Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally Philly Cheesesteaks

I’ve been wanting to do this cook since I first got my BS. Finally found prepackaged thinly sliced sirloin for cheesesteaks at Market St. I might have committed some kind of philly blasphemy (blasphilly?) given I used some 3-pepper Colby jack cheese and Whataburger creamy pepper sauce, but they turned out fantastic. Will be sure to stock up on this steak next time I see it. Thanks for looking and thanks to previous philly posters for the inspiration!

XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I'd hit that like a fat kid at a carnival.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • TexasRebel
    TexasRebel Posts: 100
    I saw that at Market Street last time I was there.  May have to give it a try now that I've seen you cook it.  That looks fantastic!
    Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Did you find it at the meat department? I'll have to tell my wife to pick me up some on her way home from work.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Yep, need to do some phillys on the blackstone real soon
  • TexasRebel
    TexasRebel Posts: 100
    Griffin said:
    Did you find it at the meat department? I'll have to tell my wife to pick me up some on her way home from work.
    When I saw it it was in the meat department.  In one of those coolers in the middle of the aisle.
    Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i usually just buy a pile of shaved beef, is there a difference other than the flavor package
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jewild
    jewild Posts: 14
    Hope we don't all have to get our BS, too eat this good
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    edited July 2018
    @Griffin like @TexasRebel said I found it in a small standalone cooler.  However at my store it was actually down by the dairy section for some reason.  This makes me wonder whether I should have bought more when I saw it.  Thanks folks for the kind words and good luck tracking it down.

Edit @fishlessman I have never been able to come across shaved beef at my local supermarket so that's why I was excited to find this.  But yes you are correct it is simply shaved/thinly sliced sirloin.

With regards to the seasoning packet, I did use it, but I also put a healthy dose of DP Raising the Steaks on for good measure.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Awesome right there. One of our favorite on the BS
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    You can always take a sirloin to the Deli section and get them to slice it for you.   Usually cheaper and better sirloin
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    GoldenQ said:
    You can always take a sirloin to the Deli section and get them to slice it for you.   Usually cheaper and better sirloin
    I would have guessed they wouldn't do it because they would have to completely clean the machine after raw meat was on the slicer. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Trader joe's has great shaved steak, 8.49 a pound here locally. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Used to eat Steak-Umms occasionally. Haven't in years. I just looked to see if it was still sold and found this from 2012. No surprise.

"[C]hopped and formed emulsified meat product that is comprised of beef trimmings left over after an animal is slaughtered and all of the primary cuts, such as tenderloin, filet, and rib eye, are removed … The emulsified meat is pressed into a loaf and sliced, frozen and packaged."
    http://www.grubstreet.com/2012/04/what-is-really-in-steak-umms.html

Is Gary's Quick Steak the same thing or is it real sliced meat? Also, how thick are the slices?

Anyway, I thought authentic Philly cheesesteaks were supposed to be ribeye. No? 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    @Carolina Q this stuff was at least real sliced sirloin, it was not an "emulsified meat product."  The slices were pretty thin, maybe 2 or 3 mm? You may be right about authentic version using ribeye, I have no idea.
  • Kupkaked
    Kupkaked Posts: 33
    Yeah you can find these in the cooler section of most groceries now, I still tend to find it's not the proper cut of meat (too lean) or its still too thick. I'm from Philly, so if I do them at home, I get a decent ribeye (only way to go), freeze it and then slice it when its part-frozen real thin. Flat top, decent roll, wiz done and done. Still trying to find a way to take the classic Italian roast pork sandwhich but cooked on the BGE..
    Haddon Township, NJ
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Kupkaked said:

Still trying to find a way to take the classic Italian roast pork sandwhich but cooked on the BGE..
    @Kupkaked, I haven't tried this yet, but here's a recipe for a Dinic's clone (slow cooker, but I'm sure it could be adapted).
    https://thesuburbansoapbox.com/philly-style-roast-pork-sandwich/

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Last time we did Cheesesteaks I used boneless ribeye roast that I'd Egged for Christmas. I made sure to oversize the roast so we'd have savory leftovers. Savory was an understatement!
    Michiana, South of the border.