Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloins Test, To SV or Not ?

Options
I started with 2 pork tenderloins seasoned with EVOO,Rosemary,Thyme,Oregano and S&P.  Both vac packed just to keep things fair 

Just out of SV @130 and the other one has been out of the fridge for 30mins   The SV one hit an ice bath before the searing so both would hit the egg relatively close in temp. 

On the large with cherry at 400° just flipped after 2mins   The one in the back is the SV one 

Another flip.  SV one is in the front 

And pulled with similar temps. The cooler one is the SV one 

Plated up with SV carrots and brussel sprouts. The meat on left is the SV and on the right is straight up egged.  IMHO the just egged although it looks stringy had the better taste and texture.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That's a rock solid experiment right there!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Raised direct, 400° a tenderloin is done in 5 in per side (20 total). And those veggies can be steamed in about 5-7 min. This contest is no contest. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Raised direct, 400° a tenderloin is done in 5 in per side (20 total). And those veggies can be steamed in about 5-7 min. This contest is no contest. =)
    I agree with you on the meat but disagree with you on the veggies. I would like to see you get the taste of the herbs on the veggies by just steaming.  

Maybe I should’ve just done both in the oven.!! Lol 

analyze adapt overcome

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Maybe I should’ve just done both in the oven.!! Lol 
    No, that only works for pizza. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Nice comparison test. Hard to beat an egged tenderloin. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    That’s crazy. I literally did the same thing tonight after my wife asked it we should Sous Vide the whole pack. 

The lack of fat fat in a tenderloin made me think “meh”. 

Same results. I was doing good with my Army of minions to get drinks out and food on plates so I didn’t get any pics but we were underwhelmed with the Sous Vide tenderloin. 

Only change is I marinated. Awesome post. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

The lack of fat fat in a tenderloin made me think “meh”. 

I wonder if it really is the lack of fat because I really like SV chicken breast and there is no fat there either.   Idk 

analyze adapt overcome