Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Joetisserie cook

Hey all,

I bought myself a joetisserie for my large bge and would like to start with a simple chicken. Anyone know of a recipe for this application, particularly prepping of chicken (rubs, etc), temps?

Thx! 
Central Florida

Comments

• Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    I'm a big fan of Montreal chicken seasoning on my chix but I always spatch. Haven't coughed up the dough for a joetisserie yet.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    It makes a fine chicken. Make sure you truss or tie up the legs and wings to prevent them from getting to dark.

Also, bank the coals to the back of the firebox. I use a foil drip pan to catch chicken fat
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• zman51
    zman51 Posts: 133
    ColtsFan said:
    It makes a fine chicken. Make sure you truss or tie up the legs and wings to prevent them from getting to dark.

Also, bank the coals to the back of the firebox. I use a foil drip pan to catch chicken fat
    Thx

Do you cook direct, no platesetter?
    Central Florida
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    zman51 said:
    ColtsFan said:

Thx

Do you cook direct, no platesetter?
    yes, direct
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Depending on how hot you cook it, you may want to watch the amount of seasoning in your rub.  I ran into a charring problem the first cook I did on my Joetissorie.  
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • zman51
    thx.. recommended temp?
    Central Florida
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    I've done 350-375 with the Joetisserie.  I pull the chicken out the day before the cook, separate the skin from the rest and rub salt/seasonings between the skin/meat.  Let it air dry in the fridge overnight and then cook it.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • @zman51 you've got all the right advice from baychilla and coltsfan. Follow above and you'll be GTG. 

Seriously though, push that fire to the far back and put a drip pan in or you will be in for quite the stinky fireball. 

If you have a Kickash basket they also sell a coal divider for them. I started using one with the Joetisserie and it really helps keeping that fire on one side of the Egg.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• zman51
    Thx all. I do have the kickash, I will see if I can find a divider before weekend
    Central Florida
  • I just bought a Joetisserie for my XL, haven't used it yet, and after reading about it in here, I just now ordered a Kick Ash basket divider. Anxious to try them both.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    I'm interested in a Joetisserie for my LBGE. Is this something that needs to be attached permanently? Does it prevent smothering the coals after your done cooking?
  • dannys said:
    I'm interested in a Joetisserie for my LBGE. Is this something that needs to be attached permanently? Does it prevent smothering the coals after your done cooking?
    It isn't attached permanently. It fits over the rim of the egg and merely lifts off after use. The base is angled in such a manner that the lid may be closed while cooking if desired.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    I'll just add to EggbertGreenlls comment that I remove the ring prior to smothering as even were I to return the spit it allows too much airflow for my tastes.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Great!  Thanks for the replies!

How many chickens do you think you can get on a LBGE?

• dannys said:
    Great!  Thanks for the replies!

How many chickens do you think you can get on a LBGE?

You can do 3 on the rotisserie. I've done 5 spatchcock birds with a Woo second rack. After that you start covering up too much skin.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN