Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Large & MiniMax cedar table build (modular nest inspired)

Options
unoriginalusername
unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
edited July 2018 in EGG Table Forum
Looking at the new modular nest system helped me come up with a plan to build a custom table for my eggs. Didn’t get as far as I hoped on the weekend but this is the progress so far 

the idea for connected individual tables 

the build 

More to come as I make progress 

Comments

• cccoltsicehockey
    Options
    Looking good so far.  Can't wait to see the finished product.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Looking good so far.  Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Thanks. Got some more done last night on the minimax side of the table bracing and platform for the egg. Now to build the middle section and join everything together. 

Havent decided on final shelf configuration yet either.   I want a space below each egg for hot stuff like the platesetter but also want storage for wood chunks and grilling tools etc. 

• unoriginalusername
    Options

Middle section joined. Trying to decide between a barn door vs a normal door for the middle section which will house plastic bins with tools and one with extra lump .... thoughts?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice. 

I’m building a bbq work table out of western red cedar too. Needs to be finished with Epifanes, and I need to figure out what to do about the top. Was thinking of a granite top with a cutout for a small sink, but have been waffling about that idea. 

What are you planning for the top? Looking to steal ideas :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    caliking said:
    Nice. 

I’m building a bbq work table out of western red cedar too. Needs to be finished with Epifanes, and I need to figure out what to do about the top. Was thinking of a granite top with a cutout for a small sink, but have been waffling about that idea. 

What are you planning for the top? Looking to steal ideas :smiley:
    lol I am making a butcher block style top. Here are the boards losley laying on top so you get the idea 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Are you planning on joining them together with biscuits or using the Kreg jig to screw them together? 

I thought about using boards to make a top, but was concerned about grime/grease getting stuck between the boards as the edges are rounded. Guess they could be planed to solve that issue. Plus it would be much cheaper than granite.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • unoriginalusername
    edited August 2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    Are you planning on joining them together with biscuits or using the Kreg jig to screw them together? 

I thought about using boards to make a top, but was concerned about grime/grease getting stuck between the boards as the edges are rounded. Guess they could be planed to solve that issue. Plus it would be much cheaper than granite.

Since I will be jigsaw’ing out the holes for the egg I don’t want to hit screws so I am using my biscuit joiner and lots of glue 

i ran the boards through a planner to square up the edges 
  • unoriginalusername
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Sorry double post, ignore 
  • marainwa
    marainwa Posts: 19
    Options

Middle section joined. Trying to decide between a barn door vs a normal door for the middle section which will house plastic bins with tools and one with extra lump .... thoughts?
    Great looking table!  I've been thinking of doing something similar once I add a minimax to the new collection.  My vote is for barnyard door style, just a personal preference.  I ended up going with that style door for my large table, pics below if you're trying to visualize it.

Large BGE
    Raleigh, NC
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    marainwa said:

Great looking table!  I've been thinking of doing something similar once I add a minimax to the new collection.  My vote is for barnyard door style, just a personal preference.  I ended up going with that style door for my large table, pics below if you're trying to visualize it.

You’re build is what inspired me on the farm door in the first place. The depot in Canada doesn’t seem to have the same parts which is what is scaring me towards a door but I do love the way your table looks. Enclosed is the progress after tonight. 

Got the bottom decking on as well as a shelf for platesetter and grill below the MM

• marainwa
    marainwa Posts: 19
    Options
    Looking great!  PM me if you want any details on the barn door...I can send you the exact parts I used from home depot.
    Large BGE
    Raleigh, NC
  • unoriginalusername
    edited August 2018
    Options

So many biscuits!!!!!

got distracted last night, all this love for the table and the eggs felt neglected so we had a night off to cook. 

Back to work today, biscuiting and glueing the top together 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Half way.... 4 more to add then the top is one piece. 

Would you use use a router to recess the tile or stick on top of the wood?
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Starting sanding on the top

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Man I really wish I had yall’s skills when I comes to woodworking and such. I wouldn’t even know where to begin 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Nice project!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Nice project!
    Thanks man. Looking forward to finishing it up and cooking on it 
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    That is awesome, great job!!!
    O-Town, FL

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    ewyllins said:
    That is awesome, great job!!!
    Thanks man. Quick update, built the door and installed it today. Nearly at seal time 

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    Details going much slower but almost there 

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    edited August 2018
    Options

Love that harvest table!

Some tips for your woodworking future:

Get more clamps! You can never have enough. On glue-ups like those, a clamp every six inches is ideal.

Learn how to make joints in the wood. Things like, 'lap', 'dovetail', and 'mortise & tenon' are much stronger than pocket screws. Especially important in a heavy table that will move.

Keep the pictures coming!

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    Kayak said:

Love that harvest table!

Some tips for your woodworking future:

Get more clamps! You can never have enough. On glue-ups like those, a clamp every six inches is ideal.

Learn how to make joints in the wood. Things like, 'lap', 'dovetail', and 'mortise & tenon' are much stronger than pocket screws. Especially important in a heavy table that will move.

Keep the pictures coming!

Thanks man, yes in hindsight I would have planned my joints differently as not having a plan I didn't really think about how heavy the end result would get.

I have wheels (8) for each of the 4x4 posts so I don't things are going to be stressed to a point of concern but if I were to do it again definitely the first thing I would change 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options

Starting stain. Dark top behind with natural finish on the base 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    love that you have 2 different stains.    very cool! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    That looks great.

Do you have the HD part numbers for the wood you used or is it just red cedar.  S4S or did you do the surfacing? I can handle either.

Curious why you cut a hole for the MM instead of leaving that part the top off and sitting the MM on the shelf below using its existing handles and carrier.

I have a nice wooden table for the LBGE but I need to add an extension for the MM or just build a whole new table like you did.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    That looks great.

Do you have the HD part numbers for the wood you used or is it just red cedar.  S4S or did you do the surfacing? I can handle either.

Curious why you cut a hole for the MM instead of leaving that part the top off and sitting the MM on the shelf below using its existing handles and carrier.

I have a nice wooden table for the LBGE but I need to add an extension for the MM or just build a whole new table like you did.
    Thanks man, its just stock Home Depot cedar.  I ran the table top through a planner to improve the joints but thats about it.

I like the look more of the cut out which is large enough to lift the egg in and out over the platform so no other reason than cosmetics
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    hav you got a link to the plans for this. I can't seem to find it on The Naked Wiz.

I see you used the Kreg R3. How did that work for you? The R3 is all I have though I want an R5 but too much money at the moment.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    hav you got a link to the plans for this. I can't seem to find it on The Naked Wiz.

I see you used the Kreg R3. How did that work for you? The R3 is all I have though I want an R5 but too much money at the moment.

I just grabbed wood and winged it, no plan sorry 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    edited August 2018
    Options
    i like your style, woke up and said eff it im going to build a table today i think ill need this much wood and it should be about yea big by yea wide or so lets see what happens.
    My best projects started out that way and yours is a beauty great job

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18