Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Merkur and the Muhle.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited July 2018 in Off Topic
Here is two of the greatest DE razors currently being manufactured today. If you are really wanting to take your shaving game to the highest level possible without transitioning to a straight, then look no farther.  
First up, the Merkur Futur adjustable. Some call it the “future” of shaving. 
The Futur on the left flanking the R41. 

The Futur is an adjustable razor. It can be dialed up and down to fit your shaving style and needs. On its lowest setting it is a very mild razor. However with a simple turn of the dial it can be turned up to be pretty darn aggressive. Not quite in the same league as the wicked Muhle, but still more aggressive than most will ever need. 
It is a very large and heavy razor. But it’s balance is near perfect. As far as quality materials and assembly, the Futur is as well built as any. 
A close up of the head. 

If you are an experienced wet shaver and want to reach the epitome of shaving, or if you are just a brave soul looking for a challenge, well look no farther my friends, the Muhle R41 has you covered. 
With its open comb design and wicked blade exposure and gap, it is simply a wrecking machine. A blood bath in waiting for the inexperienced or careless shaver. 
However in experienced  hands, due to its wicked blade exposure and gap, the mighty Muhle can easily approach the shaving closeness of a straight razor. 
Like the Futur, the R41 is an extremely well built machine.  Balance is near perfect. It’s a cats whisker smaller and lighter than the Futur. 
A close up of the wicked R41. 

With all of the above said, in no way is the R41 for novices or beginners. It is simply to aggressive. When loaded with a Feather blade, it’s a blood bath waiting to happen in inexperienced hands. 
However in a trained and skilled hand, the R41 will bring you as close to a straight shave as you are going to get. The Muhle R41 stands at the top of the food chain. It is the pinnacle and Holy Grail of DE razors. It is simply unchallenged and reins supreme in the world of DE shaving. Once you master the Muhle, you will be hard pressed to do any better short of a straight.  
One word of advice, if you try the R41, use the slickest soap that you can find. It won’t be a bad idea to use a preshave oil as well until you get use to its aggressiveness. 
I hope that y’all enjoyed a look at these two shaving machines my friends. Have a great day and shave on. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    edited July 2018
    When trolling turns into a lifestyle change... That’s next level stuff Scottie. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Scottie, glad you're back on-shore.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348

I’m leveling and resurfacing my deck. I’ve found the Ridgid impact driver to be indispensable to the success of this project. There are other impact drivers out there, but none approaches the quality of Ridgid. And it’s a lovely shade of orange. 

Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    jeffwit said:

I’m leveling and resurfacing my deck. I’ve found the Ridgid impact driver to be indispensable to the success of this project. There are other impact drivers out there, but none approaches the quality of Ridgid. And it’s a lovely shade of orange. 

Jeff, there is no shade of orange that is lovely. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    jeffwit said:

Jeff, there is no shade of orange that is lovely. 
    .....but nice project.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    I disagree. The Auburn shade is most pleasing to the eye and the soul. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    jeffwit said:

And their warranty is second to none- but personally in a Milwaukee guy 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    edited July 2018
    when we going to see some yellow coticules and belgium blues =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    What shave cream, soap or gel do you suggest? Brush and stand also?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    ...something...something...PAA DOC Evolution or something.  The Futur is providing an interesting learning experience.  I liked the looks and idea of the all stainless Feather, but felt it a bit much cash for a starter.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • SGH
    edited July 2018
    1voyager said:
    What shave cream, soap or gel do you suggest? Brush and stand also?
    @1voyager
     There is many great soaps out there. Here is a few of my personal favorites. 

Here is three great creams. Be advised that the Cremo does not build lather. But it’s as slick as axle grease. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited July 2018
    @1voyager
    I have been very well pleased with the Vikings Blade Silver Tip Badger brush, RazoRock Monster and Big Bruce. The Monster and the Big Bruce are plissoft synthetics. I also like the Parker Badger Brush. 

Even though it’s the smallest, check out this lather built with the Vikings Blade Badger Brush. It simply gets no better my friend. That’s not me bragging, just simply stating the facts. 
    BOOM!! Lather explosion.  

