Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would you buy this??

mEGG_My_Day
mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
I have no need for this, but at this price, I may discover a need. 

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    no knowledge of the item except reading about on this forum and I believe it is the same size as the MM if so I would grab it I use the MM all the time and if this is the same concept and size i think its hard to pass up. Real question is will CSG accessories fit on it
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    I would buy a Weber Kettle instead
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I've cooked on 1/2 dozen of those.  They may be the best grill you can get for the money when they are $299.  At $99 it's a steal.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    This is a good deal, what store has these I may see if it’s in my area as well
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited July 2018
    I would buy that in a New York minute!! Maybe TWO! I have an Akorn Jr which has a 14" grid. I absolutely love it! It's a little harder to control temps than my Large egg, but easier than my old Mini was. The one you posted has a 20" grid, 2" larger than a large egg.  Were did you find it?

As for the Weber comment above, I have one of those too. Use the Akorn for most cooks, Large egg second, kettle hardly at all.

Edit: Forgot the link...
    https://www.chargriller.com/products/akorn-graphite-16620

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mEGG_My_Day
    @ryantt and @Carolina Q - it was at a Kroger in Memphis 
    Memphis, TN 

• Carolina Q
    LOL, oh well. I don't think I've seen a Kroger store since the 80s! Thanks. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mEGG_My_Day
    LOL, oh well. I don't think I've seen a Kroger store since the 80s! Thanks. 
    I wish I had not seen one since the 80’s.  They are the market leader here and are awefull.  I went on one today to get a pork butt, and they didn’t have one.  Friday afternoon, in an extremely BBQ centric market, and not a single pork butt!! :o:o:o
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    mlc2013 said:
    no knowledge of the item except reading about on this forum and I believe it is the same size as the MM if so I would grab it I use the MM all the time and if this is the same concept and size i think its hard to pass up. Real question is will CSG accessories fit on it
    I agree about accessories.  It would be great if I could rig it for indirect with two levels with my current collection of CGS and other stuff.
    Memphis, TN 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2018
    Yes I would buy it. My buddy has one and it’s great to cook on. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    I would buy it without hesitation. It is $305 on Amazon, is rated four stars out of five and has more than 600 reviews. Seems like a no brainer to me. I checked our local Kroger after reading your post, but none here. I was ready to go buy another grill I don't need.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    Y’all helped convince me to go buy it.  This is how the conversation went with my wife:

Me:  I’ll be back in a few minutes, I’m going to Kroger to buy a grill.

Wife: Buy a grill??? You have three already!! What do you need with a grill.

Me: (knowing my wife is a huge Memphis Grizzlies fan).  I know, but it’s kinda like when the Grizz get a second round draft pick in a trade.  It’s not really gonna help a whole lot, but may come in handy down the road.

Wife:  Oh.  We need butter too. 

Me:  OK

I figure at a minimum, it will make a nice gift. 

Brilliant. I'll have to try something like that sometime, but instead I'll have to make a point about not needing another pair of shoes, yet she buys them anyway.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I second the weber kettle idea 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Jump 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Foghorn
    mlc2013 said:
    I agree about accessories.  It would be great if I could rig it for indirect with two levels with my current collection of CGS and other stuff.
    Char-griller sells a heat blocking stone for $40 that you can order.  It comes with a 2 level swing grate.  Cooking on it on two levels is easy. Here's 5 racks of ribs.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    I have no need for this, but at this price, I may discover a need. 

At between $150-300 a lot of other people on a different forum have and they've been very, very happy with them.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited July 2018
    My BIL has one. It puts out some good grub. Heck of a price. 
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Looks like Amazon has this in red for $123.... I'm tempted
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    GoooDawgs said:
    @GoooDawgs I think that is the Akorn Jr.  Last year Wally World discounted them down to $50 or so at the end of summer. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    GoooDawgs said:
    @GoooDawgs I think that is the Akorn Jr.  Last year Wally World discounted them down to $50 or so at the end of summer. 
    You're right!  I thought with that big of a price difference the Kroger one had to be a Jr.  In that case this is a no brainer!  Spend away. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Let me get this straight......You are asking the bourbon heads of this forum how to spend your money?

My advice: Buy it. 

We are here for you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    So did you buy it?

And if you were serious about giving it as a gift... buy TWO! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mEGG_My_Day
    So did you buy it?

And if you were serious about giving it as a gift... buy TWO! =)
    Yes I purchased it.  It was the only one they had.  Many drinks since yesterday, and I have no idea what I will do with another grill! But what the @&$@.
    Memphis, TN 

• Foghorn
    Add it to your arsenal for when you have to cook 9 briskets and 30 racks of ribs for a crowd.

San Antonio, TX

• mEGG_My_Day
    Foghorn said:
    Add it to your arsenal for when you have to cook 9 briskets and 30 racks of ribs for a crowd.

That’s impressive!! My record (so far) is a turkey, two Butts and six racks of ribs.
    Memphis, TN