Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Another Bucket List Item

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited July 2018 in Off Topic
After hiking the W at Torres del Paine in Chile last year, my son and I now have a reservation at Blue Hill at Stone Barns. I would take my amazing wife, but this would be wasted on her. Val’s idea of taking a culinary risk is Manhattan Clam Chowder instead of New England, but I do love her so.

Ranked 17 of the top 50 restaurants in the world last year, 1 Michelin star. Seriously looking forward to this culinary adventure.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Nice.

I've done the Grey Glacier and the French Valley. Ran out of time to do the 3rd leg but what an amazing place!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Well if I would have known this was on the table I would have stayed up and fed Mortimer all night. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• CTMike
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Nice.

I've done the Grey Glacier and the French Valley. Ran out of time to do the 3rd leg but what an amazing place!
    Agreed, it was an incredible trip. I wanted to do the loop, but my son couldn’t get enough time off. Maybe another time. Sadly on the last day it was rainy and overcast so we didn’t bother to hike up to the Torres. Huge bummer. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Well if I would have known this was on the table I would have stayed up and fed Mortimer all night. 
    Lol. Funny how all those who volunteered to help feed Mortimer disappeared when the time came to nut up - @DMW

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Lol. Funny how all those who volunteered to help feed Mortimer disappeared when the time came to nut up - @DMW
    Ooopps. #headhunginshame
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    CTMike said:
    In DMWs defense. By the time it was his turn to feed the fire, his BAC was about 40 proof mixed with scrapple fat.

Probably not the safest combo. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• CTMike
    Options
    DMW said:
    CTMike said:
    Ooopps. #headhunginshame
    No shame in your game dude, by the time your shift came around, you were blind, bulletproof, invisible, and most likely flammable. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Have you ever been to Popeye’s at the Atlanta airport?
    I’d have to muscle @bgebrent out of the way to get a seat. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't get the macaroni...

JK :smiley: Sounds like y'all are in for quite a treat.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    thetrim said:
    yes, and their spicy chicken and dirty rice is the bomb...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• CTMike
    Options
    caliking said:
    Whatever you do, don't get the macaroni...

JK :smiley: Sounds like y'all are in for quite a treat.

Thanks. Since our reservation is so late at night, we are going in to the city to have lunch at Ivan Ramen. So we will knock off 2 Chef's Table restaurants on the same day.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • rtgurley
    rtgurley Posts: 44
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Couldn't find the Popeye's.  Had to settle for a burger at Five Guys
    XL BGE 
    Saints fan stuck in Dallas
  • CTMike
    edited July 2018
    Options
    So a chance to eat at Blue Hill fell in to my lap last night, so my wife and I jumped on it. This restaurant epitomizes that farm-to-table movement, as everything served to us was grown/raised/harvested from the farm, and a couple of surrounding others. 

The building itself used to be the Rockefeller families dairy farm, just a gorgeous setting. You can arrive early and tour the grounds, barns, etc prior to your seating. Highly recommend doing this if you go. 

Our seating lasted 3 hours, and included approximately 30 bites/small plates. Each dish was explained to us by the server. You start out with many different veggies/greens, that are all eaten with your hands as they don’t provide flatware until later in the meal. 

About one third of the way through we were invited to the bakery where the head baker gives a little talk on how the terroir affects the food grown. This was highlighted by serving us two different slices of bread, both made of Einkorn wheat, and both made using the exact same recipe. One grain was from North Dakota, the other from the NY Finger Lakes region. One slice was a little thicker/denser, and the other was lighter/more airy. 

There is no menu, you get what the chef decides to serve you, based on what’s available seasonally, and any food allergies/aversions you’ve informed them of (for Val it was no organ meat or mushrooms). We missed out on a couple of courses when we signaled we were hitting a wall when we didn’t finish the amazing pork small plate. It was still followed by 4 courses of dessert. 

I am still going with my son and daughter in law in September, will be interesting to see how the menu changes between now and then. 

Anyhow, if farm-to-table appeals to you, this place is a must try. They release reservations at midnight, 60 days in advance. Very hard to get but doable if you are a night owl. 

Currently the restaurant/Chef Dan Barber have 1 Michelin Star, and it is ranked #12 in the world this year in the Top 50. 

Note: These are some stock photos, I am nowhere that good of a photographer. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Super kewl Mike.  Thanks for sharing!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95