Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting the family involved in the EGG

Options
NoleGirl
NoleGirl Posts: 33
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, It's been about 6 weeks since I "got smart" and purchased my medium egg. I live in the Atlanta area and I'm going to upgrade to a large next week. I was afraid to tell my mom how much money I'd spent, so I showed her the video first, and let her eat some babybacks while watching. I'm very happy to say that she asked me to "pick her up a small egg" and bring it to her next weekend. I've alredy done just that, along with all of the eggsessories and am making her a batch of jj's rub to start her out. We'll be cooking up a storm in South Ga. next weekend!!!!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    NoleGirl, Good to see ya back and that's what I call real progress. Just remember the old slogan, the way to a persons stomach is thru the egg..or ?? I really get confused sometimes..Must be my youth..heeeyaaa.
    Cheer's to ya...C~W[p]

• NoleGirl
    Options
    Char-Woody, I am in the middle of my first rib roast (4 lb.) and it is smellin' up the neighborhood. Tonight I'm going to put on my first Boston Butt (6 lb). Any suggestions? I was thinking of using JJ's rub....with mustard first?
    Also what is the temp I should shoot for? I'm planning on 200-220 degree alnighter. I can't wait for tomorrow, or later tonight!! Boy is Mama in for some good food.She's a great cook... about to get better. Lisa

• Char-Woody
    Options
    NoleGirl, JJ's rubs and brisket and boston butt have been synonymous with those cooks. I would go heavy rub and let it premeate the meat as much as possible..add the mustard prior to the entry..The mustard won't affect the meat internally like a steak or chop as much. You will get a nice crust. Other option is to let the rubs create the crust on the butt. Or Brisket. Looks like about a 12 hour run on a 6 lb'er.. maybe a tad less.
    With your talents..you will succeed either way..BTW..[p]I have a secret weapon for my all night cooks..and that is a rod with a bend that I reach up and agitate the coals from underneath thru the grate bottom hole(s). (Old coat hanger will do) A 90 degee bend. Make it to fit your cooker. insert thru the bottom and slip the bent tip into the grate holes..kinda roll it a bit and dead ash will fall thru to the pit..This kinda assures a good air supply to the upper coals..Don't have to do too much wiggle wobble..!

• NoleGirl
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks as always for your fabulous advice! I don't know what I would have done with out you, JJ, CWM, and all of the others that have inspired me to the level that I've already achieved!! Without this forum the BGE's success wouldn't be nearly as easy, or as FUN!! Thanks again!! Lisa

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    NoleGirl,
    Way to go gal! I've got all 3 of our kids going with them, along with a brother, a brother-in-law and sister-in-law.
    All of them can't believe how good they can cook now! They never had it so good! :-)))[p]Dr. Chicken

• NoleGirl
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,
    My brother is chomping at the bit!! I sent him the video and he's fired up. My Mom and are are thinking about getting him a very nice birthday present.(April 24) He's always been great with a smoker and a grill!! This would knock his socks off!!

• Char-Woody
    Options
    NoleGirl, your welcome..we all are glad to help..Cook up a storm and let us know how ya do..thats the fun part.
    C~W

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    NoleGirl,
    Good to see your successes. Keep them coming and don't hesitate to seek any assistance. We are here to aid in any way possible.
    JJ