One would be very hard pressed to do any better my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @1voyager
    I really like this stand by Vikings Blade. Here it is holding the big Vikings Blade Vulcan razor and the Vikings Blade Badger Brush. This razor and brush is my go to for on the fly shaving. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    DMW said:
    Scottie, glad you're back on-shore.
    Me too brother D. I had really got run down and burned out. Now I can just sit around, relax and shave at will. The way it should be.  

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    For that clean and styled look after a great shave, here is an excellent paste and pomade. Great hold but doesn’t leave your hair “wet” looking.  

Status- Standing by.

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Man, you are into this. There definitely is a "cool factor" to it. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to burn through a couple dozen Gillette Comfort Plus 3's then take the plunge!
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    If you want true forum status, the Mühle R42SR is for you. Artisan crafted using the finest materials including genuine buffalo horn, this legacy piece will make you the envy of forum members around the globe. 

https://www.muehle-shaving.com/en/Shop/CLASSIC/SOPHIST/Razors/Safety-razor-from-MUEHLE-closed-comb-handle-material-buffalo-horn.html

• SGH
    1voyager said:
     then take the plunge!
    I hope that you do. It will change your life my friend. With that said, if you are totally new to DE shaving, don’t jump right in with R41. You will not enjoy it and you will get discouraged and give up. 
    Its no secret that I’m a huge fan of the R41, but I can’t in good conciseness recommend it to someone just starting out. It is simply to aggressive. 
    The Futur on the other hand is great for beginners and hardcore shavers alike because it’s adjustable. The same can be said of the Parker Variant. Like the Futur, it’s adjustable. The only difference in the Futur and Variant is their size and weight. If you have large hands and a large face, then the Futur is for you. If you have normal to small hands and a small face, the Variant is the better choice as it’s smaller than the Futur. Both are an excellent choice that will last you a lifetime. 
    However in time I would certainly like to see you make your way up to the Muhle R41. 

Status- Standing by.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    SGH said:

If you have small hands

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SGH
    If you want true forum status, the Mühle R42SR is for you. Artisan crafted using the finest materials including genuine buffalo horn, this legacy piece will make you the envy of forum members around the globe. 

https://www.muehle-shaving.com/en/Shop/CLASSIC/SOPHIST/Razors/Safety-razor-from-MUEHLE-closed-comb-handle-material-buffalo-horn.html

No doubt a masterpiece. However it is a closed comb head. For real world shaving, in no way can it compete with the R41. This is not conjecture, it’s simply a fact. 
    Its a great shaver and a show piece for sure. But the simple R41 blows it away when it comes to shaving. 

Status- Standing by.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I'll have to double-check Ridgid again; when I first looked at their tablesaw it was a piece of cheap junk compared to my older Delta.  Otherwise, like @slovelad, I'm a Milwaukee guy (my DeWalt biscuit joiner is an absolute joy, however).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    SGH said:
    For that clean and styled look after a great shave, here is an excellent paste and pomade. Great hold but doesn’t leave your hair “wet” looking.  

I prefer Dapper Dan.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    edited July 2018
    What is a DE razor, and why don’t you take this to www.manscapingforum.com?
    Memphis, TN
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Image result for shaving disasters
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SGH
    HighHeat said:
    What is a DE razor,
    DE = Double Edge. 

and why don’t you take this to www.manscapingforum.com?
    Because I like posting here. 

Status- Standing by.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,333
    edited July 2018
    I still use my Merkur 34C. I'm not skilled enough for them there fancier ones :)

I also shave my head, so I'm stuck in the Fusion/Gillette club for good when it comes to my noggin'
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SGH
    ColtsFan said:
    I still use my Merkur 34C. I'm not skilled enough for them there fancier ones :)
    That’s a great razor my friend. To use an aggressive razor like the R41, it’s not really skill but a delicate touch and close attention to detail. 

Status- Standing by.

• baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Image result for shaving disasters
    His tiger stripes really go well with the color of the blood.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @SGH I've always heard a "slant" is the best shave you can get.  Over the open/closed comb... just sayin'.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA