Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - First Anniversary Gift Ideas

2»

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited July 2018

My vote is go really big on the paper, while setting the bar very low.

Phoenix 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I’m waiting for @Lit to weigh in.  Seems to have some good suggestions today.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Get her an egg!

The receipt will be paper :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Kayak said:

Hand her $200?

Depends. Will she take it the wrong way if you leave it on the nightstand?
    Stillwater, MN
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Just get this, you know what to do. The box is paper. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Make paper statues cut from her favorite book.. look up "book  art".  I'd like to guess "pride and prejudice" is a good bet.  Mr Darcy and Elizabeth statues, made of paper of their own book, standing in the open pages of said book. 

Paper. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    Surely you, and your Egg, are the greatest gift she could have hoped for?

I suggest you take some time to remind her just how fortunate she is that you chose her - despite several strong alternatives.  Then go on to sincerely explain that while she has shown some development in her new role, you remain confident she can overcome the shortfalls and hopefully save you having to seek supplementary support.

You have nothing to fear from this approach as you will either;  never have to go through this anniversary gift selection process again, or, you will meet a mercifully swift and painless end.  

Actually - thinking a bit more about it,  you might like to warn neighbours that if you are unseen for a few days but the Egg is working 24/7,  not to accept any cooked meat. 

All that aside, have a great day. Never is there a better example of investment return if you go for it.

My wedding anniversary is looming, too -after nearly 30 of them the gift choices do get simpler.   My daughter celebrated her 1st a few weeks ago and son-in-law had 'their wedding song' printed and framed as a the paper element.  

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    dmchicago said:
    A kite. Paper. Tie misc. copies of your wedding photos to the tail and take her to a park for a nice picnic, wine, whatever. 

Fly the kite together and talk about the heights of your lives together still to climb.

After, frame the kite and hang in the bedroom.
    Dude....  did you think that up? Or get that from  someone else. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Sea2Ski said:
    dmchicago said:
    A kite. Paper. Tie misc. copies of your wedding photos to the tail and take her to a park for a nice picnic, wine, whatever. 

Fly the kite together and talk about the heights of your lives together still to climb.

That’s the antithesis of managing expectations. You’re screwed and tattooed for the rest of your life. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741

I always recommend this approach.
    Stillwater, MN
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Sea2Ski said:
    dmchicago said:

My own thinking. 

Im a romantic. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    dmchicago said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    dmchicago said:

My own thinking. 

Im a romantic. 

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Make something.  Those are the best.  A photo book from your favorite print place of all things done in that year (new car, house, kid, dog, whatever).  

Also, get a nice canvas print of your wedding photos.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • dmchicago
    billt01 said:
    dmchicago said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    dmchicago said:

My own thinking. 

Im a romantic. 

I don’t know what that is but I would put red sprinkles on it in the shape of a heart and put it in the picnic basket.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago
    I don’t want to pick nits but Cheez Balls are more appropriate for the 5th year anniversary. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    dmchicago said:
    I don’t want to pick nits but Cheez Balls are more appropriate for the 5th year anniversary. 
    The container has paper sides. Does that count? 
  • dmchicago
    Depends. How good does your right hand feel?

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I can’t remember what we did on our first anniversary.  I am no help.  Maybe ask those that have had multiple 1 year anniversaries what worked best.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    dmchicago said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    dmchicago said:

My own thinking. 

Im a romantic. 
    You have a can of Febreeze in your truck too, don't you?    =)  ;)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• dmchicago
    Botch said:
    dmchicago said:
    Sea2Ski said:
    dmchicago said:

My own thinking. 

Im a romantic. 
    You have a can of Febreeze in your truck too, don't you?    =)  ;)
    Ozium. 

Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Legume said:
    I can’t remember what we did on our first anniversary.  I am no help.  Maybe ask those that have had multiple 1 year anniversaries what worked best.
    Brilliant.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TexasRebel
    TexasRebel Posts: 100
    CPFC1905 said:
    Surely you, and your Egg, are the greatest gift she could have hoped for?

I suggest you take some time to remind her just how fortunate she is that you chose her - despite several strong alternatives.  Then go on to sincerely explain that while she has shown some development in her new role, you remain confident she can overcome the shortfalls and hopefully save you having to seek supplementary support.

You have nothing to fear from this approach as you will either;  never have to go through this anniversary gift selection process again, or, you will meet a mercifully swift and painless end.  

Actually - thinking a bit more about it,  you might like to warn neighbours that if you are unseen for a few days but the Egg is working 24/7,  not to accept any cooked meat. 

All that aside, have a great day. Never is there a better example of investment return if you go for it.

My wedding anniversary is looming, too -after nearly 30 of them the gift choices do get simpler.   My daughter celebrated her 1st a few weeks ago and son-in-law had 'their wedding song' printed and framed as a the paper element.  

I'm going to try this one I think.  Kinda like an annual review approach...."here are the things I think you could improve on" type deal.  I'll let you know how it works out!  What could possibly go wrong!?!?!
    Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Flowers, dinner out, and make a  "coupon book".  Like a coupon for another dinner out, movie night, girls night out, manicure, trip to the mall, several coupons for things she would enjoy and she can "redeem" when she wants...and for God's sake, champagne!!
    Hubby and I just celebrated out 25th.  I told him I wanted a fishing trip...
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    All I can say is Card. Don’t forget the damn card. I could get my wife a Maserati for our anniversary and the first thing she’d do is open the door and look for the card. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    CornfedMA said:
    All I can say is Card. Don’t forget the damn card. I could get my wife a Maserati for our anniversary and the first thing she’d do is open the door and look for the card. 
    Yours too, huh?
    About 4 years ago I did not buy one. I was a dead man walking. So I ended up making one. 
    She loved it.

Now I can do that for every holiday or even and she is fine with it. 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 76
    edited March 7

Those that are recently married or have already has a 1st anniversary, what are you doing/did you do/what gifts did you buy eachother etc visit website.

I have until August but dont want to do my usual and run around trying to sort something the day before.

Any ideas welcome!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    outdoor kitchen
    canuckland
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,359
    In my experience, no matter how nice and expensive, don't give her a vacuum.
    Fort Wayne Indiana