Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Naan on a flipped over wok

Options
HeavyG
HeavyG Posts: 10,348
Modernist Cuisine just published a new article today regarding baking flatbread on your grill.

They mention a tava dome which I have never seen (only flat ones) but also mention the clever idea of using a wok either up or down (not sure if that is a tava dome or a wok in the pix) which is one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments. I've got an old 18" wok I haven't used in years that will soon have its handles removed and will be used upside down.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Haven't used an inverted wok but I cook flat breads on my baking steel quite frequently. I wouldn't imagine a wok would retain enough heat by comparison. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    You mean you actually cook stuff?

Just kidding man - I look forward to hearing about your results trying this approach.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Here I thought you might have actually posted a cook rather than antagonize conservatives or push KJ.  shoulda known better...
  • HeavyG
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Haven't used an inverted wok but I cook flat breads on my baking steel quite frequently. I wouldn't imagine a wok would retain enough heat by comparison. 
    Since it is continuously over a source of high heat it really doesn't need to retain heat as it will quickly get back to temp. At least that is what I'm thinking.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    Here I thought you might have actually posted a cook rather than antagonize conservatives or push KJ.  shoulda known better...
    When I do this I'll be sure to post a pix* of it which would also show my "Fvck Trump" beer caddie sitting on my KJ Big Joe side shelf.

Ok...I don't even own a "Fvck Trump" beer caddie or a KJ Big Joe but i might go buy them if just for the lulz.

* like that would ever happen

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Calling @caliking

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If I remember right (too lazy to search), @caliking 's technique is more 'authentic', he slaps the naan on hot CI pan and inverts it over the fire, so one side of the naan kisses live fire similar to cooking in tandoor.  
    canuckland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If I remember right (too lazy to search), @caliking 's technique is more 'authentic', he slaps the naan on hot CI pan and inverts it over the fire, so one side of the naan kisses live fire similar to cooking in tandoor.  
    I think the quote was "It has to see the fire"
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Calling @caliking
    Present! :)

@HeavyG - this is actually a hybrid technique. The inverted wok is usually used to make "roomali roti" (literally translated= handkerchief roti).

Check this vid:
    https://youtu.be/p93yGmc6fNY

Naan needs to "see" the fire i.e. one side cooks on the heated surface, the other side cooks from direct radiant heat. Naans are thicker, while roomali rotis are much thinner and delicate. I've never seen a restaurant in the US making roomali roti, probably because it takes some skill to make the rotis that thin.

BTW, the place in London where the video above was filmed, has been on my list of places to eat whenever I should next find myself in London.  They have several locations there. Their menu is phenomenal.

Please post when you try this yourself. Always cool to hear of new techniques being tried. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    edited July 2018
    Options
    My neighbor makes it in his blackstone pizza oven and it is delicious!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SonVolt said:
    Since it is continuously over a source of high heat it really doesn't need to retain heat as it will quickly get back to temp. At least that is what I'm thinking.
    I think you’re right. The domes that I’ve seen being used have not been very thick. Plus the roti is quite thin, so it cooks quickly on high heat. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, neat idea, and good discussion.  Always learning new stuff here.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.