Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat

Options
Daddyshack
Daddyshack Posts: 179
Only five of us so made a flat -my first on my month old XL. 5#. Salt and pepper overnight.  350 degrees for 3.5 hours until 160 IT. then foil for two hours until 205 IT. then FTC for four hours.   Used hickory chunks and apple cider in drip pan.  Wasn’t a lot of fat.  Served with roasted potatoes and jalapeño cornbread in cast iron skillet     
But was moist.  Bark was so so. Friends loved it though. 

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Man, that really looks fantastic!  Flats are all I've ever cooked (I hardly ever see packers in my area, and I'm usually just cooking for me and my wife, and she's off red meat, these days, so a packer is just way too much meat for me.)  Looks great!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Great cook.  Nailing a flat is more of a challenge than a packer.  You brought that one home.  Congrats.
    The likely contributor to your so-so bark was the time in the foil. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Nailed it brother... I know it was enjoyed by all...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    edited July 2018
    Options
    That is one of the best looking flat cooks I’ve seen here.  Nice work!

Oh, and, welcome to the forum!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike