Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Basic Question: Smoke Color

bbqdiva
bbqdiva Posts: 192
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Heya Eggers,[p]Well, I have a very basic question for ya'll. If I'm smokin somethin', what color should the smoke be comin ' out of the Egg & how long should I worry about putting wood chips on the Egg?[p]
Thank ya'll and regards,[p]Tish a.k.a. thediva

Comments

• DSCN1404%20(3).JPG?dc=4675557128732449578
    <p />bbqdiva, This pic has a nice mellow smoke goin'. You almost wonder if it's even there. That's when you're getting a nice smoke on your food. Many people call it blue smoke. [p]For pizza or breads, I only want smoke for 2 or 3 minutes and on the other end of the spectrum for hot smoked salmon, I like smoke for up to 10 hours. It all depends. [p]I sniff my egg to tell if I am getting smoke. You can definitely tell the difference between wood smoke and lump. [p]Of course, You want your smoke coming from the wood only, not the lump. [p]Have fun, Scott

• Scotty's Inferno,
    Hmm... Seems like I always have smoke coming from the lump, you mean that's not supposed to happen?[p]It's often bluish when it's been burning awhile and I never cook unless the fire's been burning 30 min.or so

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Flashback Bob,
    With just the lump you'll get a bluish smoke that is just barely there. Your okay.[p]When your first light it up and sometimes get a whitish smoke, that is what you don't want to cook with.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Scotty's Inferno,[p]You almost wonder if it's even there [p]That says it all.[p]~thirdeye~[p]PS You have mail

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Scotty's Inferno,
    Im wanting to somke some salmon how do I need to somke it for 10 hours like you sated above what temp does it need to be and what kind of wood should I use.
    Thanks RTC Smoke
    "Ryan"

• RTC Smoke, I use the recipe and method on the naked whiz link below, but I substitute teriyake for the soy sauce and water for the white wine. [p]As for smoke I use birch and/or alder. You want something mild--not oak, mesquite, hickory or pecan. Apple, cherry and other fruitwoods would probably work well.[p]You are smoking indirect of course and the "coffee can method" below works great for this:[p]Cold smoking on the egg

I'm using this to smoke anything @ low temps. Take a 2 or 3 pound coffee can and cut the top and bottom out. Clean out the egg. Set the can on top of the grid where the ashes fall through. Fill the can about 1/2 way with used lump. Light the lump and let it get going. Open the bottom vent all the way. This will keep your fire from going out! Close the daisy wheel nearly completely, but enough to breathe.(I use Mickey T's #1 temp ring, but that's probably not critical) Add chunks, then a cool plate setter and food to be smoked. When you close the Egg, your temps should be very low and will creep up slowly if you keep it shut. If temps get too hot, move your jerky to a dehydrator to finish, or open up the egg, and let it cool and start again. You may have to add lump if you go a long time, but adding lump lets the egg cool down while it is open. I love this method, and learned it from forum member HolySmokes.

Have fun, Scott

[p]

[ul][li]Russell's Smoked Salmon[/ul]
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Just curious, Scott. How long can you keep a fire going with 1/2 can of lump?

• Hi Egret, Of course a lot depends on how open your daisy wheel is and how hot you are cooking. Either way, it is amazing how long 1/2 can of used lump will go. If I'm doing jerky or chipotles(as low as possible), it can go 6-10 hours. If I'm cooking hotter, like the salmon(180-200) 4-6 hours. On the salmon, I'm starting out with more like 3/4 of a can, because I'm not afraid of the heat getting into the cooking range of 160+.
    Scott

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    af785aa5.jpg
    <p />Scotty's Inferno,[p]I made this mini basket out of expando that sits inside the standard round charcoal basket on my BDS. I'm thinking a mini charcoal basket would work in my Egg too.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Scotty's Inferno,
    That's pretty amazing! I'm just starting to get into lower temp. cooks such as cheese. Appreciate the info. Best wishes to you and family.....

• egret, The cheese posts have not missed my eye either! I plan on using the can method with a quarter of lump and cherry chunks--this weekend.[p]Same to you and yours, Scott

• Scotty's Inferno,[p]Just stumbled upon this. Plan to hot smoke sausage soon, as low as I can go (one method calls for 120° for 30-60 minutes, 160° for 30 minutes, then 180°until meat reaches 156°). This just might be possible (or something close it it).[p]As they say in the Guinness commercial, "Brilliant!"[p]Thanks heaps,[p]KbJ
  • Keyboard Jack, Love those Guiness commercials. This method is perfect for what you are describing, because the Egg temps slowly climb. The cooler your outside air temps are, the long you can hold low temps.[p]Remember, keep the bottom vent totally open to allow a good source of oxygen and just barely vent the top. I also stir the coals through the bottom grate via the bottom vent. This helps keep the fire going and almost always results in a fresh burst of smoke.
    Have fun, Scott

• Scotty's Inferno,[p]Brilliant!