Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - tablet recommendations

Looking at purchasing one here in the next 2 weeks. 
Trying to decide between ipad pro and surface tablet 

Main functions would be photo storage /editing/  sharing and uploading. (Decoy reference pics)
 Also in an attempt to cut down on the junk in my office (both home and work) I would like to use evernote to store and turn my important school notes into searchable PDF's.

I would also like to keep future CE conference notes on this, and would like to take notes during lecture.

I really dont have a preference in operating system as I'm barely capable in both so I'd basically be starting from scratch in learning functionality.

I like the ipad for durability and app selection
I like the pro for the fact I dont have to have 50 million connectors to upload with an SD vs microSD...

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Surface Pro.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I have the iPad Pro and I love it, but I do not use it to do anything with photos, other than to take one on occasion (as a simple means of document capture).  

I use it to take notes (no more paper notebooks for me!) and mark up pdfs.  It’s great.  I use Dropbox for file transfer, but there are probably simpler options.  If you get one the Apple pencil is a must.

I think that if you’re going to do any serious work composing documents of your own, the Surface is maybe a better option.  I’ve seen others with them and to me they’re nearly perfect as a hybrid tablet/ lightweight laptop.  I do have a keyboard for my iPad but I almost never use it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Thunder
    Thunder Posts: 10
    Agree, Surface Pro
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    TTT, would like some more insight from users please 
  • I love my iPad Pro 
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    iPad for me. 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    There are pluses for both. I have a 12.9 iPad, in part because I got an exceptional deal on it, about $400 off, but also because Affinity Photo had just been released for it. $50, no subscription fee, about 2 years of free updates. The pencil is fantastic for drawing.

My daughter, who has Photoshop, went w. a Surface Pro because it was somewhat less expensive. She does think the Apple pencil is noticeably better for drawing.

If you don't have a Mac to transfer photos, etc to/from, you will most likely need to store lots of work in the cloud, which can take lots of transfer time depending one your service.
  • DuckDogDr
    Can you print normally like laptops
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I had an iPad Pro that was just a few months old and got stolen.  I didn’t love it for short term laptop replacement.  I replaced it with a Surface and love it.  Much better part-time laptop.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited July 2018
    DuckDogDr said:
    Can you print normally like laptops
    Yes. You can print from your phone as well.  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited July 2018
    If you have an I phone, I’d get the Ipad for the cloud sharing service so you get everything at your fingertips on either device. Otherwise, its a toss up. Apple’s build quality is second to none though. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Surface Pro. Get the i5 processor and 8GB RAM minimal
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I have both. The answer is it depends. I use my iPad the most, it allows me to consume data easily. When it comes to getting work done, I use the surface. I can get information into it easier. Plus mouse support is huge. 
  • DuckDogDr
    @ColtsFan is the i7 worth the extra cost
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    DuckDogDr said:
    @ColtsFan is the i7 worth the extra cost
    With the uses that you have listed an i5 would be fine. If you plan on doing heavy photo editing with professional software, Adobe Creative Cloud, i.e. Photoshop, I would opt for the i7.

RAM is what would benefit you the most. If you could get an i5 and 16 GB of RAM I would jump on it. I'm just not sure they offer that configuration.

I have several clients that have the i7 and 16 GB RAM and they are baller systems. Worth the extra $800 for your needs, I'm not sure .. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Blue Horse always worked for me...
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    depends...

do you want it to work as the day you bought it two years from now?

If so, buy the Apple product...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• EGGHEAD83
    EGGHEAD83 Posts: 61
    iPad all the way. Typing on it right now. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    we have an IPAD but do not use it.  I use an andriod tablet instead even though I have an IPHONE
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    all techs use IPAD Mini's ver 2 through 4 no issues get abused work like a champ
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    The cheapest Surface has just been announced:  https://petapixel.com/2018/07/10/microsofts-399-surface-go-is-the-smallest-and-cheapest-surface-yet/
    ...but, Apple's newest iPads are supposed to be announced before the end of summer (don't have a link right now).
    I know, not much help, just FYSA.  I got a free Amazon pad a couple years ago with my new roof?  Cable?  Can't remember.  I played with it about a month, never really took to it.  A few months ago I got a Wacom tablet to use with my iMac on Apple's Photo and Affinity, but after a month put it away, never really took to it either.  I'm toying with buying the top iPad/Pencil when its released this year, but not sure yet (for the record, I use a Windoze machine all day at work and Macs at home all night).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• DuckDogDr
    Thanks for all the answers.  Really giving me alot to consider. ..gotta wait until next payday anyhow 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited July 2018
    billt01 said:
    depends...

do you want it to work as the day you bought it two years from now?

If so, buy the Apple product...
    The Surface hardware is way better than the crappy Windows laptops that were commonplace a few years ago. And Windows 10 is incredibly stable compared to what I had come to expect from Windows. Windows 8 and 8.1 were confused. Windows 7 was a decent desktop experience, but when trying to be a tablet OS, it was terrible. Windows 10 provides a desktop UI when used with a keyboard, and tablet UI when no keyboard is attached.

I've used Apple products since the IIe (have an Apple Lisa on a shelf in the basement), and DOS/Windows stuff since way back when as well. Also, Linux stuff for over 20 years. The Microsoft of today is nothing like they used to be, and that's a good thing. Just a few years ago, there's no way you could have gotten me to say a good thing about M$, but I'm really impressed with what they've done under Satya's leadership. Their embrace of open source is, quite frankly, shockingly well executed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't let impressions of MS that may be of even just a few years ago impact a purchase of their current offerings.

I think I'm going to dig up a TI-99/4A and find a modem...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DuckDogDr
    Talked with the guys at work. They have an IT guy that is approved or whatever by Microsoft to work on that one if needed
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    DMW said:

I think I'm going to dig up a TI-99/4A and find a modem...
    Ha!  I haven't heard anyone mention the TI-99 in 30 years.  I cut my teeth on a Commodore 64 with a cassette tape back-up.  I can honestly say I've never missed that Paper weight.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Apple’s build quality is second to none though. 
    In no way am I a computer guru. I’m more of a professional shaver and amateur cook. With that said, I agree 100% with the above quoted. I have Apple phones, Apple iPads and Apple TV boxes. None of them have ever gave me one second of trouble. No one. Hard to complain about that. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    I have both, if primarily used as a tablet I’d go with the IPad Pro. I find the SP to be somewhat awkward as a tablet, so it’s paired with a Brydge keyboard and used as a laptop. 
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr