Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the grill and cooking at the same time

Options
Well after talking about Peter Lugers Steak house today I had a craving for some steak
The wife just so happened to pull some steaks out of the freezer the other night and I wanted to do a clean burn on the egg as it has been neglected for a while so Ill kill 2 birds with one stone
I filled the grill with some lump and lit it im now letting it get to around 700 and then ill through these beauties on the cast iron grate and hopefully they come out perfect.
Just a little salt and pepper will probably add some butter once on the egg
After I pull the steaks ill add the racks that are all dirty and ill keep the egg going for an hour or so as to burn off all the grease and gunk Ive built up this summer so far. 
More importantly ill be eating a little bit of heaven will pair with some charred broccoli and yellow squash and unfortunately only water tonight. The wife and I are still hurting from this weekend and have another big weekend coming up so we need to hydrate and detox.
Ill post the finished photos once done.
Thanks for looking have a great night

Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    My dog prefers to clean them cold.  I guess your method works as well. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    My dog prefers to clean them cold.  I guess your method works as well. 
    Has your dog ever gotten her name tag stuck in the grate and come screaming around to the front of the house dragging the grate behind her? No? Mine either. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    and the finish
    Just to note the yellow squash and broccoli are from my garden the leeks ares tore bought
    Long Island NY    
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Nice cook & clean !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    OMG. Now I’m hungry!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Options
    That is what I am talking about!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Way to take the thought and turn it into incredible results.  Great cook right there.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Looks delish. Love the char with the perfect medium rare inside.

What is this cleaning you talk about? High heat for an hour? Looks like I have something else to research.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • mlc2013
    Options
    I’ve done a few low and slows in the grill and all the grates were covered in grease so figured I’d get the egg up to 700° for an hour or so to soften everything and cook it off just to make cleaning a lot easier.  I’m sure that’s not the best way or easiest way but for a lazy man like me I like it 
    Long Island NY    
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'll be that guy. You burned the crust... but I would still eat it. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • mlc2013
    Options
    SonVolt said:
     I like to call it exceptionally charred. LOL
      But yes you are correct the flame as you can see in the photo got a little out of control when I put that butter on but all in all still was a great meal 
    Long Island NY    
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Bam!  Cooked perfectly.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Yeah I wasn’t gonna say it but I thought thats a little too charred for me but still looks great. 

Little Rock, AR

• mlc2013
    Options
    Biggreenpharmacist yes normally I dont let the crust go so far, this is why one should never cook high heat outside while cooking something else inside you get distracted and that distraction cost me some extra char but with that said it was very tasty so i was ok with it was upset when i pulled it off and said sh$t i ruined it but was like all good when i ate it
    Long Island NY