Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Norah’s Grilling adventure: OT

ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
Sorry for the long post, just came across a photo and started to reminisce. 

It has been just over a year now that Norah Grace has have her very own kamado cooker.   Last May 1st we received a very generous gift from Bobby at Kamado Joe, her own Joe Jr.  she was so excited the day that it arrived that she couldn’t wait for me to get home from work!!!!she kept calling me and calling me.  Asking when I would be home for her to open up her gift.  

When I arrived I was met in the garage by her smiling face, as she opened it up she kept asking me if she could use it that night. How could I say no! So off the the local butcher we went to grab a few Ny strips.  I’ve attached a photo of that day.  

BBQ has been a wonderful blessing for our family, it has given Norah and I something to share.   We’ve met a tremendous amount of kind people at eggfest and other events.  It puts a smile on my face to watch her at local comps and EggFest beat men and women who are often 5 times her age.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Yep.  Enjoy the adventure.  My son and I started down this path over a decade ago when he was about 7.  It's been a great journey.  He's never had his own grill, but he always could use any of mine any time he wants.  In a few weeks he's moving into a house for his senior year of college and we are getting him a grill for it.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Always enjoy reading about her cooking successes.  I hope the enthusiasm continues.  You are blessed right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ryantt
    @Foghorn I say get him a Webber, that’s what I started out on 20+ yrs ago.    

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Life, is good. This is what makes it exceptional.
    Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    @ryantt Great stuff.  Anything that brings father and daughter together is time very well spent.  As the father of a 19 yeaor old girl, I can tell you it will pay dividends down the road - we are as close as ever.  For us, it wasn’t cooking - mini-golf, ice cream cones, swimming, rec soccer, or just watching silly kid tv shows - all were the best parts of every day.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Cool story, Ryan!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• That's awesome. Love these posts. My daughter isn't quite there...still too young to trust with an open flame but she is getting to be quite the little sous chef. It's the best having something to share like that.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• ryantt
    @Killit_and_Grillit how old is your souls chef?   We started when she was around 4yrs old.  Mostly she just sat and played while I was manning the UDS or other grills.  

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    ryantt said:
    That is what I suggested as he has cooked on mine and my dad's.   However, he is very fond of the versatility and portability of our ProQ (British bullet smoker now sold in the US as Napoleon) - so we're looking at a Napoleon AS200K (16") vs 300K (20").

https://www.napoleongrills.com/grills/product-details/productid/24/ccd/en-ca/apollo-200-charcoal-grill-and-water-smoker

Being able to latch it together and lift it with the handle on top - without or with one or both of the two middle sections - make it the really functional in a variety of settings - camping, tailgating, grilling steaks, or slow smoking stuff.  

Given that he's only going to live in his house for a year and then graduate and probably move somewhere else for grad school, he values the portability/flexibility.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• ryantt
    @Foghorn Napoleon makes some killer stuff.  I’d be happy to have any of their products 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    ryantt said:

I started with the Weber Smokey Joe in College.  My Apt complex didnt have a shared grill of any sort, and with that I could grill let it cool down and bring it back into my apt. a few hours later.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • @ryantt she just turned 4. She has been helping prep and cook for a while, but her stubborn personality makes me a little hesitant to let her think she can just go “check the grill”. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @ryantt
    Tell Norah that I proudly give her the Double Seal Of Approval for an outstanding job. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Sadly this thread has been buffaloed. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    I’m going to go way out on a limb and say it may be because of the red Kamado. That’s pretty sad though. 

Status- Standing by.

• ryantt
    @SGH Norah’s proud to have a  double seal of approval. She enjoys cooking on her kjs or xl egg, she’s color blind that way. 

• SGH
    ryantt said:
    she’s color blind that way. 
    I am too.  

Status- Standing by.