Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL 2nd level grid clearance

Options
I have the second level grid for the XL, which is 18" wide. Does anyone know if there is enough clearance between the grid and the dome to place one or two rib racks like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Sorbus-Non-Stick-Rib-Rack-Barbecuing/dp/B01GU6A8T0/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1532121716&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=rib+rack&psc=1

Comments

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I can put a butt on my second level grid but do not think a rib rack would fit     .i have cut ribs into and cooked 2 full baby back racks    4 halves there
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • haroldopsf
    haroldopsf Posts: 37
    Options
    How can it be that you can fit a pork but but no rib rack? The pork butt is taller, no?
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    For perspective on fit:

I’m assuming you have the BGE 2nd level set up as shown.  If so, I think you should be able to fit one rib rack.  Keep in mind the rack height is less of a factor than the ribs themselves.  Baby back or St. Louis trimmed spares should be ok.  Untrimmed spares could be an issue.  

I can try a test fit in a few hours on either the 2nd level grid or an adjustable rig if that helps.  I think I have a rib rack I can try but I recall the slots were slanted on mine which would lower the height a little (the one you linked looks completely upright).
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Here’s a frozen rack of kurobota spares that stand 6” on end(just to see how it fit).  It barely fit with my AR raised grid set at just over 4” above the lower grid (similar height as the BGE 2nd level).

Its a tight fit and as you fill up the rack you could end up with ribs in contact with the dome .  You might be better off cooking them flat on the upper grid.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA