix up some biga for the weekend.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I love mine. I need to mix up some biga for the weekend.
    Go biga. Or go home. 

Sorry... had to be said :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,426
    Options
    HogHeaven said:

00 flour, 59% hydration. I made the dough the day before and left it in the fridge over night.

I bake the pizza at 800°F. My set up is no daisy wheel. I control the cooking temperature from the bottom vent.

I fill the fire box full. I light 4 small fires evenly spaced and once they can take high velocity wind without going out I hit them with the BBQ Dragon to get the fire Warp 10 hot very quickly. 

I raise my pizza stone up close to the height of the built in thermometer in the dome. In view of the fact your stone is almost the same height as your built in thermometer you can trust the accuracy of that thermometer if you’ve calibrated it recently.

I use an infrared thermometer pointed through the open top vent (no daisy wheel) to see what temperature my pizza stone is, to know when to start baking the pies. It takes about 1 minute to bake your pizza at 800°F.

If you use AP flour or bread flour when cooking at 800° it will be black in one minute or less. There’s no much natural sugar in those flours to bake at that extremely high temperature.

OO Flour was engineered for baking Neapolitan pizza in brick ovens in Italy a long time ago. 
    Nicely done. You are correct about 00 flour. I make Neopolitan dough in large volumes for a friends pizza joint. Problem is 00 flour costs 3 times what bread flour costs. We manipulated his formulation and got rid of it. He bakes at 775* wood fired and gas assisted. No issues with charring. Our hydration level is almost at 65%. Nice looking pies you crank out! 
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    @HogHeaven. Great set up and good looking pie
    Bucks County, PA

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    HogHeaven said:

If you use AP flour or bread flour when cooking at 800° it will be black in one minute or less. There’s too much natural sugar in those flours to bake at that extremely high temperature.

OO Flour was engineered for baking Neapolitan pizza in brick ovens in Italy a long time ago. ...
    You sure about this?  00 refers to the milling size of the flour.  There are several different flours milled to 00.  Some suitable for pizza and some not. Just referring to 00 provides incomplete information as to whether a flour is suitable for a recipe.  Also keep in mind that most of the wheat used by Italian flour mills is imported from other countries, including good amounts from Canada and the US.  This is the same wheat used by US mills for American flour.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ColbyLang
    Options
    HogHeaven said:

If you use AP flour or bread flour when cooking at 800° it will be black in one minute or less. There’s too much natural sugar in those flours to bake at that extremely high temperature.

OO Flour was engineered for baking Neapolitan pizza in brick ovens in Italy a long time ago. ...
    You sure about this?  00 refers to the milling size of the flour.  There are several different flours milled to 00.  Some suitable for pizza and some not. Just referring to 00 provides incomplete information as to whether a flour is suitable for a recipe.  Also keep in mind that most of the wheat used by Italian flour mills is imported from other countries, including good amounts from Canada and the US.  This is the same wheat used by US mills for American flour.

There isn’t much difference between 00 flour and high protein bread flour (which I have 100,00# silo full of). That’s why we swapped on my buddy’s formula. 1) he couldn’t tell the difference when I made up 2 sample batches and 2) cost
  • ColbyLang
    Options

12.5 oz portions. Mixed, divided and rounded. Then frozen for 24 hours to stop the yeast. My buddy takes them frozen, slacks out to room temp then hand sheets to 16”. Got dough?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the thing ive noticed more with bread flour doughs is they are harder to stretch thin but it can still be done but the light airy texture of the cooked dough is just missing. that sugar burning thing is a myth in my opinion considering ive done bread flour doughs up to 1200 degrees. those pies the light airy texture never fully develops

NewbeeMinimax  thats a great looking pie

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    Thanks @fishlessman
    Bucks County, PA

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    HogHeaven said:

There isn’t much difference between 00 flour and high protein bread flour (which I have 100,00# silo full of). That’s why we swapped on my buddy’s formula. 1) he couldn’t tell the difference when I made up 2 sample batches and 2) cost
    I thought that most of the Italian 00 flour sold here in the States has a protein level a little less than normal All Purpose flour.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    HogHeaven said:

I thought that most of the Italian 00 flour sold here in the States has a protein level a little less than normal All Purpose flour.  
    Nope. It's usually about the same. Antimo Caputo keeps their "Regular" OO 12.5%. KA AP flour is 12.5%,for reference. OO only refers to the grind of the flour, some OO is like pastry flour and some is like bread flour. Caputo's OO flour ranges from 11% to 13.25% or so, depending on Chef, American Pizza, Pizza, or Pasta and gnocchi. They have 6 or 7 types, if I recall.
  • HogHeaven
    edited August 2018
    Options
    https://stellaculinary.com/cooking-videos/stella-bread/sb-018-how-to-make-neapolitan-pizza

Neapolitan pizza dough is low hydration and formulated specifically for use in a wood fire oven. To be a true neapolitan pizza, the dough can only contain 00 pizza flour, water, salt and yeast.

The 00 pizza flour is especially important when making a neapolitan pizza, since the "leapording" or char responsible for the distinct look and flavor of neapolitan pizzas, taste bitter and burnt if any flour besides 00 pizza flour is used.

In many pizza doughs, especially those formulated for the home kitchen, olive oil and sugar are added to pizza dough; the former making the dough more exstensible, and both alllowing the dough to transfer heat and brown faster. However, if sugar or oil is used in neapolitan dough, it will quikcly burn and become bitter when cooked on a 750ºF+ deck.

To make the dough more exstensible and easier to stretch, neapolitan pizza dough is fermented for an extended period of time, usually between 24 and 48 hours.

• twd000
    twd000 Posts: 10
    Options
    HogHeaven said:
    https://stellaculinary.com/cooking-videos/stella-bread/sb-018-how-to-make-neapolitan-pizza

Neapolitan pizza dough is low hydration and formulated specifically for use in a wood fire oven. To be a true neapolitan pizza, the dough can only contain 00 pizza flour, water, salt and yeast.

The 00 pizza flour is especially important when making a neapolitan pizza, since the "leapording" or char responsible for the distinct look and flavor of neapolitan pizzas, taste bitter and burnt if any flour besides 00 pizza flour is used.

In many pizza doughs, especially those formulated for the home kitchen, olive oil and sugar are added to pizza dough; the former making the dough more exstensible, and both alllowing the dough to transfer heat and brown faster. However, if sugar or oil is used in neapolitan dough, it will quikcly burn and become bitter when cooked on a 750ºF+ deck.

To make the dough more exstensible and easier to stretch, neapolitan pizza dough is fermented for an extended period of time, usually between 24 and 48 hours.

once you get your full fire ring blazing and the stone is at 800F, how long does it maintain temperature?  I've done this a couple times with the stone raised up high similar to your setup, but I found that the first pie cooks great, then each time I open the lid to put a new pie on, the lid cools a little bit.  By the 5th pie, the bottom is charred before the topping are fully cooked
  • HogHeaven
    Options
    I don’t preheat my pizza stone to 800°F.  I preheat the cooking temperature to 800°. My pizza stone is usually about 600°F... which is fine to get the leporting you want on the bottom of your crust.