Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some pizzas with pics

Cooked 9 pizzas on Saturday for a group of friends. I like to sometimes go crazy with the toppings. 

Chestnut mushrooms sautéed with garlic and thyme, drizzled with truffle oil 

Pepperoni!

Parma ham and rocket

Beetroot, goats cheese and pickled red onion on a pesto base

Another pepperoni

Courgette, goats cheese and basil

Blue cheese, leek and walnut. Didn't get a photo of it cooked

Comments

• Nice looking pies. Well done. 
  • Scantron
    Scantron Posts: 93
    Great pics. They all look fantastic. 
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    Looks phenomenal. I've had a stone for far too long...I gotta go for it soon.

Care to share your dough recipe and cook temps? Crust looks great.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    damn, will you adopt me, please?
    Fabulous, mate.  
    I bet Clem Fandango loved them too  =)
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Wow. Great looking pies right there. Can you please share your dough recipe and cooking technique? I never get pizzas quite right and am looking to learn.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Wow.  Those are some unique and, I bet, tasty combinations.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    I can't live that far away from you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    FrostyEgg said:

Care to share your dough recipe and cook temps? Crust looks great.
    Thanks!

I'm terrible at bread and my dough used to suck. But a friend recommended this recipe which doesn't require any kneading. Well it requires 1min of kneading but I don't normally even do that.

Important thing is to make it 2 days before using - I sometimes do it three days before. Get a big Tupperware box to keep it in so it doesn't dry out. Leave in fridge. Recipe is from America's Test Kitchen - I also found the episode, and watched the method. They call it a 'New York style' but it's actually an Italian style thin crust.

Following this recipe I make a batch, add to Tupperware, make another, add to Tupperware and so on. It doesn't matter if the dough merges together when it rests - it will form a big blob and that's ok. I recommend getting a dough cutter - they're cheap and on amazon.

SETUP: I have tried several setups but the best is definitely platesetter legs up > grill> two fire bricks on their long side > pizza stone.
    This does two things - elevates the pizza so it's in hotter part of dome. And gives distance of stone from the grill, so the stone doesn't get too hot. This ensures a thin, crisp crust and a cooked top. Works every time.

I cook at 300-350c (527f - 660f). Each pizza takes approx 4-5mins. With a deep charcoal pit with quality charcoal this will cook for 3hrs easily.

I also now use baking parchment rather than semolina on the stone - the semolina burns and has to be scraped off each time, while the parchment means you never mess up getting the pizza off the peel and no more burnt semolina.

RECIPE

Pizza: New York-Style Thin-Crust Pizza Recipe

America's Test Kitchen - season 12, episode 8, New York-Style Pizza at Home Makes two 13 inch pizzas

Ingredients

320ml ice water (about 10.5 oz) 
    500g bread flour, plus more for dusting work surface 
    1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more for work surface 
    .5 tsp instant or rapid-rise yeast 
    1.5 tsp salt 
    2 tsp sugar 

Instructions

1. FOR THE DOUGH: In food processor fitted with metal blade, process sugar, yeast, and flour until combined, about 2 seconds. With machine running, slowly add water through feed tube; process until dough is just combined and no dry flour remains, about 10 seconds. Let dough stand 10 min.

2. Add salt and oil to dough and process until dough forms satiny, sticky ball that clears sides of workbowl, 30-60 seconds. Remove dough from bowl and knead briefly on lightly oiled countertop until smooth, about 1 min. Shape dough into tight ball and place in large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hrs and up to 3 days.

3. TO BAKE THE PIZZA: 1 hr before baking, remove dough from refrigerator and divide in half. Shape each half into smooth, tight ball. Place on lightly oiled baking sheet, spacing them at least 3 inches apart; cover loosely with plastic wrap coated with nonstick cooking spray; let stand for 1 hr.

Do not knead the dough after it has rested in fridge! Cut a piece off, gently fold into a ball, flour and rest it 1hr+ at room temp and then stretch it into a pizza. I've seen people knead it again and it ruins the structure of the dough and you end up with a flat, un-risen pizza

Have fun and share the results!

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Those pies look so delicious!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Hi there, 

They all look great.  When you do 9 pies... Do you assemble them all ahead of time?  ... And then put them on one after the other?  I would like to do a bunch for a party... Just curious on how you did it.

Thanks
  • Is that parchment paper under your pies ?

John,

Sellersburg, Indiana

• TheToast
    pflug said:
    Hi there, 

They all look great.  When you do 9 pies... Do you assemble them all ahead of time?  ... And then put them on one after the other?  I would like to do a bunch for a party... Just curious on how you did it.

Thanks

No, my method is when one comes off, I'll get the dough stretched out into a flat circle, then sauce it and add topping (takes 2mins) and then put it straight in the BGE. By that time the one I just took off will be eating temperature. 

I imagine if they're prepared before, the dough may absorb the sauce - which wouldn't be good. Also, you really need to make the pizza on a peel and unless you have more than one, if you make the pizza on a peel, you'll then not have the peel empty to take the previous pizza off the stone!

Good luck
  • TheToast

Gator_Fan said:
    Is that parchment paper under your pies ?
    Yes. I used to dust stone and peel with semolina but then every cook you have to scrape the burnt semolina off the stone, and also doesn't always work perfectly - dough sometimes gets stuck on the peel and ruins the shape of your pizza when attempting to slide onto stone. 

So I've started to use parchament which works a treat every time.