Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Short Ribs and Pizza

SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
I decided to cook out tonight in spite of this ridiculous heat wave we’re having.
this is at 7:00 PM in the shade. 

I grilled some short ribs for an appetizer. They did not disappoint. 

After this we cooked a couple of pizzas. I use my standard sourdough bread recipe for the crust. The first is a classic margherita pizza. The next was “use up what’s in the fridge”. It had cheese, Italian sausage, and pesto. 

Thanks for looking. Life is good my friends. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Fantastic as usual. Those are some meaty grilled short ribs. Looks great!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Simply spectacular brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SciAggie
    Thanks y’all. A couple of cold adult beverages helped with the heat :)
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Great cook and pics as always.  Shiner Bock for the win.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Very nice sir 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    THAT WFO Tho :heart:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    This heat wave is gonna get worse before it gets better.  Kudos for braving the heat.  Your food looks really tasty!

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    This... is poetry. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Very very nice !! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    You don't disappoint, love your posts! 
    O-Town, FL

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Top notch as always Brother!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    As usual....I just shake my head and marvel at your work.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    my wife asked me what I wanted to do with my life the other day and I think I now know 
    SciAggie teach me
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    106° at 7AM?! Have you calibrated that thermo? =) It was 50something here this morning! 66° now. 

Nice cook - as always!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    106° at 7AM?! Have you calibrated that thermo? =) It was 50something here this morning! 66° now. 

Nice cook - as always!
    7:00 PM. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    SciAggie said:

Nice cook - as always!
    7:00 PM. 
    Ahh, so it was. :blush:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    As usual @SciAggie. I hate you so good. Outstanding as always! You make me want to get a wood fired oven built at my next house.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited July 2018
    Hawg Fan said:
    This heat wave is gonna get worse before it gets better.  Kudos for braving the heat.  Your food looks really tasty!

You are in Rockwall? I am too. PM Me.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    Awesome cook!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Fantastic looking cook. Yeah I’m over this heat. Was 109° yesterday here in Midland.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Awesome cook! 100+ here as well. Forecast is 100+ for the next 7-10 days. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    Fantastic!  What temps do you find work best for your dough?  For me it seems like around 650 on the floor with an overhead flame like that is about perfect. Pizza takes maybe 2 - 2.5 min. If I get up to 700+ on the floor- even with a 00 dough- I can burn the bottom before the top is nicely cooked. 
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • SciAggie
    Wanasmoke said:
    Fantastic!  What temps do you find work best for your dough?  For me it seems like around 650 on the floor with an overhead flame like that is about perfect. Pizza takes maybe 2 - 2.5 min. If I get up to 700+ on the floor- even with a 00 dough- I can burn the bottom before the top is nicely cooked. 
    You know, it’s interesting - I find the wood oven has a temp it “likes”. If I don’t push it, it seems to settle at about 600-650 on the floor as you said and the dome is usually 900ish. The pizzas are done as you say in 2:00 - 2:30 minutes. 
    Don’t tell her (shhhh), but my wife puts on too many toppings and the pizzas cook better if they take a bit longer. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon