Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a tried and true recipe for a once removed gumbo virgin.

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
3 days ago a neighbor lady sent over a large container of left over gumbo and rice. She was reared in FL by a Deep South mother. Honestly I have never tasted gumbo in my life! It was delicious but with what very little I have ever read I believe it had the right major ingredients such as shredded chicken, Orka, rice, something fairly oily and then also sliced sausage. The sausage was not hot nor spicy which I assume maybe she and her company might not have liked.

Just the same I am hooked on trying to make some gumbo I might like better. So, you Southern Eggers...shoot me some tried and true recipes so this life long flat lander in MO and IL can appreciate that gumbo! TIA
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    edited July 2018
    Andouille sausage, chicken, rice and filé but also like okra, go into our gumbo.

The recipe we love the most is from the New Orleans School of Cooking.  We had a great time! https://neworleansschoolofcooking.com/ Unfortunately just looking around didn’t reveal a recipe. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Gumbo is something that changes every time according to what you have on hand. I am out of town right now but if this is still on page one tomorrow nightI will pull up Mom’s recipe. The oily part was likely the roux.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Thanks for the leads already! I know I could have just copped out and did a recipe or topic search, but since we have new eggers comeing in every week why not give them a chance to rise and shine! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    RRP said:
    Thanks for the leads already! I know I could have just copped out and did a recipe or topic search, but since we have new eggers comeing in every week why not give them a chance to rise and shine! 
    You know, with the recent antics of @SGH I'm not sure "rising and shining" should be encouraged.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    RRP said:
    Just the same I am hooked on trying to make some gumbo I might like better. So, you Southern Eggers...shoot me some tried and true recipes 
    Ron, question if I may. Do you shave daily? Just kidding buddy. Can you make a good roux? If you can not, PM me your mailing address and I will send you a Powder roux that I make. You can simply add stock and you will have an instant roux that is darn near as good as home made. After all, a gumbo is only as good as the roux you start with. Now about that shave ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    I'd like to know specifically what that "something fairly oily" was. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SGH
    SonVolt said:
    I'd like to know what that something fairly oily was. 
    It was either oil from the roux or oil from the sausage. Or a combination of both. Roux is is made from oil and flower. And sausage is well, oily. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited July 2018
    @RRP
    Ron either PM or text me your mailing address. I will hook you up with an excellent powder roux mix that I make. Free off charge for you ole buddy. Number is:
    228-627-5400. 

Status- Standing by.

• SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    Maybe...  but he didn't say the dish was oily, he said something in it  was "fairly oily".  I'm sitting here thinking maybe turtle meat, or squid anus rings. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SGH
    SonVolt said:
    Maybe...  but he didn't say the dish was oily, he said something in it  was "fairly oily".  I'm sitting here thinking maybe turble meat or squid anus rings. 
    I see your point. But quality anus should not be oily =)

Status- Standing by.

• SonVolt
    edited July 2018
    @SGH - do you bake the flour in your oven for your powder roux mix?
  • SGH

SonVolt said:
    Maybe...  but he didn't say the dish was oily, he said something in it  was "fairly oily".  I'm sitting here thinking maybe turtle meat, or squid anus rings. 
    I would still put my money on the oil being from the roux and sausage. Several folks (myself included) use a higher oil ration than flower. This will yield a slightly oily gumbo. Which makes it all the better.

Status- Standing by.

• SonVolt
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's oily anus rings. 
  • SGH
    SonVolt said:
    @SGH - do you bake the flour in your oven for your powder roux mix?
    For the powdered roux yes I do. However, 95% of the time I make a roux from scratch. However it’s real handy to have powdered roux on hand at times so I always have a gallon bad of it on hand. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Ron is either sleeping or shaving. 

Status- Standing by.

• SonVolt
    Cool. I seem to remember Cooks Illustrated saying you could bake the flour in the oven for a fool-proof method to making roux golden brown without burning it. 
  • SGH
    SonVolt said:
    Cool. I seem to remember Cooks Illustrated saying you could bake the flour in the oven for a fool-proof method to making roux golden brown without burning it. 
    It’s not 100% foolproof. But it is very easy. I have ruined them before when I got distracted. 

Status- Standing by.

• 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    edited July 2018
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I've done the baked flour method, the hand stirred pot method and my favorite method of using a microwave for the roux! 
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I make a great four beer roux.  Perfect brown color.   If I try pushing it to five, I usually end up saying F-it and calling Pizza Hut. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    Ron, if the gumbo works out try your hand at etoueffe.  Maybe one of the only southern style things that Iike more than good gumbo is a good seafood etoufee.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    I’m not southern by any means, but this is my go to. Got it out of Garden and Gun last year and I make it a couple times a summer when we have a crowd at our beach place. Outstanding. 

https://gardenandgun.com/recipe/lulu-buffett-seafood-gumbo-recipe/
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    @CornfedMA that recipe looks awesome!  I like doing equal parts oil and flour, but I wouldn’t change anything else.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    @thetrim we absolutely love it. We don’t get many blue crabs up here, so alot of the time I end up substituting lobster meat. One of our neighbors is lobsterman so we can get them cheap and in abundance. 

FWIW- making your own seafood stock takes it to the next level. 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    This has been my go to gumbo recipe for a few years now... right amount of heat so it warms you through with out burning the pallet. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/chicken-and-smoked-sausage-gumbo-3645600.amp
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    The most important ingredient in gumbo is to cook your whole chickens/turkey on your egg.  Pull the breast and thigh meat and make your stock with the rest of the bird. Pre-cooking your sausage on the egg will also render a good bit of the fat and add some more smoke.  I prefer a less oily gumbo.  Generally I bake my flour for the roux.  Haven't tried egging my flour yet, but plan to next time I make it.  Baking the flour can really smell up a kitchen and a broiler can ignite the flour.   If you cook your proteins and stock ahead of time, you can refrigerate and skim the fat from the stock.  It can be time consuming but this makes an awesome, relatively healthy gumbo.
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    SGH said:
    Or skeered to give you his address!   LMAO 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH said:
    Or skeered to give you his address!   LMAO 
    He knows if I get his address that he will receive shaving products in the mail everyday =)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Ron, this is not a hijack. Just sharing something I know you will like. I have it on good authority that copper lathering bowls will be available this fall from Captains Choice. A copper bowl will be a much better choice for traveling than ceramic or porcelain. Here is a shot of the prototype.

Status- Standing by.