Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA - Smoking-Meat.com Thermapen Mk4 Sale - July 11 & 12 for $79.20

Options
https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4-DOD-July18-SM?tw=SMOKINGMEAT

No affiliation - just got the email and thought I'd share.  Love mine!
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Free silicone boot too.....that's a good deal.  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Still twice as expensive as the equally good Pop. 
  • NautiRogue
    NautiRogue Posts: 118
    Options
    I love my Thermapen, but I've always had troubles with it not turning on when I unfold the probe.  Sometimes, I have to refold and unfold about 10 times before the pen turns on.  Has anyone else had the same issue?

Regardless, this issue didn't stop me from taking advantage of this offer.  I bought the new one for home, and I'll take the old one up to our marina for use with the Mini Max portable kitchen.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I love my Thermapen, but I've always had troubles with it not turning on when I unfold the probe.  Sometimes, I have to refold and unfold about 10 times before the pen turns on.  Has anyone else had the same issue?

Regardless, this issue didn't stop me from taking advantage of this offer.  I bought the new one for home, and I'll take the old one up to our marina for use with the Mini Max portable kitchen.

there was a thread on this earlier I have Mk4 no issues

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1213953/bad-thermapen-luck/p1

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    ...Sometimes, I have to refold and unfold about 10 times before the pen turns on.  Has anyone else had the same issue?...
    Never
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My original does this sometimes. I just assumed my battery was going dead, but since it turns on still i havent worried about replacing it.
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I should probably pick one up since my thremapop died. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    No issues here, love mine. Got it for the same price last year for Father’s Day 
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    No issues with mine.  Did you drop it in water or something? 

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Mine is the previous style. Had no issues. Use it all the time. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    My MK4 was in the bottom of the sink when I filled it up to do dishes. 10 min later i found it and water literally ran out of it. A month later it works perfectly. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Great deal with the silicone sleeve.  Looks like some of the competition is having an effect on prices.

Phoenix