Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Florida Keys Fishing Trip

A little late to post this but the family and I went down to the Keys the week of the 4th and had a great time.  Had to christen my dad's new boat by getting some blood on the deck for sure.  My son and daughter both got to catch their first fish and what a trip to do it on.  SWMBO is hell of a fisherwoman too.  Caught Mahi, Yellowtail Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Blue Line Tiles, and a rose fish (that's the weird looking reddish one).  Nothing like fresh fish for dinner. 
Just an Ole Miss Rebel fan living in Texas.
Hotty Toddy!
Mansfield, TX

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Great job! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Living large right there. Your dad got him one sweet boat!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• TexasRebel
    TexasRebel Posts: 100
    Living large right there. Your dad got him one sweet boat!
    Lol yes it's nice.  It's a far cry from what we used to fish on down there.  It's weird not having to spend 2 or 3 days of your Keys vacation working on an old Grady White.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    Holy mahi! That should keep the freezer full for awhile.
  • TexasRebel
    Yeah it was kinda like that scene from Forest Gump....fried mahi, grilled mahi, mahi sandwich, blackened mahi.......Never get tired of it though.
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Nice fishing trip :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 579
    Yeah it was kinda like that scene from Forest Gump....fried mahi, grilled mahi, mahi sandwich, blackened mahi.......Never get tired of it though.
    For sure. It's a really versatile fish.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    That's awesome.  Where in the Keys?  We used to go to Summerland Key pretty regularly.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TexasRebel
    Foghorn said:
    That's awesome.  Where in the Keys?  We used to go to Summerland Key pretty regularly.  
    Ramrod!  Right next to Summerland.  Been going there since I was a baby.  Such a blessing to be able to experience it down there.  Most of the places have recovered pretty well from Irma.  Still a little rough but the tourists were certainly there which means money coming in!
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• Foghorn
    Foghorn said:
    Ramrod!  Right next to Summerland.  Been going there since I was a baby.  Such a blessing to be able to experience it down there.  Most of the places have recovered pretty well from Irma.  Still a little rough but the tourists were certainly there which means money coming in!
    Very cool.  We rented a waterfront house (Atlantic front) and rented a boat to go diving/snorkeling out at Looe Key and off of Little Palm Island (there is a patch reef there).

We learned the way out to Looe Key by doing one dive trip with the operator on Ramrod.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TexasRebel
    Yeah Little Palm got hit really bad by Irma.  Could be another year or so before they're back operational.  That patch reef right there is pretty great.  I used to go stay with my grandparents for the whole summer when I was a little kid so we would take the little boat out there and snorkel around.  Still very beautiful.  Looe Key is still just as beautiful as it always was.  There are huge Goliath Grouper out there that have been fed so many times by boaters that they'll just come up and wait.  Really cool to see those guys in the water.  Kinda intimidating but still cool.  We're at the very end of the canal when you took the dive boat out.  Last house on the left right before the channel markers start.  Love it down there. 
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Beautiful haul! All excellent eats right there! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • NC_Egghead
    NC_Egghead Posts: 786
    Looks like y’all had a great time! Nice boat! Summerland Key is where BSA has one of their adventure bases. I spent a week out there a few years ago snorkeling and fishing. Nothing like eating the fish you caught that morning. Good times!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Foghorn
    I know that canal well.  

Sorry to hear about Little Palm.  Is the "Truman" still operating?

San Antonio, TX

• pUreHkcoL
    pUreHkcoL Posts: 49
    Truly some great family time there. Cherish every moment you can, while you can. You are a lucky man. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    “Nothing like fresh fish for dinner.”  Truer words have not been said, especially same day catch.  Looks like good times.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    You all rocked out some awesome catching! and catching is always better than Fishing. That boat is spot on only because of the Mercury power! The wife and I have spent hundreds of hours fishing off Long Key, always stayed at Edgewater Lodge. Life has changed for us and we don't even have an ocean fishing boat now. Thanks for sharing with us.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• TexasRebel
    Foghorn said:
    I know that canal well.  

I'm not sure to be honest with you.  Dolphin Marina is completely shut down as well so I don't know what they've done with the Truman.  Hear they're turning that into a private marina with little cabins and stuff.  That's cool and all but that takes away a very convenient source for fuel for us.  So no more public fuel dock there unfortunately. 
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• TexasRebel
    pUreHkcoL said:
    Truly some great family time there. Cherish every moment you can, while you can. You are a lucky man. 
    I'll tell you what....you are absolutely correct.  One of the greatest experiences of my life was seeing the excitement on my kids' faces when they caught their first fish.  It was surreal.  I realize that I am lucky to be able to experience moments like that.  Truly amazing.  Hell I only caught like 2 or 3 out of all of those fish lol.  Way more fun watching them. 
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX

• Foghorn
    Foghorn said:
    I know that canal well.  

I'm not sure to be honest with you.  Dolphin Marina is completely shut down as well so I don't know what they've done with the Truman.  Hear they're turning that into a private marina with little cabins and stuff.  That's cool and all but that takes away a very convenient source for fuel for us.  So no more public fuel dock there unfortunately. 
    That's unfortunate.

How far out did you go for the fish - particularly the mahi?

San Antonio, TX

• TexasRebel
    Foghorn said:
    Foghorn said:
    I know that canal well.  

That's unfortunate.

How far out did you go for the fish - particularly the mahi?
    This time the weed lines were actually pretty close.  Just 10 or so miles outside the reef.  In the past, we've gone out 20 or 30 miles out to 2000 ft of water.  We caught most of them this time in about 700 or 800 ft.  Weeds were everywhere along with birds and flotsam.  That's mainly what we're looking for.  We also caught a mahi and brought in a school close to the boat in 60 ft of water while yellowtailing right off the reef.  I'm 33 and have been fishing down there my whole life and never seen that before. 
    Hotty Toddy!
    Mansfield, TX