Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - First Anniversary Gift Ideas

So the SWMBO and I will be celebrating our 1st Anniversary in September and I'm looking for ideas for a nice gift.  I'd like to try to keep it under 200 bucks or so.  And I'd like to adhere to the Paper for 1st Anniversary tradition.  Any ideas?
Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
Hotty Toddy!
Mansfield, TX

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Wedding picture framed 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    parts of this are wrapped in paper....

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• TexasRebel
    TexasRebel Posts: 100
    billt01 said:
    parts of this are wrapped in paper....

She'd love that! 
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    Ok...you’re new at this so listen up. 

Set a precedent. If you go too nice, sentimental, over the top, you’ll screw yourself in the long run. 

Small, thoughtful, and write a solid note in a card. Take her out to dinner. No dishes. 

I think I did concert tickets. (Paper)

this man may know a thing or two...not necessarily about women (no man does), but nonetheless a thing or two 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    We keep our anniversary gifts small as far as cost goes and usually go out for dinner or make a good meal at home.  

I’ve had good luck searching for the anniversary year on sites like Etsy and getting ideas from there and have ordered something from there the past few years.  Think memories over materialistic goods.

https://www.etsy.com/market/1st_anniversary_gift

• TexasRebel
    Thanks for all of the advice guys.  We have a trip planned to San Antonio....1/2 work 1/2 personal that will be paid for by my company.  The plan is to make that our anniversary present for each other and just enjoy ourselves.  Nice dinner or two, maybe see some stuff, walk the boardwalk, etc.  Sounds perfect to me.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700

Hand her $200?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• DoubleEgger
    Kayak said:

Hand her $200?

Technically you need to write her a check. Bills are cloth. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    First year and subsequent years are "The Year of the Card". 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    Party is still holding out for The Year of the Diamond Earrings 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Party is still holding out for The Year of the Diamond Earrings 
    Prolly spend my life insurance when I pass away.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    @Killit_and_Grillit gave solid advice, I have been married for a little longer then you (15 years) and I totally agree with gift giving but keeping it small and thoughtful. I started the gifts with hand written cards with a little history on how we met etc. (we were high school sweet hearts and dated for 9 years before getting married so theres a lot of stories, I know 9 years not enough time I tried pushing for 15 but our parents wouldn't have it)  My wife seemed to eat that up, not all girls do as @billt01 pointed out non of us can pretend we know what they are thinking. I gave her (us) tickets to see a play which was great but now I see a play or show every year, Im not complaining as I actually enjoy most of them, not opera did THAT ONCE, still have nightmares as im just not sophisticated enough for those. In the end I try to keep it simple and do something I know we don't normally do as to try and keep it memorable. My cards now are store bought and i write love Michael on them no more stories but still try and do different things. Good luck.
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

Set a precedent. If you go too nice, sentimental, over the top, you’ll screw yourself in the long run. 

Small, thoughtful, and write a solid note in a card. Take her out to dinner. No dishes. 

Setting a low bar is always a prudent move. Gotta manage expectations. 
    This is something that someone should have told me 20+ years ago.

On a few occasions, I pursued the short term reward of giving an anniversary gift that would bring her great joy and exceed her expectations.  However, the long term consequences of that being the new standard and then disappointing her in subsequent years always proved to me that I should just keep expectations low.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Thanks for all of the advice guys.  We have a trip planned to San Antonio....1/2 work 1/2 personal that will be paid for by my company.  The plan is to make that our anniversary present for each other and just enjoy ourselves.  Nice dinner or two, maybe see some stuff, walk the boardwalk, etc.  Sounds perfect to me.
    If the weather is nice, for an anniversary dinner, it's hard to beat an outside table on the Riverwalk at Little Rhein Steakhouse or its next door neighbor Fig Tree.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TexasRebel
    Foghorn said:
    If the weather is nice, for an anniversary dinner, it's hard to beat an outside table on the Riverwalk at Little Rhein Steakhouse or its next door neighbor Fig Tree.
    Sounds great!  Any other advice for the San Antonio area?  Any good BBQ?  Maybe I can talk her into stopping in Austin on the way back or the way there.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    edited July 2018
    mlc2013 said:
    ...Im not complaining as I actually enjoy most of them, not opera did THAT ONCE, still have nightmares as im just not sophisticated enough for those. 
    Heh.  I took what's-her-name to Vegas at the last minute for her 45th birthday, and said we could see any show she wanted.  She chose "Riverdance".  :anguished:  Show was almost sold out, so we got tickets in the front row (which is NOT where you want to sit for any ballet/dance type show, especially featuring too many guys in tights, tap-dancing).  Long show, felt like 17 days. Ugh!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Botch now your talking guys in tights tap dancing im going LOL Yeah there are a few shows that were not for me but for the most part I enjoy most of the them I live in NY so it 45 min to NYC and all the bway shows are mostly not men in tights

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn said:
    Sounds great!  Any other advice for the San Antonio area?  Any good BBQ?  Maybe I can talk her into stopping in Austin on the way back or the way there.
    In general, the food on the Riverwalk is quite good - except the Mexican food.  It is better than what you'll find almost anywhere else, but by San Antonio standards it is not great.  Get your Mexican fix somewhere else - like the Mexican market - or just about anywhere.

As for BBQ, I've been looking for an opportunity to try 2M - which is supposed the be the best in town - and maybe the best in the state/world.

https://texasbbqposse.com/2017/04/2m-smokehouse-turning-best-barbecue-texas.html

San Antonio, TX

• Salmonegg
    Salmonegg Posts: 79
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for all of the advice guys.  We have a trip planned to San Antonio....
    I did just this for my ninth anniversary last month.  We were on our way to a family thing and flew into SAT a couple nights early.  We stayed in the Omni La Mansion and got upgraded to a suite overlooking the river. It was great and we really enjoyed the hotel and the location, though the food at Rosario's is better than anything we found on the Riverwalk. If I were headed back, I might stay at the Emma. 

Re: your other question about BBQ, I had brisket at the Granary and it was OK, but not worth a special trip. I think you're better off with Tex-Mex in SA, proper.
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310

Truly @Killit_and_Grillit speaks with wisdom.  Heed his words.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831

Such Amateurs. Easy, handmade coupon book for 50 sessions of TexasRebel love. =) We just celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary. I'm lucky though because I have a wife that likes simple things. You could go total cheeseball and get her a star from the International Star Registry.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited July 2018
    How about a framed poster of her favorite movie?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 456
    On our first anniversary we visited several galleries and ultimately chose a lithograph that is still displayed in our home. We will be celebrating 44years next month and looking at that 1st Anniversary gift still brings a smile to my face.  Happy anniversary to you and your wife. 
    IL 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited July 2018
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    A kite. Paper. Tie misc. copies of your wedding photos to the tail and take her to a park for a nice picnic, wine, whatever. 

Fly the kite together and talk about the heights of your lives together still to climb.

After, frame the kite and hang in the bedroom.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Gift certificate  for a "spa day"  ?   I have planned a weekend getaway for our fall anniversary for 25 years and counting.  
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Kayak said:

Hand her $200?

Technically you need to write her a check. Bills are cloth. 
    Ahhh...so that's why we call it cloth money.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk