Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Santa Clauss has came to town.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited July 2018 in Off Topic
Fellows, as most of you know I have been looking for a vintage, mint Clauss for years. A few days ago I finally hit pay dirt. I proudly give you the Clauss 5406 and the Clauss American Classic. 

Two American icons to say the very least. The Clauss 5406 is the Cadillac of straight razors. I’m going to hand hone these myself and do a little blade touch up.  In no way will I risk sending them out for blade work. 
I hope y’all enjoy these icons as much as I have my friends. Hope you have a great day and an even better shave. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    How is this "off topic"?!  Those are bad dudes, I could see myself shaving with one of those before using a Muhle41
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SGH
    How is this "off topic"?!  
    I don’t get it either. Some folks seem to think that shaving is “off topic” so I post it there to appease them. However I feel that shaving is the most important topic. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Congrats; know you've been looking for them for awhile.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    make sure to do the gillette slide technique with those straights, only way to get bbs.  not a good thing to do after a heavy night of drinking and shaky hands ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Your desire for expensive razors both boggles my mind and intrigues me. Keep it up.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I'm thinking that at Brisket Camp, you should shave one side of your anus with one and one side of your anus with the other - and then see if other folks can tell the difference.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Is the shaving stroke (ha ha, I know) different with these fancy razors? Or do you just use them like any old disposable?
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SGH
    Your desire for expensive razors both boggles my mind and intrigues me. Keep it up.
    I will never stop my friend. Shaving is a way of life for me. It’s the first and last thing that I do everyday.  I’m always trying to perfect it. I’m constantly looking for a better blade, a better soap, how to build a better lather etc, etc. It’s an endless quest.   

Status- Standing by.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    SGH said:
    I will never stop my friend. Shaving is a way of life for me. It’s the first and last thing that I do everyday.  I’m always trying to perfect it. I’m constantly looking for a better blade, a better soap, how to build a better lather etc, etc. It’s an endless quest.   
    Obviously not a lot to do in your spare time on an oil rig 
  • SGH
    Foghorn said:
    I'm thinking that at Brisket Camp, you should shave one side of your anus with one and one side of your anus with the other - and then see if other folks can tell the difference.
    If it was a single pass the 5406 would be the clear winner. Even an absolute novice could see the difference. 

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited July 2018
    Congrats. You know, you could shave brisket fat, then this would be on topic.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    DMW said:
    Congrats. You know, you could shave brisket fat, then this would be on topic.
    I hear ya brother D. 

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @SGH- you are collecting many useful artifacts to the point that you should consider your follow-on legacy.  I see a well groomed and trimmed welcome center complete with pointers on how to appreciate a true delicacy, smooth shaved (fore and against the grain) anus.  Gotta be a winner.  
    And here I thought women were shave particular-learn something new every day here.  =)  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    What do you use to hone something like this? I use HandAmerica magnetic bovine leather pads with 1 micron paste on one and .5 micron paste on the 2nd to polish my knives would this work on a straight razor? 
  • SGH
    edited July 2018
    Lit said:
    What do you use to hone something like this? I use HandAmerica magnetic bovine leather pads with 1 micron paste on one and .5 micron paste on the 2nd to polish my knives would this work on a straight razor? 
    I have a old barbers hone that belonged to my grandfather. There is no writing left anywhere on it so I have no idea what brand it is. The only thing I know for sure is it’s 1500 grit. After working it extensively by hand on the hone, I move to a 3 wide leather strop. 
    And to the question you asked, yes it will work on a straight razor. I have a Baldor knife machine and I will use the paste on muslin wheels to hone edges back on knives. You could certainly do the same by hand it would just longer.  

Status- Standing by.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    SGH said:
    Fellows, as most of you know I have been looking for a vintage, mint Clauss for years. A few days ago I finally hit pay dirt. I proudly give you the Clauss 5406 and the Clauss American Classic. 

Two American icons to say the very least. The Clauss 5406 is the Cadillac of straight razors. I’m going to hand hone these myself and do a little blade touch up.  In no way will I risk sending them out for blade work. 
    I hope y’all enjoy these icons as much as I have my friends. Hope you have a great day and an even better shave. 
    Don't know razors but I do know tools, very nice examples of craftsmanship in those razors.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • SGH
    Don't know razors but I do know tools, very nice examples of craftsmanship in those razors.
    Thank you brother. Part of what you said is why I wanted a Clauss. They were American made and made back when craftsmanship was everything. At the time, Clauss was one of the top razors in the world. And the best part was they were made right here in the good ole USA. 

Status- Standing by.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited July 2018
    SGH said:
    Thank you brother. Part of what you said is why I wanted a Clauss. They were American made and made back when craftsmanship was everything. At the time, Clauss was one of the top razors in the world. And the best part was they were made right here in the good ole USA. 
    You have inspired me to give it a try. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • SGH
    SGH said:
    You have inspired me to give it a try. 
    I’m glad to hear this. Jump in and see what you think. I’m willing to bet that you enjoy it. 

Status- Standing by.

• fishlessman
    Lit said:
    natural yellow coticule stone is about 6000 to 8000 grit when worked into a slurry, clean and wet about 10000 to 12000 grit.  then the green paste, .5 micron? on leather to polish it out and maintain the blade til it needs sharpening again. the green paste polishes it out but over time it will also round out the bevel so it will need to be stoned out to keep the bevel flat. its a balancing act of sharpness and smoothness,  you can even smooth it out more honing on newspaper but its really not needed, theres a point where a higher sharpness isnt needed. 
    fukahwee maine

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    over it shut up GIF by Oxygen
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    korean fried chicken GIF by Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    white house wtf GIF
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    oh my god omg GIF by WWE
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
  • EggHill
    EggHill Posts: 20
    @SGH You said you used a leather strop have you ever tried balsa wood as an alternative? I find it to be much better for polishing and I use a 3x3x12” block that has 6 micron diamond paste on one side and 2.5 on the other. And for everyday stropping I use the regular balsa side. It doesn’t flex like a strop so it’s less prone to rounding the edge. 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    SGH said:
    How is this "off topic"?!  
    I don’t get it either. Some folks seem to think that shaving is “off topic” so I post it there to appease them. However I feel that shaving is the most important topic. 
    Keep on posting. I am enjoying learning something new. In searching several shave-related websites I had no idea that there is a huge cult following similar to us crazy Eggheads.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • fishlessman
    edited July 2018
    no love for the merkur 11c,  shave like bond...james bond
    \

James Bond’s penchant for a Hoffritz safety-razor is an interesting story in itself. It transpires that Bond used a Hoffritz brand razor which is now discontinued but was produced by DOVO Solingen who rebranded (to Hoffritz) their identical Merkur 11C Open Comb safety-razor, which has also now been discontinued. The closest match available today is the equally impressive Muhle R41 Double Edged Safety Razor. Alternatively, the Merkur 34C is almost identical but with a closed comb.

fukahwee maine

• SGH
    EggHill said:
    @SGH You said you used a leather strop have you ever tried balsa wood as an alternative? I find it to be much better for polishing and I use a 3x3x12” block that has 6 micron diamond paste on one side and 2.5 on the other. And for everyday stropping I use the regular balsa side. It doesn’t flex like a strop so it’s less prone to rounding the edge. 
    I have not tried it yet. But I have some ordered. I fixing to test the waters with the balsa wood. It’s something that I have heard of and read about, but never tried before. But I’m fixing to give it a go. I will certainly share my results.  

Status- Standing by.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    @SGH - how about a shaving exchange this year since the next rub/sauce exchange is a year away...?