Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a pie

Options
sadly I think this is the first time I've fired up the egg in 2018, it's still the king of deep dish pies.  Pepperoni & vidalia onion here, tasted better than it looked - seems I should've spun it half way through to even things out...

Coupla these too

happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    Pie looks like a winner. An ice cold High Life is such an underrated brew! 
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Options
    Nice pie & excellent choice in beer.   I’ve been on the champagne campaign my whole life. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Gawjus pie....not so much on the pairing. If you like it who cares!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Nice pie & excellent choice in beer.   I’ve been on the champagne campaign my whole life. 
    me too, it dates back to earliest memories as a kid in the early 70's, the old man & all the other old-heads gathering around the patio, a pile of Kingsford blue in the Weber knock-off (we were poor), squirting half a quart of lighter fluid on the coals before flicking a match in there, the ensuing fireball, & all of them holding a High Life - been drinking it since not long after those days & every summer thereafter, tastes like happy to me
    happy in the hut
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Marc:

Pie looking GOOD...your deep dish dough recipe is still my go to...I need to do another soon 

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    sadly I think this is the first time I've fired up the egg in 2018
    haha, you're worse than I am!! Nice lookin' pie!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Basil plant in pic on point.  Pie looks great :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    sadly I think this is the first time I've fired up the egg in 2018
    haha, you're worse than I am!! Nice lookin' pie!
    it's gotten pretty bad that way

Basil plant in pic on point.  Pie looks great :plus_one:
    ha, that's another area of slack, first year I haven't had a garden in decades, that plant is still in its little temporary carry home pot just sitting in the bottom of the terracotta pot, too lazy to fill that thing up with potting soil & transplant it.  Wasn't going to do a garden this year but the daughter objected & brought home the usual array of peppers & tomatoes too & like the basil they're all still in their little plastic things, it's pathetic - the jalapenos have actually sprouted out mini peppers, it's shameful =)

For some reason I'm still watering it all
    happy in the hut
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    No jeep update?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Pie looks great!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    That is a good looking pie. Looks like the iron skillet pies we used to make. Your post makes me wanna do another.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Zippylip
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    No jeep update?
    yup, just updated the thread

happy in the hut
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Your dough recipe is THE BEES KNEES.  I owe you several Champagnes of Beer if you ever get through Omaha.  I made a deep dish pizza at an Eggfest that won me a MiniMax.  

Seriously...thanks man! 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Looks good from here. Your pies are always a winner 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    I don't think I'm missing it, care to share the dough recipe please?  
  • Zippylip
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    Your dough recipe is THE BEES KNEES.  I owe you several Champagnes of Beer if you ever get through Omaha.  I made a deep dish pizza at an Eggfest that won me a MiniMax.  

Seriously...thanks man! 
    ha, that's awesome, glad I could help

Moleman said:
    I don't think I'm missing it, care to share the dough recipe please?  
    pretty simple, for one pie it's 2 cups of King Arthur bread flour, pinch of salt & pinch of yeast, 3/4 cup water, knead for a few minutes then cover in the bowl & let rise until it's about double, then shape it into a round that's the size of your cast iron pan & toss it in there (well oiled, I cover the bottom of mine with extra virgin olive oil), then cover that until it rises again, it should fill nearly the entire pan.  The best tip, when you add your cheese spread it right to the edges so you get that nice dark colored cheese gasket, tastiest part of the pie right there
    happy in the hut
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    12 inch cast iron?  
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Cheese gasket is the perfect description - that burnt cheese is critical to success!

there is no better beer to drink while working in the yard on a hot day. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle