Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Final Duck night update(pics) WOW!

ronbeaux
ronbeaux Posts: 988
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Q-babe, you were right. There is a fine line between "buttery soft" and dry. Fortunately I pulled them at buttery. At 145 internal I didn't like the look of the juice, although I did taste it and it was GREAT! So I put them all on the large for another 10 minutes at 325 and they stopped "leaking" and were still VERY tender.[p]Not yet

ducks002.jpg[p]
[p]Just right!

ducks004.jpg[p]
ducks003.jpg[p]
[p]Thanks to everybody! Next time I'll do em the same way. Brine overnight, setup the egg at 325, and cook until 155 internal. And oh yeah. Cheat with the bacon.

Comments

• Newbs
    Newbs Posts: 188
    ronbeaux,[p]I had no idea that duck would be that dark. I knew that it was darker than chicken breast but I expected it to resemble the dark meat of a chicken or a turkey. That looks more like a beef kind of dark. Glad it turned out for you. Have to wait for my lady to be away to try the duck. She isn't a fan of duck.[p]Cheers,[p]John[p]
  • ronbeaux
    Newbs,
    Man, I gotta tell ya. This stuff was almost like a filet with a hint of liver, just a hint. Just got back from the inlaws and all I got left is bones.

• ronbeaux,
    Great job!! Being a fellow Louisianaian (sp?), I get a freezer full of ducks myself from friends. Never get them whole, as my friends all cut the breasts out. Not sure if you've ever tried it but this is a great way to cook the breasts.... similar to abt[p]smear cream chese on butterflied breast, layer jalapenos, roll up, wrap in bacon. delicious.[p]i will request that they leave a few whole for me so that I can try your recipe.

• ronbeaux
    El Jefe,
    Funny you should post. That is exactly what I'm gonna do with some tomorrow. Just like it was a quail or dove only inside out. These were the breasteses only. The guy said its easier to clean that way. I'm not complaining!! If it were whole I would stuff the inside with dirty rice(cooked) and still cook at the same temps until I got the whole thing up to at least 155.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    ronbeaux,[p]Congratulations - it looks terrific! [p]If you have the opportunity to cook a whole duck with the skin on, you will probably find it radically different. Domestic ducks just pour fat from the skin and, if its not melted off, offend some people. Wild ducks have far less fat in the layer beneath the skin but its still there. One of the challenges is to melt off the fat and still get crispy skin - this is the what makes a good Peking Duck so magnificent!
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    ronbeaux,[p]Glad it turned out well for you. Now you've got me wanting duck![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Newbs,
    That comment reminds me of the lunch we had in a bistro in Cannes, France: sliced duck breast surrounding a green salad. The meat was cooked so perfectly, flavored appropriately and the color of beef that I had to ask the waitress - after tasting it - if they had gotten our order wrong and used beef. They had not, and it was some of the best duck that we have eaten.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    ronbeaux,
    Nice job! Bacon was a nice way to insure moisture. What about the saltiness: 24 hour brine and then bacon?