Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever used Shirataki Noodles in a stir fry?

Options
I'm down over 60 lbs since last year - and just now stumbled onto these apparently lo-carb, lo-cal noodles.  So, I'm real interested if they cook, taste and eat ok.  I've read that they absorb flavors well.  Would REALLY like to get some broader recipes going in my arsenal and to use the wok in my LBGE more - with noodles!  So, anyone got any experience with them?
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Congrats on the 60LBS!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    i've cooked with them a couple of times, and thought they were pretty good. Available at the grocery store, which is very convenient, but we don't eat noodles at home very often.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Options
    I have had them in the past.  Important to follow initial cooking directions (Drain, Rinse, Boil, Cook in hot pan, then into whatever dish you are making).  If you skip this step, you will have rubberbands.  Otherwise, they are quite good. 
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have not stir fried them, but they behave like most noodles, less likely to get mushy.  They have a weird rubbery texture, not bad, but different. 

I have a case of them in my pantry right now.
    Options
    Chris8938 said:
    I have had them in the past.  Important to follow initial cooking directions (Drain, Rinse, Boil, Cook in hot pan, then into whatever dish you are making).  If you skip this step, you will have rubberbands.  Otherwise, they are quite good. 
    Good to hear - from what little research I've done, I've seen similar recommendations, except for the boiling part...but def cook in the hot pan to help dry them out so that they can take on the flavor.

How's the mouthfeel/texture?

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Outstanding on hitting 60!

Although not exactly low carb, Birdseye veggie pasta is pretty decent if/when you get ready to transition into a macro diet.
    Gittin' there...
  • RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Options
    Skip them!! Nasty tasting slimy. Can not recommend. Spaghetti Squash is way better and more like real noodles. Shiritaki smells and taste like fish. Just my opinion
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 59
    Options
    they tasted fine but my stomach **did not** know what to do with them. Felt like a brick of lead in my gut for about 36hrs.