Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Favorite Pizza

Options
Greetings-

We had this at the ENO pizzeria & wine bar that is in the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego. They have sadly taken it off their menu but I think this is pretty close:

1 lb or a little less of lean ground beef
1/2 cup (or to your preference) chopped onion
1000 island dressing - a good version (Ken's, Kraft, Newman's own)
1/3 cup chopped tomato
3 sweet gherkin or small dill pickles chopped or diced (your preference)
1 handful of chopped lettuce or arugula
4+ slices yellow American cheese (NOT velveeta or Kraft, get these from the deli counter)
Ketchup
Mustard

Yes, this is a cheeseburger pizza but I think the dressing and arugula take it up a notch.

1. Brown the lean ground beef until about 2/3 done and then add the onions to soften them up and finish the beef. I feel that the lean beef works better once on the pizza. Set aside for the moment.

2. Roll out/unwrap your dough of choice and liberally cover with the 1000 island dressing. Then squirt a couple of revolutions of ketchup and mix into the dressing with a spoon.

3. Cover dressing with beef/onion mixture, pepper or spice to taste.

4. Fold each piece of yellow American cheese twice to create four squares and place squares on top of beef/onion mixture creating a complete blanket (or close to it). Pizza is now ready for grill.

I would not pretend to know the best Egg set up for pizza, many people wiser than I have weighed in on that. For this one I did grid raised to the felt level, then spacers, then pizza stone at 600 degrees, rotating the pizza on the stone 120° every 3.5 minutes until done.

5. When removed from the grill, spread the tomato and pickles on top, then sprinkle with the lettuce, and put on revolutions of mustard to your preference (I went a little nuts on this one but what the heck).

The 1000 island dressing will sort of caramelize on the crust and that sweetness against the pickles, beef, & onions is very tasty. This cheese was a little dry so it didn't melt as much as I would have liked but still nice and chewy.
Thanks for reading, have a great week!

Cheers,

Chris
St. Louis, MO
Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn

Comments